Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #31
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dee was there ever a house fire ? Stock looks as if it was close to alot of heat, might have something to do with the condition of the barrels.
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #32
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

I can't honestly say......there is no telling what this gun went through
Dee Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #33
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Alot !
Unread 02-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #34
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'll go on record saying that you can't really judge the condition of the metal until you have the gun in hand. Photos often give more depth to pitting than actually exists.I have been through this many times as a buyer and seller of old tools,cars,guns and lots of other objects with metal parts. Hoping for the best for you as far as the metal goes.
Robert Delk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #35
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hahahahahaha........I can't dispute that at all!!!!! I know my family lived by very minimal means by word of my grandpa. I can only think that maybe repairs were unaffordable to my great grandfather when repairs were needed and that may be part of the reason why the gun is in the shape that it is in.
Unread 02-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #36
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Ok guys! We have over 400 members and I think there was about 400 plus of this gun made if the bores are shootable I have the first $20.00 to donate for the restoration of this gun
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Huffman For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2011, 10:27 PM   #37
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Huffman View Post
Ok guys! We have over 400 members and I think there was about 400 plus of this gun made if the bores are shootable I have the first $20.00 to donate for the restoration of this gun
That is very kind of you to be willing to do that! I'm now at a loss for words myself, but there is no way I could accept your gracious gesture. That is too much for anyone to do. It is what it is, and I am grateful to just have the insight and knowledge of this fine gun now. Everyone here has been such a great help, just know I appreciate each and every one of you.
Unread 02-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #38
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Dee, don’t be discouraged. I think you are very lucky person. There was a reason why only you found your great grandfather’s Parker under the bed… because he wanted you to have it. In the short time that you have had this in your possession, this once valuable Parker is getting the attention it deserves by you posting questions on the PGCA forum and fellow PGCA members giving valuable advice on how you can possibly restore your great granddaddy’s favorite Parker Gun. Whatever your final decision may be if it fiscally makes sense for you to restore or not, I’m sure he is smiling in heaven right now.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank Cronin For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #39
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Great advice from Frank! Dee, get the letter and then have a professional eyeball your gun. I recently has Jim Kelly restore a 4 gauge E.M. Reilly SxS that was in horrible shape.
(It got rained on in it's case for close to 100 years) If you had seen it before You wouldn't believe that it was the same gun. You will have to pay for the shipping if you send it to Jim or to another restoration expert, but his estimate won't cost you anything.
You don't have to use an FFL Dealer to ship your gun to a licensed gunsmith for repair. I ship my guns by Fed Ex Ground. It should cost you @ $30 each way if you choose to do so. Whether you choose to restore or not, please keep your Great Grandfather's gun in the family. JMHO

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Lander For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #40
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Cronin View Post
Dee, don’t be discouraged. I think you are very lucky person. There was a reason why only you found your great grandfather’s Parker under the bed… because he wanted you to have it. In the short time that you have had this in your possession, this once valuable Parker is getting the attention it deserves by you posting questions on the PGCA forum and fellow PGCA members giving valuable advice on how you can possibly restore your great granddaddy’s favorite Parker Gun. Whatever your final decision may be if it fiscally makes sense for you to restore or not, I’m sure he is smiling in heaven right now.
I have to agree with you 100%. I had no idea what I had until today. I took everything home, put all of the guns, 12 in fact, in the gun safe and left them there until this past weekend. Losing all 3 family members so close together, I just didn't have the time nor mental capacity to bother. I love researching my family background and coming across this site and it's members just set it in stone for me that all too familiar quote "everything happens for a reason." I can only imagine the things he did with this gun, how he used it for recreation or even to put food on the table to feed his family....whatever the case, I'm PROUD and ecstatic just at the thought of holding the gun he once held. Grateful and blessed can only sum it up.