Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Shotgun stalk?
Unread 08-28-2018, 10:55 PM   #1
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Default Shotgun stalk?

I am reading Doug Stewart's very enjoyable book on side x sides and I have come across a term that is driving me nuts. He keeps calling gun stocks "stalks"....is this and English english vs American english type of thing or is it a spelling error that made it past editing? I have never in my life hear of a stock refereed to as a stalk. Now, this is in no way a real criticism of the book as it is an enjoybable read and I recommend it, but it makes me curious as he uses the term repeatedly.
Unread 08-29-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
Nick de Guerre
Forum Associate

Member Info

King Cobb,

I'm not familiar with the book in question...is this a very academic, historical book published in England, in VERY formal prose?

If so, then the answer to your question is..."possibly." I can't say I have ever heard "stock" and "stalk" used interchangably. But the Oxford dictionary does include this little tidbit along side the standard definition of "stalk" that we'd all expect:

Origin - Middle English: probably a diminutive of dialect stale ‘rung of a ladder, long handle.

That last bit suggests the term might have been used in centuries past. But again, I've never heard it done. The question is, why in a book written in modern prose would anyone use it, even if technically OK in a language sense?

It would be just plain goofy if it simply got past editing, but I guess weirder things have happened. Certainly it's harder to catch inadvertent use of another proper word, than it is to catch a typo.

Beyond this, I can tell you blue collar Red Sox fans would say both words with zero distinction. They speak of gun stawks, corn stawks, and tech stawks on the stawk exchange.

- Nudge

Last edited by Nick de Guerre; 08-29-2018 at 03:56 PM..
Nick de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
Nick de Guerre
Forum Associate

Member Info

Sorry, I had a third cup of coffee this morning.

- NDG
Nick de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Its actually an American book Doug just came out with, but with his fondness for some of the english side x sides I was curious if it was something he may have picked up from them.
Unread 08-29-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,598 Times in 388 Posts

I got the book a few weeks ago and was wondering the same thing, sure is very odd.
Unread 08-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,247 Times in 12,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick de Guerre View Post
Beyond this, I can tell you blue collar Red Sox fans would say both words with zero distinction. They speak of gun stawks, corn stawks, and tech stawks on the stawk exchange.

- Nudge

Nevertheless, 'stock' as it may pertain to wood -

"The trunk or main stem of a tree, or other plant, as distinguished from roots and branches."

"The handle of a whip, fishing rod, etc."

"The trunk or stump of a tree left standing."

"Stalk" in place of 'stock' may have been intentional but my best guess is in the technical or digital editing process used comercially today if it is spelled 'stalk' just once in the text and the editors think that should be the correct spelling (sometimes even without checking with the author) a couple of keystrokes by the editor can change the spelling of 'stock' to 'stalk' each and every time it appears.

Sometimes I wonder what our schools have been teaching.... or if the students were even paying attention....

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Nice use of emotibonics Dean.

Btw since author just rolled out the book then call, email and ask him. Maybe it was a typo where someone did a search and replace before it went to press or its intentional. He will know and maybe learn something. Maybe that is a crazy old term.

In laws live in New Orleans it took me years to figure things they say down there as it relates things we know.

Page Fence = Chain link fence
Neutral Ground = Median
French Duck= Resident Mallard (Big fat suckers)
Grey Duck = Gadwall
Black Duck = Scaup
Pool Doo = Coots
Gaspergoo =Freshwater Drum
Sac A Lait = Crappie

Nick I think your use of Boston translation is spot on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTfS0nAgfuE

Hey Dean this is Mahk talking about emojis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d03svtYlFm8

Last edited by Todd Poer; 08-29-2018 at 12:04 PM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

That's probably what the Author, Doug Stewart, is referring to near the beginning of this interview by Nick Larson on the Project Upland podcast. Stewart kind of sheepishly says to ignore the grammatical errors in the book. That he really does know a lot about SxS's and he is aware of how the "grammatical errors" might make it seem like he doesn't. He repeats the apology and they talk about the typo at length, without specifically saying what the typo is, at around 1:01:00. The interview is from Aug. 23/18.

https://www.dougstewartauthor.com/news/

I didn't realize that Doug Stewart was a PGCA member. I see he had a post a while back to introduce the book. Had I known that I would have let him respond to the spelling question.

Here is a link to the post in case you missed it like I did.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24723
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Brown For Your Post:
Unread 08-29-2018, 09:46 PM   #9
Doug Stewart
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hey gentlemen, I am Doug Stewart, the author of the book you are discussing. I just came across this thread and had to laugh a little because I couldn't believe the word "stalk"got past editing. When I saw this mistake the printer made it caused me much grief. It's a long story on why they ended up hitting the market before this mistake was caught among a few other words so I apologize for those who ended up with the first run that included these mistakes. I assure you the book editing has been re-processed and now is corrected. I've been told by many that this happens. To assure you of my credentials and that I am a gun guru, listen to my podcast interview with Nick Larson of The Upland Project. You can listen by going to my website www.dougstewartauthor.com under the NEWS section. Again, sorry for the confusion. I am a true Parker collector and thanks to everyone for your support. The side by side renaissance is coming!!

Doug
Doug Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Doug Stewart For Your Post:
Unread 08-29-2018, 09:51 PM   #10
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Doug, no worries here and it certainly doesn't take away from the book. I am enjoying it thoroughly and you even have me interested in a 2 inch 12ga if i can find one