Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Unread 12-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #11
JAMES BAKER
Forum Associate

Member Info

On the home page for PGCA there is a Remington Repair Codes link. Not knowing
what the WK stood for I entered it and it came back "this repair code idicates this Parker was repaired in August 1941". So I just assumed that was what it meant.
Any idea what the insurance value should be on my Parker? I was burglarized 2 years ago and lost several rifles and shotguns along with some pistols,that i had
not listed on my insurance...duh on me I know. Some were recovered luckily and
fortunately I got my Parker only recently.Thanks for all the info you have given
me. Would research letter give me more detailed info as to who bought it,etc.
JAMES BAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
WK code- I'll take a look.
Unread 12-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default WK code- I'll take a look.

Thanks for the nice prompt reply. I haven't yet checked into that section of our PGCA website, maybe Remington used that WK in honor of Walter King, I do not know. Remington-UMC, being a major gun manufacturer even before they purchased Parker Brothers in 1934 may well have moved Parker records and codes into their own system as they moved the machinery and inventory from Meriden to Ilion in 1937- others may be able to shed some light on this, I can't- sorry--

Sad to hear about the theft- always a concern today, and am glad some of your firearms were retrieved. A good quality heavy gauge steel gun safe with a quality locking system (Sergeant & Greenleaf and stainless steel backing plates and through rods) bolted into the flooring is a "must" today for anyone who collects quality firearms. I would forgo the probable purchase of another quality gun IF the funds required would also cover such a safe (I have two)--and a retired MSP detective neighbor who stores a few of his guns in mine and watches my property like a hawk-- best prevention against a home invasion or a burglary is a good alert neighbor-IMO.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 11:28 PM   #13
JAMES BAKER
Forum Associate

Member Info

any idea about value of this Parker? called insurance agent and asked about an
appraiser and he didnt know of any in our area that specialized in old firearms. any
ideas or suggestions about possible value appreciated.
JAMES BAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Appraisers- values- hard to say James
Unread 12-17-2009, 11:56 PM   #14
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Appraisers- values- hard to say James

I did go to the Remington repair codes and sure enough WK means that date in 1941. How they did that I'm not sure, maybe some of our researchers know. Off topic, but the late master cane rod maker of Ossining NY, Everett Garrison had a code system that would designate the month and year when he had finished the certain rod, and there was a period when he re-started his codes.

Students of his rods, like Hoagy Bix Carmichael have researched that. Perhaps this area of Remington repair codes, as compared to codes previously employed when the Parker Gun was made at Meriden under the Parker family owndership might be a subject for some research.

I have the two "bullet and fire" proof Browning safes, so my insurance coverage from my home owners policy primarily covers my guns when they are out with me afield, in the vehicles, or on a gun club range. My agent is also a hunter and a collector (Belgian Brownings and Luger pistols) so it is nice, should I ever have a claim, to at least have a agent who knows something of older guns and their values. The adjusters are the "devil in the details here"

I'm not qualified to appraise guns or their conditions. My gunsmith/friend in Grand Rapids does this service for his clients if they request it, perhaps if you have such a gunsmith in your area with a good solid reputation that might be one way to go. I'm reminded in closing of the old wisdom: "If you seek to know the true value of something, as three different persons who are not related and who have NO interest in ever buying that item from you".

Best of luck in your search, and I am glad you received the Parker back.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 06:53 AM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

As with any of these fine old gun's values, "condition is everything (almost)" so if you can post a few high quality photos we can get a better idea of its approximate value. Barrels that have been cut, as stated before, can seriously affect the value of a gun so show us some pictures of the ends of the barrels as well.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 01:14 PM   #16
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Francis

If you have The Parker Story, look on page 158 to learn about the repair code.

In general, it is a letter code that indicates when they worked on the gun but does not indicate what was done. From what I read in TPS, Remington stamped their guns with this same code during the final assembly phase of their gun manufacturing process. They didn't do this with the Parker gun during manufacture but they did use the codes on repair work done on Parkers.

The repair codes should be found on the barrel flats, usually on the left. Sometimes, but not always, a '3' suffix is found on repair codes.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote