Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums Website & Forum - Help & Assistance

Notices

New member from Reno. Have a sweet DHE 1904
Unread 03-22-2021, 05:44 PM   #1
Jan Sluchak
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New member from Reno. Have a sweet DHE 1904

Hello to the group. Good to be aboard. Every fall Pheasants in South Dakota and dove at home in Nevada. 28ga on dove but up to 12 on the big cock birds! I spent time with an ill fitting VH and have experience with borrowed parker repro 20's (wish I'd bought one on the close outs!) and the usual higher grade Brownings. When we shoot in SD, we like double guns for safety as we are on and off transport vehicles to different fields so with those perimeters and the fact that my buddies show up from indiana, some pretty nice sxs guns show up. Well I wanted to drive a nicer car as they say. A couple of weeks ago a very nice DHE walked into the room. 1 frame, titanic steel, 28''(Not cut as the barrels kiss nicely!), skeletron buttplate, choked M and C by my gauge and my goodness it was 14" pull so still shootable. Ejecters throw perfectly distance wise and the shell mated as they fly. Hammer strikes strong on bothe side with a hasty scotch tape test at the store. It was priced by a large store that didn't know Parkers real well so I did quite well purchasing it. They were able to date it at 1904. That is the reason for joining the group. I will get the hang of posting the photos to share. I want to shoot it though at the skeet and clays range though. I have checked for cracks, non mating surfaces any stress inducing mating and have not found an issue. When I bought it, I though my Krieghoff was going to get an occasional day off because this gun said CLAYS to me. As it has 2 3/4 chambers, will my usual RIOs be OK and in the hunting world can I shoot my golden pheasants? How strong are these tubes?
I will be sending in a request for a factory letter which should be interesting to see if it's in the registry.
And I also need to know through research here who can do parker grade maint. services as it is 117 years old.. Double triggers seem fine.
I believe in shooting these, and hope that is OK.
Thanks for any help and GREETING FROM RENO NV.
Jan Sluchak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan Sluchak For Your Post:
Unread 03-22-2021, 06:59 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Pictures would be very nice.

A 1-frame you say, but you didn't say what gauge it is...

If you don't have a chamber depth gauge you should have one or at least something with which you can accurately measure the chamber depth. If it is a 12 gauge on the 1-frame I would suspect the originality of the 2 3/4" chambers you say it has. Barrel wall thickness, especially at the juncture of the chamber and the beginning of the forcing cone. You really need to measure the wall thickness of your barrels.

Just my HO.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2021, 07:05 PM   #3
Jan Sluchak
Forum Associate

Member Info

The gun is 12 ga and the chambers measure with proper gauge at 2 3/4. Dont see any honing or work like on 16 9/16" guns.
Unread 03-22-2021, 07:15 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

But just as a precaution you really should measure or have someone measure the wall thickness... while you still have time to return it if it is unsafe to shoot due to wall thicknesses being sub-minimum th.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-22-2021, 09:38 PM   #5
Jan Sluchak
Forum Associate

Member Info

OK, I get what you are telling me. Duh. I just checked the chambers to see if someone had punched them to 3" or something stupid. I did not know they were 2 5/8" and was not looking for that. Very good probability and I will check tomorrow, they are untouched at 2 5/8 and I was in error. Been under the weather for last 4 days so not thinking clearly. Glad I learned something. But 2 5/8 was made to shoot 2 3/4, isn't that correct? And thanks again for the help. I'll get some photos posted.
Unread 03-22-2021, 10:07 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Right, it was made to shoot 2 3/4” shells.
I don’t know what pressures those RIO’s are loaded to. I try to keep my ammo under 8,000 psi but that’s just me and the decision I have made for my old guns with old wood. Others will likely have their own opinions.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-22-2021, 10:09 PM   #7
Jan Sluchak
Forum Associate

Member Info

I understand I can order and pay for a letter here on line. Where is the location of that service here on the forum. Im looking..........
Unread 03-22-2021, 10:15 PM   #8
Jan Sluchak
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the pressure tip Dean
Unread 03-22-2021, 10:39 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Go to the Home page and near the top of the column of links on the left side you’ll find the link to click for a letter.

Unread 03-23-2021, 07:56 AM   #10
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,594 Times in 1,840 Posts

Jan you will be able to search your serial number from the home page first to see if records do in fact exist prior to ordering a letter. Also I noticed that you have some friends from the Hoosier state traveling to SD with you. Being a fellow Hoosier I am curious as to where they might be from ? Welcome aboard BTW !
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post: