Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 10-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #11
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
Other than added detail and dimension, the major thing that hand cut engraving adds to the equation is light reflectivity. That shimmer in the cuts are what helps it stand out once case coloring is done.

I was looking at this gun today some more and it is simply knockout!

I need to get it into Nitre Blue with my next batch soon and off to case color once a few others in process are completed and ready for pickup.
Did the frame need to be annealed before the engraving was re-cut?

If not and this were my gun I would consider leaving it silver and not have it case hardened. I think case colors & bluing hides the details in engraving in many cases. This engraving looks so good the way it is, I would leave it that way with a possible coat of lacquer as replaceable protectant.

What's your thoughts?
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #12
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Case Color it is. The hand cutting of the engraving will certainly help the appearance of the engraving through case colors. I am not concerned with the appearance of it.

Repros do not need annealing. And they do not even need hardening. The steel they are made of is a modern composition and is suitable for use as a frame as it is. That is why you see so many modern guns with silver receivers. The Repros had a stain put on them to simulate the look of case colors to try and get the "look" of a vintage gun.
Fortunately though the steel does not need to be hardened, it does take case colors very well and look no different than the original guns when put through the process.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 10-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #13
Ken Snyder
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have seen this gun, with a second unaltered physical example next to it. I will tell you, they aren't even close! The work that has been done transforms this from a good gun, to a great gun. My friend, Jolly Bill, had it exactly right on those Pheasants too, they are amazing! The photo's don't do justice. The background scenes added to the vignettes bring them to life, I can't wait to see this one come back from CC. My compliments to Geoffroy and Brian for their artistry, and attention to the smallest of details. It makes a difference.
Ken Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ken Snyder For Your Post:
Unread 10-24-2019, 12:28 AM   #14
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,173 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Snyder View Post
I have seen this gun, with a second unaltered physical example next to it. I will tell you, they aren't even close! The work that has been done transforms this from a good gun, to a great gun. My friend, Jolly Bill, had it exactly right on those Pheasants too, they are amazing! The photo's don't do justice. The background scenes added to the vignettes bring them to life, I can't wait to see this one come back from CC. My compliments to Geoffroy and Brian for their artistry, and attention to the smallest of details. It makes a difference.
Hi Ken,

It was our mutual friend Bob Jurewicz that posted how great the pheasants looked.

He is absolutely right on. They look GREAT.
Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Jolliff For Your Post:
Unread 10-24-2019, 06:11 AM   #15
Ken Snyder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill,
See! The details do make a difference. ;-)

Thanks to you for the correction, and apologies to Bob.
Ken
Ken Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Snyder For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2019, 07:17 AM   #16
Marshfellow
Forum Associate

Member Info

Great project & pictures Bri.
Thanks! Tom
Tom Wyraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Tom Wyraz's homepage!
Unread 10-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #17
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Though not a higher grade motif, that is definitely C or B grade execution and quality.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #18
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Though not a higher grade motif, that is definitely C or B grade execution and quality.

I heavily debated upgrading the gun to a C. Unique for sure since C grade repros were not made. I considered this more when I was going to checker the stock as I wanted to put down a C pattern on the wrist. But decided to stick with keeping it a D. And at that time I was not completely sure that I was going to do the engraving embellishment.
The major difference in the engraving motif would have been the addition of more border work on the side panels. It would have required having to wipe out a lot of the original engraving on the sides to give room for the borders.
It certainly can be done, but I was wanting to maintain is as an example of what can be done with the factory D platform.

I also considered doing the "Parker" name in gold to set it apart. But also decided against that.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 10-26-2019, 12:02 AM   #19
Chris Robenalt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,060 Times in 283 Posts

I like your work Brian. I too ended up recutting a repro D. Fixed cracks through the wrist, checkered to hide. Then Mullered and then on to the forend etc....turned out to be a different gun all together. Good job on the metal!
Chris Robenalt is offline   Reply With Quote