Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #41
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,868 Times in 4,754 Posts

Dee, I have the same comment about this fine gun as did another poster. "Oh my". On another note, don't do anything to this gun yet. We are not quite sure whether this may be a piece of Texas folk art that should be preserved as is. Truly, we have not seen anything quite like this great gun.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 07:44 AM   #42
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dee, is there a foregrip that goes ahead of the action and clamps to the bottom of the barrels? If so, we need pictures of that part. We also would like to know how long the barrels are from front to back so we can determine whether the barrels have been cut.
Unread 02-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #43
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

No worries there Bill.....it would take a lot of budgeting for me to do something with this gun right now. So, I will keep it tucked safely away back in the gun safe.
Dee Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #44
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Dee, is there a foregrip that goes ahead of the action and clamps to the bottom of the barrels? If so, we need pictures of that part. We also would like to know how long the barrels are from front to back so we can determine whether the barrels have been cut.
Yes, I've attached pictures of what I think you are talking about and the barrels are 28 inches.

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg
Unread 02-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #45
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #46
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

I'm reminded of a west Texas rancher who hauled hay bales and calves in the back seat of the Cadillac for many years.

The gun has been rode a bit hard.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #47
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
I'm reminded of a west Texas rancher who hauled hay bales and calves in the back seat of the Cadillac for many years.

The gun has been rode a bit hard.
I know the gun is in very bad shape, but it is what it is. I'm thankful to have came across it, researched it, and know what I know now thanks to all of you. Regardless of what condition it is in or the value, it was my great grandfather's and again I am proud to hold it in my hands today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dee Durham For Your Post:
Unread 02-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #48
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

Dee ,I must disagree with Bill as to the value of the gun if it was in fine condition. I collect C grades and searched for a nice 16ga for several years and finally paid $20K+. During that time I saw a high condition one sell for $40K.
Turnbull has,had?, a completely restored one for sale for $35K,but it has been for sale for years. If it was restored by Brad Bachelder, I would guess a value of $15K-$18K. JMHO
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Dwyer For Your Post:
Unread 02-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #49
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I agree. A nice C grade 16 can have values in multiples of the 8 to 12 that I mentioned. Let's say 8 to 40K, although I would have to see that 40 gun that the poster described to believe the price. The good news is that there are no surprises in the picture of the forend. It is all there and matches the rest of the gun. The Turnbull price is bogus. Doug is a friend, but the price on that gun is off the scale. He doesn't expect to sell it for that price. Also, Dee, don't send the gun to Doug Turnbull. He will send you an estimate that you will find unfriendly. Some day he may restore that gun, but for someone else, not you. I am not criticizing him, he has done wonderful favors for me.
Unread 02-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #50
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

I agree with David. I collect C's and have a handful of 12's and small bores, including a couple 16ga's. A nice CHE 16 ga just sold for $11,500 at a well known and watched public auction. This gun, if in good condition, would be in the range of the recent sale and what David mentioned.

The gun, as you know, has not been treated well. I believe a small bore C is always worth carefully looking at with an eye toward bringing back to presentability. This gun is going to take a lot of careful and skilled work, and how far it goes is always up to the owner. Pits in metal can be TIG welded and smoothed so that they are indistinguishable. Wood can be repaired or in extreme cases replaced. The bolts are not right but damage to the screw holes can probably be repaired by a machinist, new screws made, timed and installed.

I understand the sentimentality of your grandfather's gun. On my grandfather's gun, I had to steam out lots of dents, gouges and barbwire grooves, rechecker the forend, reblue the barrels and replace action springs. It's still the old gun I usually grab and go with. Many of us have ancestral guns that we treasure.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post: