Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Parker-Proud
Unread 01-22-2015, 12:47 AM   #1
David Rockwell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker-Proud

Hi to all, I'm a new shot gunner who has rediscovered a treasure, my grandfather's Parker. A friend put me on to this website, very impressed with all the comments and knowledge out there. Mine is a Trojan, pretty plain but in great shape, a 12-ga side-by-side, made in 1925 according to the serial number. It was last fired in about 1967 when I went out with my dad: is it OK to fire with modern ammo? I don't know a gunsmith, seems to me this site is where the experts are. From other posts, looks like it's been done. All advice appreciated.
David Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2015, 01:32 AM   #2
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Hello David and Welcome aboard ! Your Grand Fathers Parker ,that's wonderful ! , No one in my Family owned a Parker ,I have my Grand Dads guns but no Parker was in His small collection ! My first Parker was a Trojan Grade also but in 16 Gauge and I used over the counter ammo with no problems but these days in all of my Old Doubles ,I shoot the Vintage loads from RST ,mostly because of the low recoil ,the age of the wood is the issue for me in most cases ,it always concerns me and unless you remove the stock ,you really have no idea of what's going on ,on the inside of the wood and the overall condition ! Of course it never hurts to have a professional Gun Smith go over your gun and give it a clean bill of health before shooting it if you are uncertain ! We have many qualified Folks on our site you could have take a look at it ,again ,Welcome Aboard hope you will join the PGCA ! Best ; Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2015, 11:38 PM   #3
David Rockwell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Russ , I hadn't even thought about the stock. The recoil pad on the butt is OK but probably needs replaced, which would lead to a stock check. Are there Parker replacement parts, does that even make sense for a rubber pad....so much to learn. Regards, Dave
David Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2015, 10:31 PM   #4
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

David: A Pachmayer or Kick-Ease pad fitted by a qualified gunsmith would be appropriate for your Parker.

Best Regards, George