Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 02-09-2024, 12:32 PM   #21
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

My first hunting experience was with my Dad and Mr. Wally, his hunting buddy. They both had beagles and it was what convince me that it wasn't hunting
unless you were using a trained dog. Good memories form days past. I would also like to beagle hunt again for old times sake.
Unread 03-17-2024, 04:27 PM   #22
Gary Kephart
PGCA Member

Member Info

looks like a great day!
Gary Kephart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Kephart For Your Post:
Unread 03-18-2024, 08:53 AM   #23
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

When I was a kid, everyone I know who lived out of town had a beagle or three. THey were the most common dog around and everyone hunted rabbits with them. They also stayed in a fitdue to their hard headedness on the hunt. Loveable all the rest of the time. Truth was thought that there were simply so many rabbits that you could limit out on them by walking through the field a couple of hours. The beagle hunting was more about the dogs. Deer hunting wasn't a problem because there hadn't been any deer for all practical purposes since before the turn of the century in Northeast KY. Although they seem to be making a small comeback, I didn't see a rabbit in over 20 years. We conversly had a herd of 50 to 75 deer on our old farm and watch them and the turkeys in our back yard during breakfast. Hard to fathom how things change in both directions in both directions. The rabbit issue is, I believe, due to coyotes illegally imported by fox hunters. As farmers gradually deal forcefully with the coyote issue, I believe the rabbits ar coming back and the deer improving more. The fox are even making a noted rebound.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 03-22-2024, 02:08 PM   #24
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

My cousin Mark and I used to hunt together in my youth, we sure had some good times chasing after those short legged beagle hounds. Mark is pushing 90 these days and his gunning days are behind him sadly. But the rabbits have essentially disappeared down at home too, sad days for sure.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 03-22-2024, 10:35 PM   #25
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,379 Times in 1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Craig, it's like hunting grouse, the locals say "Shoot 'em where you see 'em!!" I agree with the locals. As long as the dogs are nowhere near the critter, it is fair game.
Unless you’re starving for a chunk of flesh, you let the dogs run the rabbit. A pack running down a holler barking and baying is sacred singing.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!