Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Unread 03-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Funny! Sherman Bell did the same test with a closet full of wall hangers and modern proof loads. Everyone and every gun survived.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Brad, do you use logwood? Very nice job on those barrels. I've got two sets going now myself.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 07:06 AM   #13
Parker Bachelder (Brad's Profile)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,925 Times in 202 Posts

Yes Ed, we do use logwood and chloride in our conversion steps..
Brad Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Brad Bachelder's homepage!
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #14
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

I've not heard of chloride being used. What is the application?
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 06:53 AM   #15
PGCA Member

Member Info

Ed, the process we use is quite involved. It is based on the original formulas, but is quite a bit more involved and just not suitable for home application. If you follow Gady's or Flannigans tutorials you can achive good black & white colors. with time and patience you can get satisfactory results. Be careful though it is very, very addictive. Surface preperation is about 70 % of the job.

Brad
Pattern variations from recent restorations
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #16
Clint Meier
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Pattern variations from recent restorations

Hello,
I am a new member, who doesn't own a Parker yet, but gets to handle quite a few of them, along with some other very fine guns. I ran across an Ithaca Grade 3 with mismatched Damascus patterns in the barrels, and thought it worthy of a pic and note to you guys. It does not appear to me to have been restored, but seems to be in excellent original condition. How common was mismatching tubes like this during manufacturing? Could it have been done to replace a damaged tube at some date after it's manufacture? Any light you shed on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you....Clint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_8947_edited.jpg (471.5 KB, 35 views)
Clint Meier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #17
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

Clint, we have seen that only a few times. It's a pretty rare occurance and likely to be original.
Drew Haus will probably have information on that anomaly.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #18
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,251 Posts

Welcome Clint, and if you're the fella in Lee's Summit word is you do nice work!

You no doubt saw Brad's mismatched Nitro Special on p.1. At least both your barrels are Chain, but the right is a mess. From Nov. 30, 1895 Sporting Life

http://www.la84foundation.org/Sports.../SL2610011.pdf
"The Gun Making Industry How Shot Guns Are Made and the Process Through Which They Pass Fully Explained"

The beginning of the manufacture of a gun is the barrels, and it is generally known that no barrels are made in this country except the rolled steel, which is used on the Winchester gun. All gun barrels are now imported, although an attempt was made a few years ago to produce them in this country, but with only partial success. England, Germany and Belgium supply most of the barrels, the latter country doubtless producing the larger quantity. All gun barrels, whether imported direct from the makers in Belgium, or through an importer in this country to the gun manufacturer, are received in rough tubes, which very much resemble a couple of gas pipes, but being somewhat larger at one end than at the other. These barrels or "tubes" as they are called, are merely tied together in pairs, with small wire and 40 to 50 pairs are packed in a box.

There are many kinds of barrels and each have several grades, the cheapest being the twist, of which there are a number of classes. Laminated steel is a better quality of barrel, while the Damascus barrel, which is the most popular, has the greatest number of grades of all. Many persons suppose that a barrel is a strong one if it is Damascus, when, in fact, a first-class twist barrel is superior in strength to many of the cheaper grades of Damascus.

When the tubes arrive from Belgium they clearly show the figure of the twist or the peculiar curl of the Damascus and the different qualities can thus be distinguished from the construction of the material shown, even in their rough state. These tubes are paired, trued up or straightened out if crooked and soldered together: the lugs on the bottom/ and the extension on the top being brazed in, but the top rib and under rib are hard soldered. The barrels are then very rough and are placed on machines, which cut down the lugs to nearly the required shape and size.

Actually, until the tubes are finished and colored, it can be difficult to identify the pattern. SO, a pair of tubes were likely wired together in Belgium, shipped to Ithaca, then joined, fit, finished and colored before the mis-match was apparent.
I'm in awe of the barrels guys at Parker as to their ability to match the D4 and D6 'Turkish' barrels.

Last edited by Drew Hause; 03-26-2010 at 10:55 AM..
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 03-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #19
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,960 Times in 1,418 Posts

I can vouch for Clint doing nice checkering and stock work. He recut the checkering and added a wood extension to my PH a few years ago and did it at a very reasonable price. Nice to have you aboard Clint
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #20
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hello Clint, Nice set of barrels, I feel that Ithica had some of the best chain patterns. Due to the apperance of the top rib, I believe that these barrels were refinished, but a long time ago. The pattern orientaion is correct, however the two tubes appear different. This is due to the refinishers etching process. As the ribands are wound and hammer welded the exerted hammer force varies between barrels. The tube that shows the white weld lines tells me that the metal is more dense than the welds on the other tube. Increased density from additional force is much harder to properly etch than less dense metal. Additional finishing steps need to be taken to even out the appearance, but It can be done. I doubt that they left the factory looking like that. Iam sure that the old timers had to deal with these problems on a daily basis, but they had there little tricks. The ability to take finish is greatly compounded by the hardness of the tubes. Parker fine twist barrels are among the hardest to refinish due to the hardness of the ribands. Potentially your barrels could look awsome, done correctly.

Brad
The Following User Says Thank You to Brad Bachelder For Your Post: