Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-09-2024, 09:07 PM   #41
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,299 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
It never fails to amaze me that people insist on a first hand inspection before buying something of import, but are happy to reject something from a few pictures.
The pictures were good enough for me to take a run down there, and spend an hour with the gun in my hand, using my pretty good eyeballs.
I wish I was as close as your Edgar,
They have had a gun for about a year that has really bugged me, I wish I could inspect it firsthand. So far the distance and the price have made me stay at home.

Very nice RBL there Steve, you did well on the wood!
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Unread 02-09-2024, 09:53 PM   #42
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hoover View Post
I wish I was as close as your Edgar,
They have had a gun for about a year that has really bugged me, I wish I could inspect it firsthand. So far the distance and the price have made me stay at home.

Very nice RBL there Steve, you did well on the wood!
Fire up that Piper. 4B9 (Simsbury) is 5 minutes away, and I'll pick you up and go visit that gun.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 02-09-2024, 10:05 PM   #43
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

My problem is that they try to run a major internet business and have no workable sales system.

I have purchased two RBL's early on from them; a Launch Edition and a custom order. Both turned out great but gatting them was frustrating.

In the past year I have tried to get information from them on three different Beretta SO guns (which I am pretty conversant with). All were for sale on line. All of them were obviously not as advertised, which would have been obvious to any knowledgeable buyer but not to your average gun buyer. They were off in manufacture date by a decade or more. I tried multiple times to contact them via GI and never recieved any response, get lost or otherwise. This was after trying previously to buy guns that were shown in stock and advertised but were out of stock on contact. Oddly, they were never removed from the ads.

I gave up on trying to buy guns from them. A few months ago, I placed orders online for a number of reproduction recoil pads I was buying for current and future projects. I also ordered a square of goatskin for a leather covered pad. It was shown as two orders and both went through the picking and shipping phase. I waited a while and both orders were listed as picked with the first listed as shipped. The second waited several weeks in the packed awaiting shipment catagory. I emailed customer service and after the second question the order was shipped. The expensive goatskin was not in the box. I sent another email. Then a second. Then a third. I gave up because life is just too short.

None of this is opinion or guessing or interpretation. It is fact and it happened. They may be the greatest guys in the world when you go in and schmooz but in my opinion, they are not possible to deal with constructively in the mail order world.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2024, 11:24 PM   #44
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Fire up that Piper. 4B9 (Simsbury) is 5 minutes away, and I'll pick you up and go visit that gun.
Stan if you feel like flying a good bit swing down to the Orange airport pick me up and I’ll go with ya ! I’d like to see the J Cliff Green set again and maybe swing by Edgar’s house and have a look see at his Frick . Yeah yeah yeah I’m a multi faceted money waster
Unread 02-10-2024, 10:08 AM   #45
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote:
That's fine, but it isn't necessary to disparage someone's gun with inuendo.

I'm standing next to Tony, with the gun in my hand and can say that the photos in the GI listing should have been good enough to know the gun is what they say it is. It's flat new, and the value is as much a learning experience. Is a nice GHE worth that? Not hardly, but how often do you get to see one just as it left the factory? Would I buy it? No, because I am not in a position to invest in something I can't enjoy to the fullest, but I have no doubt it will sell.
I am only 30 minutes away, and when I really want to see something of this rarity, I'm lucky enough to not have to rely on the internet alone.

Plus, It's a great reason to go to New Britain and have a couple of the best Hot Dogs in New England.
This is the first time I've seen this thread otherwise I would have spoken before. Since I was lucky enough to have owned a new in box Parker Skeet gun GHE 16 ga which many of you have seen I would agree with Edger and the price is much lower then the price I slold (unfortunatelymy gun for ! I looks like a great gun and where are you going to find another !
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 02-10-2024, 10:18 AM   #46
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,238 Times in 12,378 Posts

I wonder if the “SPECIAL” may actually be a reference to the Parker Special Steel barrels it has rather than the Parker Steel barrels used on the Grade 1 guns, one grade below the subject gun.

I don’t have my Serialization book handy at the moment but would expect the Grade 2 would be listed there as a PS2 and the Grade 1 would be listed as a P1…
Am I wrong in this presumption?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-10-2024, 11:11 AM   #47
Don Mills
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

According the grade codes table in the book
P2 - Grade 2 with Parker special steel barrels
PS - lower grade guns with plain steel barrels
PP - Grade 1 guns with Parker steel barrels

Subject gun lists as P2 in the book
Unread 02-10-2024, 12:47 PM   #48
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I wonder if the “SPECIAL” may actually be a reference to the Parker Special Steel barrels it has rather than the Parker Steel barrels used on the Grade 1 guns, one grade below the subject gun.

I don’t have my Serialization book handy at the moment but would expect the Grade 2 would be listed there as a PS2 and the Grade 1 would be listed as a P1…
Am I wrong in this presumption?

I doubt it is in reference to the barrel steel, simply because Parker Special is standard for a Gr. 2 gun.
A letter may indicate it was ‘Special Ordered’ for chokes, weight, whatever.
One thing I forgot to mention previously, was when I was holding the barrels, it seemed to me that the legend appeared engraved, rather than roll-stamped. Yes, it had a legend, as this is a transition gun, made in Meriden, under Remington ownership.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 02-13-2024, 09:20 AM   #49
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Sorry guys I hit a wrong key. My NIB skeet gun was a VHE not a G. Sorry about that.....!wrong key
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote