Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Building a CH upgrade
Unread 03-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,419 Times in 4,595 Posts

Default Building a CH upgrade

This project started a while back. Unlike my 20g. hammer gun build, I decided not to document the whole thing too closely since all the work was less involved.

It all started with a set of 30" 2 frame 12g. Damascus barrels that had very nice bores. I kind of had them planned for something else, but I figured I would go through all my extra frames to see which ones the barrels would fit up well to. I have 2 or 3 VH frames that the barrels nearly fully closed on. So I figured I had a good platform for an upgrade. I picked the VH frame that had the shallowest cut engraving and started to work on it.

The VH is serial no 100908. I originally got it as a parts gun that had a poorly fitted non-original buttstock, no forend at all. And the original Vulcan barrels had both tubes badly bulged in front of the chambers. When I had picked out that frame, I went through my parts bins and found that I still had nearly all of the serial matched parts that came out of it. After fitting up the barrels to the frame, I quickly threw the action back together, put another buttstock onto it and took it out a fired a few rounds through it to make sure the barrels had no unforseen issues.

When everything came back apart, all hardened parts were annealed and the VH border engraving was wiped off. The actions look a bit different in their naked state.

The dolls head had to be worked down a little to be flush with the frame. All screws were replaced with new ones.
Some custom work to the gun was the underside of the forend iron was milled out as to lighten it some. It made about 1/2 oz. difference. The former straight top lever was converted to a fishtail.

The SSBP is one that I made from scratch using a plain hammer gun buttplate. The middle was roughed out with a mill and everything else was cleaned up with hand file work.

I decided on a straight grip stock for this gun. The stock is a piece of darker colored english walnut.

The photos below show everything as it is currently. Metal parts polished out and restocked with the wood only having a few coats of sealer on it.

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2749.jpg

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2737.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg
allen newell, Bill Murphy, Bill Zachow, Bob Jurewicz, Bob Kimble, Bob Roberts, bruce a lyons, Carvel Whaley, Christian Gish, Daryl Corona, David Dwyer, David Holes, Dean Freeman, Erick Dorr, ForrestArmstrong, Frank Cronin, Fred Lowe, Gary Carmichael Sr, Greg Phillips, Harold Lee Pickens, Harold Ward, Harry Collins, James J. Roberts, Jerry Harlow, Joe Dreisch, John Havard, john pulis, Larry Mason, Linn Matthews, Lloyd Bernstein, Louis Caissie, Mark Garrett, Mark Landskov, Matthew Brake, Michael Earls, Michael Scallion, Mills Morrison, Morris Davis, Neil Richardson, Paul Ehlers, Pete Kappes, Ralph English, Rich Anderson, Richard Flanders, Robert Kolesar, Robert Rambler, rufus thames, Sam Ogle, Scot Cardillo, Scott Fox, scott kittredge, Stephen Hodges, Todd Kaltenbach, Tom Pellegrini, Tony Ambrose
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 03-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
Todd Schrock
PGCA Member

Member Info

Looks very nice Brian. I love the wood!
Todd Schrock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Todd Schrock For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

That is going to be a nice gun. Just a thought But have you ever seen the top lever on a sabatti. If you cut yours out in stead of checkering it, it would be pretty unique for a parker.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
Tom
Forum Associate

Member Info

Looks great .
Did you make that stock or is it after market ?
Looking forward to pictures of the finished product.
Virginia Hessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

It is one of my own "aftermarket" stocks.
Unread 03-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

brian this is another fine project you have come up with youre gona get so many requests to do other guns like yours that it will certainly keep you busy...keep up the fine work...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #7
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Brian,
Very nice as usual. Will your engraver be able to reapply the rib matting well enough to make it unnoticeable? I have never seen that done and often wondered how well it could be matched.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #8
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I anticipate he can. It is only about 3/8" of it that got wiped out.

This gun will be going to Geoffroy Gournet for all the engraving work. I plan on having this gun and my 20g hammer project at the Southern and Hausmans for show and tell. After that, it will come apart for the engraving.
Unread 03-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

That will certainly be fantastic when finished. I like the fishtail lever. Hope to see it at the Southern. I have a little VHE 20 that would make a good project
gun. It is rough, but quite shootable,ejectors work fine, etc ,some dufus cut the barrels to 26 1/2". If I ever did anything with it, I would have a straight grip put on it.
Question, the frame is quite dark and dull, what would I use to "clean" it up some--a frontier pad, or some Flitz polish, certainly dont want to buff it out.
Harold
Unread 03-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #10
Tom
Forum Associate

Member Info

Brian
You can make that stock out of a hunk of wood !!
I am most impressed, stuff like this always inspires me to continue to learn.

Tom
Virginia Hessler is offline   Reply With Quote