Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New Parker owner from Missouri.
Unread 05-18-2020, 01:32 PM   #1
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,071 Times in 418 Posts

Default New Parker owner from Missouri.

Hello all, thanks for letting me get signed up.

Just picked up my first Parker last week. It's a 1926 Parker Trojan 12ga with 30" M/F barrels. I had been looking for a decent Trojan or VH for many years now, that was not more than I wanted to spend. Finally ran across a nice Trojan a little over a week ago, and all I can say is I am very happy with the purchase. She's not perfect but in very good shootable condition, and best I can tell all original. Looks like a gun that was carried a lot, but maybe not shot so much.... Wood appears to be in original condition, same with metal. Locks up real tight, and barrels have a nice ring to them.

I have been slowing trying to pick up one of each of the great American SxS's over the last 5-6 years. I now own a 1926 AH Fox Sterlingworth 16ga Philly gun, that according to serial # is the 10,000 Fox SW 16ga. A nice LC Smith
FWT 16ga from 1940, A Lefever Nitro(not a real Lefever but an Ithaca) 16ga from 1946 that I bought for my son when he completed Nuke School with the Navy, this gun is all but new condition, and an Ithaca NID 12ga with 30" M/F chokes that is in excellent condition as well.

I know somewhere buried in this forum is a lot of good information on Parkers, I guess my first question would be, what are some solid pheasant/Duck loads people have shot in their Parkers. I don't want to over do it. RST Bismuth are $65 a box, but if that's best option, so be it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shotguns.jpg (202.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg AttheRange.jpg (443.9 KB, 5 views)
Unread 05-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Welcome, Joseph, from another Missourian (from up near the Iowa border). Your "arsenal" looks to be a fine one. There are Association members that do lots of waterfowl hunting with their guns, and have lots of knowledge regarding reloading non-toxic shot. I use the RST non-toxic shells, but I only waterfowl hunt occasionally, opting for upland birds more often than not.

You might try the search function located at the top of the forum page. There's also a reloading section, and I see lots of good information coming from it.

Again, welcome.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 05-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Joseph, a Parker Trojan 12 on a 2-frame is a very stout gun. When I was a youngster and hunted ducks and pheasants with the same gun I shot whatever was on the shelf at the hardware store. Plastic shells and shot collars/wads had only recently come on the scene and we were not yet restricted to non-toxic shot so for me it was “high brass” lead #6’s for everything. Except for the 100 year old stock there isn’t much to worry about in what you feed it... as long as it’s reasonable.

I will say that your Trojan is the strongest of the three on your wall.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Welcome, Joseph, from another Missourian (from up near the Iowa border).
I own a place close up that way, just N/W of Macon Missouri.
Unread 05-18-2020, 03:37 PM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sheerin View Post
I own a place close up that way, just N/W of Macon Missouri.
Hey! Then we are "neighbors" of sorts. We live in northern Adair Co. and have a tree farm in SE Putnam Co. I've taken a few ducks over the years at the Atlanta WMA.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 05-18-2020, 03:44 PM   #6
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Joseph, a Parker Trojan 12 on a 2-frame is a very stout gun. When I was a youngster and hunted ducks and pheasants with the same gun I shot whatever was on the shelf at the hardware store. Plastic shells and shot collars/wads had only recently come on the scene and we were not yet restricted to non-toxic shot so for me it was “high brass” lead #6’s for everything. Except for the 100 year old stock there isn’t much to worry about in what you feed it... as long as it’s reasonable.

I will say that your Trojan is the strongest of the three on your wall.

The stock on this gun, is in excellent shape, and it is a #2 frame. Feels very stout, even compared to the Ithaca NID of the same configuration. I did notice when shooting clays the other day, the NID definitely had more bite to it than the Parker..... I am very excited about finding this gun, it's not perfect, but I buy these guns to shoot them, and have shied away from the graded guns.... Mostly because sinking several grand into a gun that unless you are an expert at identifying issues, you never know what you are getting. I think I know enough to avoid a major mistake, but when dumping 3-5K into a gun.... And, I know we have all seen 3-K mistakes on Gunbroker and Guns International....

I had been looking at guns in shops, online for several years now just hoping to come across one that I thought was in the right condition, for the right price. While I'd love to have it in 20 or 16ga..... There is nothing wrong with 12ga guns either. And, I love 30" barrels on a SxS. My Fox 16 is very light and fun to hunt with so I have that if I want to use a sub gauge.....
Collection
Unread 05-18-2020, 07:53 PM   #7
davidboyles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Collection

Nice functional group of serious hunting firearms that you don't need to baby in the field and they will all hold their own. Bet your auto loader friends will be jealous. Mine are!!
davidboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidboyles For Your Post:
Unread 05-18-2020, 10:24 PM   #8
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

Yes, that is a stable of solid performers, not a lot of flash, but will get the job done in any situation for the next 100 years. Welcome to the PGCA.
Unread 05-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #9
George Lang
PGCA Member

Member Info

Welcome aboard Joe. Unfortunately that's how it all starts, one of each American double, then one in each gauge, then each model and so on and so on. Good luck, enjoy them.
George Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2020, 09:28 PM   #10
Keith A. Zynda
PGCA Member

Member Info

Welcome from another Missouri member!
That's a nice collection you've started. It certainly does get addictive.
Keith A. Zynda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith A. Zynda For Your Post: