Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 01-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #31
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,910 Times in 534 Posts

5500.00 would be a start piont.....most guns do better. Depends on the sellers asking price and how bad you want a particular gun....Couple years ago they started closer to 6500.00 So 6K would not be unreasonable.....They are good investments. thanks all SXS ohio...(-:
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #32
Ross Alvord
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the info. It does have an Enlish stock and Splinter forearm. $5500 may be the low point. My struggle is I am not a great fan personally of "case color" since it typically wears off with even cared use. This only has a few mild wear points on edges but overall not "readily" apparent due to the typical diversity of case color to the casual viewer. Any pro would certainly notice it however. Your comments are very helpful as I at least have a base. I could actually do 20 ga or 28 ga but I think the 28 ga may be the better choice. It has the best wood also, and a bit lower cost besides.
Ross Alvord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #33
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Double triggers or single? English/straight stock is definitely a plus but double triggers on an English stocked gun is the combination most people seem to covet. As for case colors, use them to negotiate a lower price if you can and if you buy the gun send it to someone to strip them and have the gun re-cased.

Good luck,

JDG
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #34
Ross Alvord
Forum Associate

Member Info

Single trigger, I too much prefer double triggers, only makes sense to me with English stock. These are Ok fo now with case color, just not "new" condtion in case quality, some minor wear points. Is it really acceptable at some point to have the "case color" redone at some point? Will this impact its "value" long-term.
Unread 01-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #35
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Absolutely, any alteration i.e. recoloring, grinding metal to relieve choke, cutting stock to install a pad, etc. to an original Parker Repro will affect it's long term monetary value. There are those that will argue that it will increase personal value, however---and they are right. A gun has only one crack at being original--and original is what collectors want.
Unread 01-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #36
Ross Alvord
Forum Associate

Member Info

I understand. I am most concerned with retaining highest potential investment value for now, thus, I must live with the imperfections I guess. Wish it was new, but not, yet very nice, just not "as new." If I owned it from new it would typically be as good in 20 years or more. Sometimes I am a perfectionist, expecially in valuable items. But, better to own something at 98-99% rather than nothing. All my firearms except "shooters" are likely 98%or better.

Thanks for all replies, you folks have surprised me very favorably, most kind to respond. Quick responses with some great advice. I like the "Parker" afficionados already. Again, thanks for being such fine firearm folks.
Unread 01-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #37
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,068 Times in 281 Posts

Ross, I was where you are a little while ago with regards to having perfect guns. Now, I shoot and enjoy all of my guns. I take the imperfections that come with a used gun and smile as that allows me to shoot it even more. Those "new" guns are no fun to me any longer, and as a nice old gunsmith once said to me, "go ahead, shoot it. Anything you can break, I can fix." I say that to myself every time I take a nice SXS grouse hunting as I did today. Took a nice grouse over my setter with a nice old 20Ga Parker original straight grip that I had restocked a few years ago.
Gerry Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #38
Ross Alvord
Forum Associate

Member Info

Good thoughts. I admit, I have a few firearms now I feel compelled not to shoot simply due to their age and unshot condition. So, it is actually good to know/feel I can keep it in "as now" condition, but enjoy it more because I can feel fine about shooting it. I'm good with the idea. Thanks. I should have it by end of week.
Unread 01-27-2012, 02:44 AM   #39
Ross Alvord
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the advice earlier from all Members that replied. I did purchase the Parker DHE Repo 28 ga. with 2 bbls 26" IC/Mod and 28" Mod/Full in case with zip cover case. Very nice indeed.

Where can we identify the actual year of production? I haven't yet found where the serial numbers are registered to identify the circa. Given that these were built by Winchester, are there any "actual records" kept that indicate the "history" of the Repos?
Unread 01-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #40
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,910 Times in 534 Posts

Ross......The parker repo's have a stormy past. Winchester had nothing to do with marketing these guns. Parker Reproductions was a stand alone company. After the loss of the factory in Japan everything was moved to the U.S. and stored in a basment warehouse. At some point a mojor flud filled this building with water and everything was lost...including production records. We have very little facts to go on. The good thing, its realy fun!.....Ross ..go back and read all the parker repro posts, lots of stuff about them has already been covered......thanks all SXS ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote