Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 03-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #41
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Graft View Post
We Parker types are lucky to have these parker reproductions....No they are not originals or 100% exact!, but that alone does not make them bad or evil. There will never be anymore original parkers made or remade....can't be done. Even if the best craftsman in the world spent the time to make a couple guns to exact spec....they would be so valuable no one would ever enjoy them as shooting guns and would have no use to us! Parker reproductions filled a need for shooting guns that working class sportsman could afford and be proud of. Its been 28 years since that first run of guns hit the feilds....they have proven themselves worthy! Nothing in life is perfect....just the best we can do with what we have. Rejoyce and have fun with them repo's. Personally I spend more time afeild with Parker repro"s than my original parkers.....they are my working guns and man do they work! This past november I took a nice woodcock with a DHE-28 DT-PG-BTF sweet! And a couple times a year I will take one of my original parkers out hunting...like my 26" 1903 O-frame DH-16 that comes in at 5lbs-14oz When hunting the grouse woods with a gun like this and a couple of setters......I can loose track of the day.....it could be 1903 all over again!.....I think this is what we all search for as sportsman, plesures of past and present all in one moment of time....The parker repro's will have their time as well. I have been to Kansas hunting wild birds three times now. I have used a parker repro DHE-16 28" IC/Full for every shot and every bird brought to bag. It does not get any better than this for a man and gun combo. This repro is warm in my hands! Brings back the memeries of Kansas just holding it, yup...them case colors is wearing off fast...(-: Thanks all SXS ohio...life is good!

Amen, Brother! Well said!
ron belanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #42
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you, Kenny. Very well said and it conveys what I think we all look for in a pleasant day afield whether game is harvested or not. Recently I hunted California Valley Quail with my GH 12 gauge. Though I did not even see a bird just the pleasure of carrying the gun brightened my day. Halfway up a steep hill, they didn't seem so steep when I was 25, I would stop to rest and marvel at the swirls of the case coloring, the smallness of the grip, the quality of the engraving or the richness of the wood. What a fulfilling day.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis V. Nix For Your Post:
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #43
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,068 Times in 281 Posts

Could not have said it better. I love both the Repro's and the original guns I own. Shoot them both and take them for exactly what they are, nice guns to be used and enjoyed.
Gerry Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #44
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
Aren't Repro's stocked with Claro? Isn't it less dense than American Walnut?

John,
Many are stocked with Claro. Maybe most, I dunno. But, there are many stocked in what looks like U.S. westcoast grown English walnut to me. Some also look like Black walnut to me.

I think the source of the wood may have been from the wood company in California, owned (started for the Parker Reproductions?) by the Mr. Skeuse. It seems we covered this subject with Richard Skeuse here and he provided some information on the wood source.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #45
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Heald View Post
John,
Many are stocked with Claro. Maybe most, I dunno. But, there are many stocked in what looks like U.S. westcoast grown English walnut to me. Some also look like Black walnut to me.

I think the source of the wood may have been from the wood company in California, owned (started for the Parker Reproductions?) by the Mr. Skeuse. It seems we covered this subject with Richard Skeuse here and he provided some information on the wood source.
Calico Hardwoods.
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #46
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

Well I don't own a reproduction, not that they are not good guns but, when I have in my hands a high grade old Parker hammer gun and look at the craftsmanship that went in to making the gun, and taking into account what they had to work with its just not the same. For me I'll take "old Parkers, old dogs, and watermelon wine any time!
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #47
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Gary,
I'll bring the old Parkers and the dogs to the Southern. You bring the watermelon wine.
Sounds delicious.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daryl Corona For Your Post:
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #48
Sam Casey
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have owned several of both, new & old, but now own and use only a couple nice Reproductions. I like the modern stock dimensions and the fact that I don't need to be concerned about shooting higher pressure loads.
Sam Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #49
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

I like the old look and feel of the originals. I also shoot well with low pressure loads. Also like the generally lower prices for vintage shooters. Still would not mind having one or two reproductions for shooting modern loads. With a little luck, I will get one or both of my Dad's reproductions.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #50
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

[quote=Mills Morrison;64488].... Still would not mind having one or two reproductions for shooting modern loads. ..../quote]

If by this comment, you are implying that a person is not able to shoot "modern" loads through an original Parker, that would be in error. All a person needs to do is to look at the Parker service and proof load table in TPS to dispel that notion. There is nothing infirm or lesser about an original Parker. Both vintage and Repros were designed to shoot SAAMI standard service loads, and I argue that applies to damascus barreled guns as well, since Parker did not treat them differently. A person may choose to shoot lesser loads in any gun, after all, who wants to pound his shoulder and gun needlessly, but there is nothing less capable about the barrels on a vintage Parker. In fact, if the reports of Repro stock fractures through the wrist are to be believed, I suggest that it could be argued that Repros are less capable than originals.

Parker provided tables matching gun weight and gauge to load for best shooting; those apply equally to vintage and Repro guns.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post: