Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 08-17-2020, 08:15 AM   #31
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Steven,

To beat a dead horse I will mention chokes again. I opened the chokes on two Parkers and have woken up in the middle of the night thinking how I wish I hadn't. At 72 I have a greater appreciation for choked guns. One of my go to Parkers is a two barrel set with the short barrels .015 and .025 constriction. Another I decided to shoot because it was a foul day early this past winter was a Trojan 12 with .030 and .040 constriction. I shot a 96 at sporting clays and have beaten a Fabbri shotgun at wobble and doubles trap. I certainly can't explain it. Maybe I'm not as fast as I once was and by the time I pull the trigger the pattern is just starting to develop. I'll admit open chokes give a little more wiggle room at close range, but if you are on the dog will always have work. You did buy a beautiful and honest Parker. I wish you a plentiful bounty.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 08-17-2020, 01:02 PM   #32
24 grams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
Be aware that adding significant length will change your mount point on the stock, thus the sightline down the rib will also change.
Yep, unless it is a parallel comb, which is not the case.

The truth is that if a man can shoot, gun fit just isn't critical. That said, it really is a pleasure to shoot a gun that fits perfectly.
Steven Groh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #33
24 grams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
Steven,

To beat a dead horse I will mention chokes again. I opened the chokes on two Parkers and have woken up in the middle of the night thinking how I wish I hadn't. At 72 I have a greater appreciation for choked guns. One of my go to Parkers is a two barrel set with the short barrels .015 and .025 constriction. Another I decided to shoot because it was a foul day early this past winter was a Trojan 12 with .030 and .040 constriction. I shot a 96 at sporting clays and have beaten a Fabbri shotgun at wobble and doubles trap. I certainly can't explain it. Maybe I'm not as fast as I once was and by the time I pull the trigger the pattern is just starting to develop. I'll admit open chokes give a little more wiggle room at close range, but if you are on the dog will always have work. You did buy a beautiful and honest Parker. I wish you a plentiful bounty.

Harry
Good advice.

The only reason I was interested in opening the chokes wasn't because I was worried about not hitting birds at close range, it was the converse; I just didn't want to make a mess of 15-20 yard birds.

You know, when you are in COVID lock down, it is really easy to overthink things
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steven Groh For Your Post:
Unread 08-17-2020, 07:40 PM   #34
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,614 Times in 2,667 Posts

I will be up north of Jerry’s for a couple weeks this fall and will stop by to see old friends. I hunted some of the same places that Jerry now hunts when I lived up in Grand Forks .

You know that at Jerry’s you will see folks with Purdeys and a bunch of others but lots of times the experienced hunters are carrying some well worn Parkers. Jerry certainly does. That brush does not keep a gun looking new for long. In a lot of ways there is nothing wrong with carrying a gun that looks like it has had a lot of use. I still carry the same 16 ga PHE there that I did many years ago .

On chokes, if you have a close crossing bird , pull ahead and shoot the head and neck . It is the same size as a clay pigeon . If in dense brush , you need all the shot you can to get through the branches.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 08-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #35
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,376 Times in 1,316 Posts

Is this the lesser of the two guns you brought up in another post? IMO when considering what to do on a lesser grade gun is first, be certain it can safely be shot by having the bbls and mechanics checked out. Second, fix anything broken. Third, take measures to arrest and prevent any further deterioration to the gun. That being said, I don’t like using ugly guns. Why worry about refinishing it if you don’t like the way it looks? If done properly it’s not going to harm the gun and would probably make it a little easier to sell if you decided to. Although savvy buyers will beat you up because it’s not original. If you leave it like it is they will beat you up because it needs so much work. High grade guns are a different matter.
Mike Franzen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 08-23-2020, 09:43 PM   #36
24 grams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Franzen View Post
Is this the lesser of the two guns you brought up in another post? IMO when considering what to do on a lesser grade gun is first, be certain it can safely be shot by having the bbls and mechanics checked out. Second, fix anything broken. Third, take measures to arrest and prevent any further deterioration to the gun. That being said, I don’t like using ugly guns. Why worry about refinishing it if you don’t like the way it looks? If done properly it’s not going to harm the gun and would probably make it a little easier to sell if you decided to. Although savvy buyers will beat you up because it’s not original. If you leave it like it is they will beat you up because it needs so much work. High grade guns are a different matter.
Nope, this is a nifty little VH 16 gauge at 6 1/2 pounds. It is pretty much in original condition. Very tidy all around, but showing her 93 years (in a good way).

I have run a flat of RST Ultra Lite 3/4 oz 1100 fps cartridges through it in the last ten days or so, and it shoots just fine. And I am very impressed with those loads? I see no reason to shoot anything hotter in the grouse woods.

The only thing I intend to do to this gun is repair the chip in the original dhbp and have an initial engraved on the stock shield.

IMG_1196.jpg
IMG_1203.jpg
IMG_1209.jpg
IMG_1205.jpg

It's nothing fancy, but this one is a keeper!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steven Groh For Your Post:
Unread 08-26-2020, 01:13 AM   #37
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,376 Times in 1,316 Posts

That really is a nice looking gun. The bbls look a little rough from what I can see in the photos. How long are they? A few years I bought a VH 16, 0 frame, 30” bbls for next to nothing when it was all said and done. It was rough but I liked the way it was configured. I sent the bbls off to be blued and the wood, which was a mess, to Brian Dudley. Larry Del Grego got the receiver to clean up and repair the action and he replaced several screws. It has become a go to gun for quail. All that work was necessary to bring the gun up to safe shooting standards. And it looks a whole lot better as well.
Mike Franzen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 08-26-2020, 09:55 AM   #38
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,337 Times in 363 Posts

I'm agree with Bruce I don't want my hunting guns untouched as to me that is a clear sign they've been safe or closet toys. My hunting guns looked used and if they could I hope they tell their next "caretaker" about all the places we've been and hunted!! Additional I hope I they are really well worn before their next "caretaker" takes possession!
PS: All of my hunting Parker's are "G" grades, Fox's are Sterlingworths and L.C. Smith's are Field Grade.
George Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George Davis For Your Post:
Unread 08-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #39
24 grams
Forum Associate

Member Info

I am very much inclined to agree with you guys (George and Mike). After 93 years there is no sin in a little restoration. The nice thing about this gun is that it is unmolested. The barrels have lost their color, but there is no sign of pitting, nor of polishing to remove blemishes. The screws are virtually pristine and properly indexed. The stock is too short, but the drop on face is right on. I bought a slip on pad from Galazan, and it shoots where I look.
If I really love it, after this fall's trip to the grouse woods, I will probably have the barrels done, case color the action, and see about a butt transplant.
Would I ever see my money out of that work? Probably not.
In the meantime, I will keep my eyes open for a higher grade 16.
Unread 08-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #40
24 grams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Franzen View Post
That really is a nice looking gun. The bbls look a little rough from what I can see in the photos. How long are they? A few years I bought a VH 16, 0 frame, 30” bbls for next to nothing when it was all said and done. It was rough but I liked the way it was configured. I sent the bbls off to be blued and the wood, which was a mess, to Brian Dudley. Larry Del Grego got the receiver to clean up and repair the action and he replaced several screws. It has become a go to gun for quail. All that work was necessary to bring the gun up to safe shooting standards. And it looks a whole lot better as well.
Based upon some of the work I have seen here, it looks like Brian does excellent work. I particularly like the butt transplant he did here.