Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 02-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Same here Pete. Being a handloader like you I've gone to 3/4oz. loads in 12, 16, 20 and of course 28 and have been very pleased at the performance on birds and clays. Are they for everyone? Probably not because of the mindset that exists in the American shooter; you know... bigger is better. I believe that the loads that Parker suggested for the various gauges were at a time when they needed more shot in a load to perform on the pattern plate. The components available to us now are far superior and lighter loads perform so efficiently especially with tight chokes.
A few years back at Hausmann's I was talking with Morris Baker of RST fame and we were talking light loads. He reached into his pocket and handed me a few of his newest loads, 3/4oz 12 ga. which were in the development stage at that time. I reached into my vest and handed him a couple of my 3/4oz. 12 ga. loads which were also in development. Coincidence I guess but his claim was that he has'nt found a target that he could'nt break with it. I agree.
Very interesting. I read in some discussions regarding the physics of load columns. Seems it was understood that taller load shot columns on softer lead shot caused more shot deformity at hence more shot stringing. Which suggests it might not even be a square load issue but a mass issue, hence why 28 gauge even at 3/4 oz load is suppose to perform extremely well.

Agree with the US issue to solve certain problems, which obviously has mixed results. I love the old IBM commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZmHDEa0Y20
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote