Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #31
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,616 Times in 2,667 Posts

Then there's always the proof and service load table in the barrels chapter of TPS. People seem to want avoid that pressure information and invent their own pressure limits.

Guess its foolhardy to drive the old SL above 60 mph also.

Last edited by Bruce Day; 09-13-2010 at 10:11 PM..
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #32
Mike Stahle
Forum Associate

Member Info

Well guys I did the unthinkable with a Damascus barreled
parker and shot 5 rounds of these smokeless shells through each barrel today.

The old girl didn’t even flinch for a second. She said just bring it.
For what it’s worth, the recoil was noticeable less than the same load in
MagTech with BP. Wow! this old girl shoots a very tight pattern.
I repeatedly flipped an old 5 gal. Kerosene oil can over at 40 paces with this load of #8 shot. All the shot cups were found within 10 to 15 feet of the can. And for what it’s worth the barrel didn’t blow up or split, and I still have all my fingers.
Mike Stahle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #33
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Be careful in saying anything. You'll have the low pressure police after you.

I've shot thousands of rounds of moderate pressure factory shells through my damascus guns, as have other major collectors I know. One of the most significant collectors buys shells from Wal-Mart and blasts away with high grade guns, yet he won't say anything here because of adverse comments it would raise. Others buy Win AA Lights and Ultra Lights by the multi case lot, one even buys a pallet every year and fires away through a damascus AH.

But, over the years, I have seen several guns rupture. All have been fluid steel barreled. Proof positive that you need to be careful in shooting fluid steel guns.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Pressure VS Shot Column
Unread 09-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #34
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Pressure VS Shot Column

Gentlemen: I was cleaning up the disks today, and came across this figure which appeared in Parker Pages a few years ago. It shows that regardless what the guys in the grey flannel suits say, chamber pressure is simply a function of the length of the shot column.
Parkers are strong, they will take a lot of heavy loads without saying uncle. Along the way to uncle , chips will appear behind the tang, and the stock will begin to show some space along side the tang.
Remember that 80% of Parkers were made when 3/4 ounce was a twenty gauge load, 7/8 ounce a 16 ga load, 1 or 1 1/8 in a twelve, amd 1 1/4 ounce in a ten.

Best, Austin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P vs Lweb.jpg (47.2 KB, 12 views)
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 06:34 AM   #35
Mike Stahle
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
Be careful in saying anything. You'll have the low pressure police after you.
I've shot thousands of rounds of moderate pressure factory shells through my damascus guns, as have other major collectors I know. One of the most significant collectors buys shells from Wal-Mart and blasts away with high grade guns, yet he won't say anything here because of adverse comments it would raise. Others buy Win AA Lights and Ultra Lights by the multi case lot, one even buys a pallet every year and fires away through a damascus AH.

But, over the years, I have seen several guns rupture. All have been fluid steel barreled. Proof positive that you need to be careful in shooting fluid steel guns.
Hummm… have we lost our “you know what’s” that bad?

An is it true question: I remember being either told or reading that a shotshell
will not rupture or blowup if it went off and or was set off outside of a gun barrel.
(NO this one I am not going to try no how)
Mike Stahle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #36
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I've urged folks to familiarize themselves with the proof and service loads table in TPS and to follow the shot loads for the gauge provided by Parker and reproduced in TPS, and as just restated by Austin. If a person keeps the shot charge down to what Parker recommended for the gauge and pushes that charge at moderate velocities, say 1050 to 1200fps, then most all the time, they will be below the service limits. And as has been noted by Dave Noreen, dram equivalents correlate to speed.

Some of the most extreme examples of low pressure police we have had here have been when they have told people who have heavy duck 2 frame 8lb 12's with .040-.050" wall thickness that they must shoot low pressure loads. That said, I'm not a fan of these 1 1/4oz or even more 12ga loads pushed at 1300-1450 fps that the manufacturers are making and touting as premium ( and costly) pheasant loads.

And Mike, I remember when I was a kid throwing a shotshell in the fire and running the other direction. Common sense prevailed and the expected result occurred.

Last edited by Bruce Day; 09-14-2010 at 08:24 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 09-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #37
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Bruce,

Well stated! While Parker barrels in good condition should withstand high pressure loads the stock will be damaged. I think the action will certainly also loosen after a diet of 8500-11000 PSI loads! The steel grades of 1890 were not what we have today.

From personal experiance, this early season I took 5 geese using 1 & 1/8 oz of Nice Shot #2 at 1200 FPS and 7000 PSI. I dropped two of those geese at 50 yards. I think that I need to load some 1 & 1/4 oz Nice Shot for my Parker 10 gauges! One never knows when a 60 yard shot will be needed..

Good shooting to all! Keep the pressure down and you'll be able to pass on your Parkers to the next generation!

Respectfully,
Mark
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 09-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #38
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

80,000 rounds later and the only part that loosened on my old ( 1921) PHE 16ga was the forend lug, which had to be resoldered. The hinge is still tight. Oh, and the hammer springs had to be replaced, and the ejector springs, and the top lever spring, the bolt plate replaced, the checkering recut, the barrels reblued, the stock refinished, and the trigger sears recut, and the ejector sears recut.....but other than that the action is tight, and most of those have been factory shells, and for the last 40 years 1 oz Rem and Win loads. More recently I've gone to 7/8oz loads for clays. Might help make the old girl last.

Here's the decrepit, well used 16ga, on the bottom...the top one is Charlie's usual bird gun, a VHE 12ga.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PHEChickens.jpg (60.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Bruce Day; 09-14-2010 at 11:00 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Another Old Illustration
Unread 09-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #39
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Another Old Illustration

Here is another old figure from the disc cleanup. It shows serial numbers and Parker events vs calendar year from Charlie's Serialization, TSP and other sources. The reason supporting 80% of Parkers being made for loads much lighter than the modern day is that s/n 200000 appears in the early 1920's at least 5 years prior to Super X and Remington Express.
By 1930 factory 16 and 20 ga loads exceeded the 10 gauge loads, and 12 gauge loads exceeded the ten gauge and approached the 8 gauge of 1900. The production graph shoes 50% of Parkers were made before 1900. The only steady plodder was the 2 3/4 or 3 dram 1 1/8 ounce twelve ga load.
Incidentally dram equivalent is not a complex concept; it is a load that produces the same speed as that amount of black powder behind the same shot charge.

Best, Austin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRODUCTION GRAPHenh doc.jpg (155.5 KB, 15 views)
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #40
Bill Bates
Forum Associate

Member Info

This thead has been interesting and a bit confusing. I've yet to shoot my 1920s vintage GH damascus barreled 12 gauge. I've been worried about the pressure question and other than a few manufacture getting pressure data for a given factory load is tough.

I'm beginning to thikn I've been worrying to much. The barrels measure like they have never been touched and the bores are in great shape. I guess pretty much any 1 1/8 oz. 2 3/4 dram load should be fine.

One quick question, the Bownell chamber guages stops at 2 5/8" so will plastic 2 3/4" shells be okay or should I go with 2 1/2" shells?
Bill Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Bill Bates's homepage!