Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #31
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

I might... what is the auction date. I have a collection of auction catalogs but I don’t have all of them.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2019, 04:48 PM   #32
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,772 Times in 2,352 Posts

I'd guess it would have to be a 1998 or 1999 auction. Don't think Mr. King would have been sitting on it too long.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #33
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I just checked my auction catalogs.

I have about 150 catalogs, mostly Julia’s and Amoskeag and a bunch of Devinne’s too with a few others in the mix bot not a single Little John’s among them.

Unread 03-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #34
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

It is also featured in the video Parkers at the End of the Rainbow
Mills Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #35
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Right, but what does the Little John’s write-up say about it I wonder.

Unread 03-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #36
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

I don't have that catalog
Mills Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 03-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #37
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

This thread has become alternately confusing and suspicious to me - like Dean, I remember examining this gun at the Vintagers at Sandanona NY before it was "enhanced" by refinishing by Jim Parker prior to being auctioned with the rest of his collection upon his death, as noted by Bill Mullins. As Dean accurately noted, the gun was "used hard" and had lots of field wear (more about that later).

What confuses me is Dave's reference to Larry Baer's "ruination" comment In his 1976 book (which I don't have) about the destruction of a fine Parker. As I read it, there was no allusion to either Max Fleischmann or the gun being a 2-barrel set. We may be talking about 2 different guns here.

The reason I say that is because I dug back into my file of "notable" auction catalog pages (I don't save the whole catalog; only pages with guns that interest me and that I have a direct connection to), and I found the page description (still looking for the photos) which I am reproducing verbatim here. This is just the catalog description page I have, I don't know what auction company, date, or venue it represents.

The page entry reads: 60. The Max C. Fleischmann Parker A-1 Special 2 Barrel Set 20 Ga. Ejector Gun serial #231774, on 0 frame with seven magnificent gold inlays. One set of barrels 32' the other 28". Both barrels have ivory front bead sights and ivory mid bead sights, 32" barrels forend lug marked 1, 28" lug marked 2. Both splinter forends numbered to gun, 28" forend marked 2 over serial number. Both barrels marked Parker Bros. Makers Meriden CT. USA Peerless Steel, and engraved at breeches and muzzle in A1 Special Pattern and numbered to gun. The frame is floral bouquet engraved in A1 Special Pattern. The magnificent gold inlays are as follows, right side cock & hen pheasant in yellow gold, left side 2 mallard ducks in yellow & pink gold. Bottom forward 3 flowers, 2 buds in 3 color gold, bottom middle 6 flowers, 6 leafs in wreath yellow gold around pink gold medallion flower. Triggerguard has 5 flowers in 3 colors of gold. Serial number on triggerguard tang in gold. Gold pistol grip cap engraved Max C. Fleischmann around floral scroll engraving. This 2 trigger model has articulated front trigger both gold plated. The beautifully figured walnut stock and forends are superbly carved and checkered in relief A1 Special Fleur de Lis patterns. Factory leather faced solid rubber recoil pad and sling swivel eyes on 28" barrel and buttstock. This is just the way Max C. Fleischmann ordered the gun from Parker in 1928 according to the consignor. Max always said he received the gun from Parker just before the "Crash" in 1929.
The condition of the gun is sound, original and well used. Max kept this gun on his Hope Plantation in South Carolina and used it everday for quail and ducks when he was at the plantation hunting. The 32" barrels retain 85% original blue sound and bright bores. The 28" 90-95% original blue and bright bores. The receiver is in excellent silvery grey with no scratches or dings on engraving or gold inlays. Both forends are dark and have many handling bruises, but are sound and original. The buttstock retains 95% original finish. Checkering is worn, but sound and complete. Gold plating on triggers is about 50%.

Provenance: 1929-1951 Max C. Fleischmann
1951-1992 Inherited by Marion Sams
1993-1995 Inherited by Marion Sams Jr.

Marion Sams was the manager of Hope Plantation. Max. C. Fleischmann asked him which gun he wanted after his death. Marion chose this gun and Mrs. Fleischmann gave it to Marion in 1951 after Max's death. Comes with letter from consignor and book Gentleman in the Outdoors, A Portrait of Max C. Fleischmann by Sessions S. Wheeler. This book has a photo of Max with this shotgun. The gun is a great example of American Gun Making and Art! (Illustrated in Color on Front Cover) (109) (80,000/120,000)

Can anyone help clear this up?
Kevin McCormack is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 03-09-2019, 11:30 PM   #38
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

If there is any question of when the Fleischman 20 gauge A1-S had the two sets of barrels and their respective forends, when I examined it at Sandanona it had both sets.

Unread 03-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #39
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,718 Posts

Jim Parker had a hard time leaving a good gun "as is". He had many guns refinished, and not done well.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 03-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #40
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

As I recall, and I don’t have my references in front of me, the first time it was auctioned by Julia's in its original ‘well used’ condition it sold (correct me if I’m wrong) in the $90-100k range and the next time it auctioned after having been “refinished” (finished in some collectors’ opinions) it sold in the $60-70k range.