Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Engraving & Engravers

Notices

Engraving Breakdown - Chapter 2
Unread 03-05-2016, 06:53 AM   #1
Jeffrey H. Smith
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Engraving Breakdown - Chapter 2

Engraving Breakdown – Ch. 2

Barrel Bolsters & Tang (Top View)

We’ll reference the attached picture for each key engraved feature numbered. I’ll review each engraved feature in part to try to learn the proper names as well as trying to inspire discussion about different aspects of these variably engraved guns.

1.) Bolster Bang - I’m struggling to come up with a name for this signature engraved feature. Am I correct in that all Parker’s irregardless of grade have an engraved enhancement here, where the hammers strike? Did other manufacturers use this same engraving to the extent Parker does? Seems to be some creative variations used for this marking. The one used here closely resembles the "Spikey-Bush" feature we saw on the sidelock in Ch. 1. The "Spikey-Bush" has eleven spikes, while the one shown here on the bolsters sports seven spikes. Is there an archived thread in these forums that highlights these hammer-strike engravings?

2.) Sighting Scoop or Bullet - This is the “scooped” out area where the sighting plane begins. I also notice it is shaped like a rifle bullet. This little area seems to get uniquely engraved on most guns. Here we see a different and fine cut border, I wonder if it has a specific name? There is often a small scroll squiggle centrally here, this gun has a rather unique looking adornment. I’m not really sure what it symbolizes. There is also what looks like a driven pin here. I’ve noticed this and other older guns have a pin or two that have obvious hammer marks on them from being set. These often times seem to be ignored and don’t receive any engraving. (Main hinge pin too, later guns have this trimmed out nicely)

3.) TopKnot – This is the fine adornment that tips or tops the bullet shaped sightplane (2. Above) The one pictured here is not too elaborate when zoomed, this sort of feather or fir-shaped engraving is also seen used to cap the forend tip trim.

4.) Tang Screw – Here we see a decorative screw head and some circular enhancement around the border. The screwhead has a commonly seen “floral-type” engraving and the border has a nice fine “feather-like” pattern encircling. Be nice to know if these screw enhancements have specific terms attached, in particular that feathery border décor.

6.) Scroll – Here we see two nice opposing scroll curls. Again, the different scroll patterns must have specific names, perhaps based on global origin? Would this style be German Scroll, or…..?? And, can anyone reference an identification key for the various scroll patterns?

7.) Tang Tail – Here is the rear tip of the tang that often is ornately engraved. This gun features what looks to me like the fine flexible armor you’d see on a European Knight’s faceguard or something. A very appealing & intricate pattern along with the “Barley Chain” border we saw on the lockplate. Does this conical-shaped tang segment have a specific name or just considered part of the overall tang?

So there we have it, the breakdown of the various engraved features of the bolster & tang view of the gun. And as for the significance of my attempt here to generate some dialogue with these posts……??

There has been over 180 hits on the Chapter 1 post, and only two replies – one of which was mine. So either there’s a bunch of “lurkers” out there waiting for someone knowledgeable to reply to my inquiry-based effort here. Or, this attempt is just plain uninteresting or somewhere way out in “left-field”?? IDK, I thought it would be compelling to learn the trade names of some of the more specific attributes created by the Gun Engraving tradesman.

It certainly is a remarkable skill and to me understanding what significance or impression some of these attributes represent, helps unlock the mystery of the mindset the Engraver had while “Story-booking” these guns. I would like to learn how & why, the 4 True Hunting Dogs theme was chosen for my gun and if there are other strictly 4 Dog Guns similar to mine out there. In other words, was this a somewhat common theme, or was the creative ability of this engraver such that he never “repeated” himself. I’m also curious in regard to all the secondary décor and image selection chosen to either complement or contrast the gun’s theme. Maybe a lot of it is just “creative doodling” for lack of a better term, but you can’t help wonder the mindset when these guns were engraved. This applies especially to what I think are both Glahn guns, or Spangler guns. If I have the Spangler guns assumption right, I see similarities in both the anatomical & scenic correctness of the hunting dogs along with unique creativity of the surrounding décor engraving of the guns these men created.

Just my thoughts and maybe I’m going “to deep” into all this, but the engraver is the only mystic human element I have much of a chance in learning about and attaching significance to my gun. I love this style engraving and have been saving every image I can find that carries similar engraving attributes and style. I’m pretty sure the guns I’m looking at are either Glahn or Spangler guns. I’ll have follow-up at some point with a comparative picture post and see if anyone can confirm my assumption.

Is there a published or known reference of who the Parker Engravers were in chronological and sequential format, it would be nice to see the years bracketed for each Chief Engravers tenure. Presumably at some point they had more than one chief, or years with some overlap of different influences. Seems a lot of these guys either bounced around to different manufactures or freelanced, and it would be really nice to see an “Engraving Resume” for some of the more prominent engravers of the times. Is there say, a “Top Ten”( or 25?) list of Engravers from like 1860 – 1930’s?

Okay…. Enough thinking and wondering out loud, let’s get this posted – I’ve got firewood to cut today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tang & Bolsters Numbered.jpg (506.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20160205_141003.jpg (504.1 KB, 2 views)
Jeffrey H. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey H. Smith For Your Post:
Unread 03-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,612 Times in 2,667 Posts

Almost all Parker questions are answered in TPS.

I suggest you take the sidelocks off before you use the gun much and make sure the pivots, sears, and trigger arms are adequately lubricated. It's easy to do if a person is cautious and deliberate. Unless maintained , these old guns can get dry. Don't attempt to lubricate it from the outside because oil should not run into the stock head. In some examples there is a lot of dried crud in the locks and you can drop the whole lock into solvent without concern.

Some of us hunt shoot and hunt regularly with these hammer guns. It brings a new dimension to the hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (530.5 KB, 6 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post: