Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Back from Maine, Sorry Fox not Parker
Unread 10-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Back from Maine, Sorry Fox not Parker

Pups and I just got back from a hunting Mid-Coast and upper Maine (East of Bangor). *Bird numbers in one word were "spotty". *We found some pockets of birds, but the idea that you could roll up to a nice looking clearcut and birds would be thundering in all directions didn't happen for the most part. *We did have some good days which offset the bad days (which were many). *

We had one stretch of two days were we moved 5 birds (3 Woodcock and 2 Grouse) total with 6 hours of boots on the ground each day. *(Not even a good day in Virginia frankly). *We did have some nicer days with the best being 6 Grouse and 29 Woodcock moved (a very good day) in a perfect looking 100 acre clearcut.

My Little Lew, 10 month old Sophie got her baptism by fire. *After only pointing planted quail and bumping a few local woodcock in my home state of Va I was anxious to get her up where she could roam freely and learn how to use her nose. *I found her getting better with more and more bird contacts. *She bumped far more grouse then she pointed, but she pointed a few and I killed one of those. *Woodcock was much better and she probably had over 20 rock solid points over the 8 days. *Bumped more then a few of those as well, but progressively got better during the week and once she locked up she remained locked up until I flushed the bird. *I was certainly pleased with her first trip hunting wild birds. *Retrieving is non-existent at this point, but she will repoint any bird she comes across while hunting dead.

For me personally I discovered shooting Woodcock over a pointing dog is feast or famine. *I can only equate to trying to swat a fly in a phone booth with a pencil. *Once the bird flushed at 10 feet away in 1.5 second he will have cleared the top canopy and was gone. *If one connected in that first 1.5 seconds, the results could be pretty spectacular from the feathers in the air perspective, but not table fare certainly. *I found it far easy to shoot the Woodcock that were put up by my golden because I was further enough away to pick an opening where the bird would be flying through and having a 25 yard shot as compared to a 5 yard shot seemed like a piece of cake.

I'm sure that will improve as I get more used to shooting over a pointing dog (I hope).

I carried my late fathers Winchester 101 20 gauge on bad weather days (there were three of those). *Dad bought it in 1963 when Winchester first start importing them. *He only shot a few birds with it over the years, but he did carry it some so it was nice to take it along and knock down a few birds with it. *The rest of the time I carried my little 20 gauge custom Fox.

A few other things. *Took a nasty fall on some leaf covered rocks and destroyed my little camera which was in its case on my belt at the time. *Probably saved my hip bone from a nasty bruise, but the results were ugly. *Hard to take pictures with the view finder shattered, but I took a few and they are below.

Lastly, more porky's then I have ever every encountered. *My dogs were eyeball to eyeball with 4 different ones. *One particularly large one was in a serious confrontation with my Golden and that was about to end up being pretty bad for Gracie if I hadn't gotten between them. *Might have ended up badly for me. *That particular porky had an serious attitude.

The dogs both held up moderately well considering we were out there for 8 days of hunting. *Sophie arrived with a UTI somehow (she had been boarded at the vet for a week prior to me leaving as I had been in Florida), and within the first 8 hours I was headed for a vet to get her checked out. *Antibiotics seems to work almost instantly (thank God). *She also ended up with a nasty bloody tail tip after a few days and I ended up putting antibiotics and vet tape on it (orange vet tape on her tail sure made it easy to see her in the field). *After the first couple of days I vested both of them as they were getting beat up and I thought it might afford some protection from the Porky's if something bad happened on that end. *Both of them had zero problems with the vests.

Had more then a bit of a problem with my Astro losing contact with her or showing that she was one place while she was another. *I had updated everything before I left, so it was frustrating. *I ended up using a Lovetts add on beeper on her for a few days and I found in the thick cover where we were hunting, to work extremely well. *Also seemed when she was on point to recognize the fact almost immediately and point alarm would go off. *I watched her go on point with the Astro one time and I was half way there before the Astro alarm even sent me the notification (probably 12 seconds total) tone.

Gracie my Golden was rock solid except from having the usual hard mouth on Woodcock. *She however, can certainly find birds as well as any dog I've hunted over and follows direction well. *I limited her to about 90 minutes of hunting per day as she has a carpal that flairs up on occasion, so Sophie got the lions share of the work.

Guess that's the report for now. *A few bad pics are included. *PS. *More apples then I have ever ever seen in Maine. *There are so many apples that at least right now that they aren't concentrating the birds because there are too many of them everywhere. *I hunted one abandoned 5 acre apple orchard twice and flushed nary a bird out of it either time and the apples on the ground hadn't been pecked on. *I was amazed by that.

First photo is what Grouse Camp is supposed to look like.

[

tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,236 Times in 899 Posts

Nice report Tom. Grouse numbers are exceptional in the Errol section of NH this year. I am surprised that Maine is so spotty this.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 10-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,292 Times in 862 Posts

Nice report
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,328 Times in 12,399 Posts

I swear I left a post to your thread here this morning Tom...

In any case - that is an awesome custom Fox, is that the one we followed on doublegunshop earlier this year?

Nice birds!! I love a brown phase grouse!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #5
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean, That Red/Brown Phase bird was a horse. We only that color Phase here in Va and damn few at that. They are as a rule pretty big and this bird could have given them a run for their money.

That is indeed the Strosin engraved Fox 20 gauge that Dan Rossiter did up for me. 5 lb 14 ounces of Grouse/Woodcock gun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom tutwiler For Your Post:
Unread 10-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #6
birddogdoc
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,527 Times in 267 Posts

Gorgeous Fox and pups...looks like a great trip
Visit Shawn Wayment's homepage!
Unread 10-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,328 Times in 12,399 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen a funnier grin on a dog as Sophie in that first photo

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-23-2015, 10:52 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

great hunt and dog work...i really like the photo of the dog with the bell on....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2015, 05:10 AM   #9
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
great hunt and dog work...i really like the photo of the dog with the bell on....charlie
Thanks Charlie,

I've got one of those Astro's and even with updating everything before I left it would say the dog was in one location and it was somewhere else. I've run Sophie with a Bell since day one of training and I like it for light cover where she works close. I did add a Lovett's add on beeper to her collar because in some of the slop she got out of bell range pretty quick. I'm not sure what long term damage a beeper does to a dogs hearing so I cut the sound in half on the beeper by applying duct tape to the end and cutting a small hole with a paper punch in the duct tape at the opening. I can hear her at 100 yards just barely.

I'll figure this Astro thing out, but mine is also a battery hog. I went thru a set of Duracells on the transmitter in about 90 minutes.
Unread 10-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #10
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,475 Times in 1,334 Posts

Great report and I love the pics of the dogs.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!