Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 03-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #31
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

mills: the best way to address your question is with another example of repro vs orginial.

i am talking about vintage cars vs repros. they look similar, but they are not the same. if you have never driven the original, then a repro is just fine. however, once you drive the real thing, then you think less of your repro.

it is the same thing with parker shotguns.
ed good is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ed good For Your Post:
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #32
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

The fit of the parts on the repro's is excellent they're definately well made, but the craftsmanship that goes into an original Parker is lost in translation. Having both in hand, there is no comparison between the feel of an original and a repro, the weigh and ballance are superior in an original.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Travinski For Your Post:
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #33
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

I would argue that Mr Skeuse ensured the weight and balance was replicated to the examples of the originals he chose.

The "feel" a gun has is part physical, part mental. How much of each is in the mind of the beholder.

That's the part about these reproductions being relatively new and not an American made gun. They'll never command the awe, in our generations, that the originals will.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #34
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

As one who has never owned or shot a repro., I've held them and I agree with Chris. There's something lacking and I can't put my finger on it but for lack of a better term I'll just call it "soul" or maybe character. I think they are great guns but not for me. My question is about the reference to "better steel". In what way is the repro steel better than an original? My 100yr. old steel does pretty well on it's own. Just wondering.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #35
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Daryl,
I agree. No soul. They are essentially new guns. But I like new guns too. I put them in a category with the newer Superposed guns. American design, foreign built.

As for soul, it will come from my hunting of the gun or it will go down the road.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #36
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Don't get me wrong, I have had a few reproductions and I think they are great guns. I'm sure they did their best to replicate the originals but the barrels on the repro are much heavier. I'm sure this is a function of safety, you won't find a repro with .020-.025" (or less) barrel walls, there are only so many ways to get weight off of the front of a gun. It's difficult to describe but trust me, if you can have one of each in hand you'll see the difference.
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #37
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

I feel real bad for some of youse guys whose Repros don't have any soul---mine do, all of 'em have it...a couple of 'em have it real bad.

I also have an original 12-ga. Parker Bros. DH damascus that they tell me has a lot of soul, too. I haven't found it yet, but I suppose it's there somewhere. Given the opportunity, I would jump at the chance to trade it even-up for any 28-ga. Repro.
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #38
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Aren't Repro's stocked with Claro? Isn't it less dense than American Walnut?
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #39
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Daryl,
Your last post made me think about Cabela's, every time I go there they try to sell me a Benelli something or other. They always say they are superior because of the cryogenic tempering, the bores won't scratch or pitt etc. I always laugh to myself, my 1909 DHE has mint bores.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris Travinski For Your Post:
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #40
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,910 Times in 534 Posts

We Parker types are lucky to have these parker reproductions....No they are not originals or 100% exact!, but that alone does not make them bad or evil. There will never be anymore original parkers made or remade....can't be done. Even if the best craftsman in the world spent the time to make a couple guns to exact spec....they would be so valuable no one would ever enjoy them as shooting guns and would have no use to us! Parker reproductions filled a need for shooting guns that working class sportsman could afford and be proud of. Its been 28 years since that first run of guns hit the feilds....they have proven themselves worthy! Nothing in life is perfect....just the best we can do with what we have. Rejoyce and have fun with them repo's. Personally I spend more time afeild with Parker repro"s than my original parkers.....they are my working guns and man do they work! This past november I took a nice woodcock with a DHE-28 DT-PG-BTF sweet! And a couple times a year I will take one of my original parkers out hunting...like my 26" 1903 O-frame DH-16 that comes in at 5lbs-14oz When hunting the grouse woods with a gun like this and a couple of setters......I can loose track of the day.....it could be 1903 all over again!.....I think this is what we all search for as sportsman, plesures of past and present all in one moment of time....The parker repro's will have their time as well. I have been to Kansas hunting wild birds three times now. I have used a parker repro DHE-16 28" IC/Full for every shot and every bird brought to bag. It does not get any better than this for a man and gun combo. This repro is warm in my hands! Brings back the memeries of Kansas just holding it, yup...them case colors is wearing off fast...(-: Thanks all SXS ohio...life is good!
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post: