Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 11-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #11
Jeff O'Neill
Forum Associate

Member Info

I routinely use the 28" barrel set on my 28ga gun for pointed quail, though they are choked Mod and Full. To compensate I use the Polywad spreader shells, and all is well out to perhaps 30 yards.
Jeff O'Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #12
Heff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff O'Neill View Post
I routinely use the 28" barrel set on my 28ga gun for pointed quail, though they are choked Mod and Full. To compensate I use the Polywad spreader shells, and all is well out to perhaps 30 yards.
That's good to hear Jeff, I just got in a flat of the polywad spreaders. I'm hoping they pattern well and I won't need to open up the chokes. From everything I've read they work well, and your response helps to confirm that. Weather permitting I will put them on paper this weekend and be able to share the results.
Unread 11-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #13
Jeff O'Neill
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Hefflinger View Post
That's good to hear Jeff, I just got in a flat of the polywad spreaders. I'm hoping they pattern well and I won't need to open up the chokes. From everything I've read they work well, and your response helps to confirm that. Weather permitting I will put them on paper this weekend and be able to share the results.

Hope it works well for you. My 26" barrel set is choked more loosely, but combined with the strap on pad I use to get LOP out to about 15" they feel very whippy. If you think you need a bit more range choice than the spreaders give you, use a spreader in the left barrel and a regular shell in the right. You'll pull the triggers in a reverse order but end up with patterns something like skeet from the left and mod from the right. Good luck!
Jeff O'Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #14
Sam Ogle
Forum Associate

Member Info

Steve, I had my gunsmith open mine. He is very conservative, so he went .15/.15.
I shot it, and took it back and said "More." So he went Three and a half thousandths. MUCH better for this 73-year old stumblebum. Now the beautiful thing shoots for me.
And, yes, it's funny that my old VH 12 Ga. 32" barreled gun is choked full & "Oh my God full," & I like it, but for my 28 gauge, I want very open chokes. Why? I can't answer that; all I can tell you is that is where it shoots for ME. (The next guy may not like it at all, but I don't care.)
Sam Ogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #15
Steve Kleist
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ogle View Post
Steve, I had my gunsmith open mine. He is very conservative, so he went .15/.15.
I shot it, and took it back and said "More." So he went Three and a half thousandths. MUCH better for this 73-year old stumblebum. Now the beautiful thing shoots for me.
And, yes, it's funny that my old VH 12 Ga. 32" barreled gun is choked full & "Oh my God full," & I like it, but for my 28 gauge, I want very open chokes. Why? I can't answer that; all I can tell you is that is where it shoots for ME. (The next guy may not like it at all, but I don't care.)
Sam,
They say great minds think alike......
A stumblebum too,
Steve Kleist
Steve Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Kleist For Your Post:
Unread 11-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #16
Billy Gross
PGCA Member

Member Info

Guys - I just got my 28" 28 Ga M/F Repro barrel back from Briley. I had both barrels opened to .003. I love it and shot a very nice round of skeet with it. Billy
Billy Gross is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #17
Rob Greenside
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just curious, what did Briley charge for this service? I might have same done to mine. Beautiful 28 you have BTW. Thanks, Rob
Rob Greenside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #18
Billy Gross
PGCA Member

Member Info

Rob - It was $190 plus $38 for shipping and insurance. Billy
Billy Gross is online now   Reply With Quote