Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

LeFever will not open
Unread 02-19-2024, 05:13 PM   #1
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default LeFever will not open

Recently purchased this EE LeFever 12gauge and brought it to the sporting clays course to shoot this weekend. Made it to station 3-4 and after shooting both rounds in gun, 7/8 oz low pressure, gun will not open. First thoughts where firing pin stuck in primer but know thinking top lever is not able to rotate fully. Gun starts to open slightly. Any helpful comments appreciated.ELever.jpg
Unread 02-19-2024, 05:43 PM   #2
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,080 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Robert Fabian View Post
Recently purchased this EE LeFever 12gauge and brought it to the sporting clays course to shoot this weekend. Made it to station 3-4 and after shooting both rounds in gun, 7/8 oz low pressure, gun will not open. First thoughts where firing pin stuck in primer but know thinking top lever is not able to rotate fully. Gun starts to open slightly. Any helpful comments appreciated.Attachment 123882
I know nothing about LeFevers but I have had a similar issue with 2 Parkers recently. A 1920's DHE 20 gauge and a 28 gauge repro. It happened with 2 different ammo manufacturers. After doing some investigating I discovered that both types of shells causing the issue had a thicker "lip" on the base of the shell. They went into the gun fine but I assume they expanded to some degree after firing and it was very difficult to to open. Taking the forend off seemed to help.
Dan Steingraber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan Steingraber For Your Post:
Unread 02-19-2024, 07:08 PM   #3
Milt Fitterman
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have had a similar experience more than once over the years. It might have been caused by tight chambers but I am not sure. After firing, the hulls expanded and it was near impossible to get the gun open. Banging it over the knee worked. I think it was the plastic but cannot be sure. Your description of opening slightly is why I think this is the case. If it was mechanical I think it would not budge however if you try over the knee and it does not move then it might be mechanical.

If the firing pins are stuck because the pins are a bit long, banging over the knee works also.
Milt Fitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milt Fitterman For Your Post:
Unread 02-19-2024, 07:43 PM   #4
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks, I have given all I dare over the knee. Believe the issue is that I'm not able to rotate top lever to the open position as pictured.
Unread 02-19-2024, 07:48 PM   #5
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,080 Times in 470 Posts

Beautiful gun by the way.
Dan Steingraber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan Steingraber For Your Post:
Unread 02-19-2024, 08:59 PM   #6
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

Too nice a gun to risk forcing. Have some very knowledgeable members here that I hope will respond.
Unread 02-19-2024, 09:13 PM   #7
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Have you tried to pull both triggers back at the same time and try to move top lever while doing so as long as the shells are both spent of course?
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2024, 09:21 PM   #8
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Robert Fabian View Post
Thanks, I have given all I dare over the knee. Believe the issue is that I'm not able to rotate top lever to the open position as pictured.
After reading your post again I see that you say its starts to open slightly I would think the lever has moved far enough have you taken the forend off and tried to open and are both cocking indicators in?
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2024, 09:37 PM   #9
Chris Robenalt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,061 Times in 283 Posts

I'm wondering if your safety is hung up on the inside in front of your triggers, and not allowing your lever to rotate all the way to the right? Put your fingers behind the triggers and pull them forward while pushing the lever to the right. Make sure the triggers are as low as they'll go, while pushing the lever. Of course, as mentioned earlier, removing the forend will help if it's stuck firing pins.
Chris Robenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Robenalt For Your Post:
Unread 02-19-2024, 10:27 PM   #10
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,539 Times in 4,621 Posts

If that is as far as the top lever will travel (in the picture), then it is not enough to open the breech.
The issue likely is the safety reset slide is catching on the triggers.

Try this… with one hand, push on the back side of both of the triggers. Holding them as far forward as they will go. Meanwhile, push the top lever
And see if the gun will open.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!