Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions

Notices

Unread 04-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #21
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

and an old saying "one size fits all fits no one"

many crowded urban areas are in crisis - quarantine them, I understand, but the vast majority (area wise) of the country has few if any cases.

The local news lists the surrounding counties' stats every morning, single digits for cases and many zeros or maybe 1 or 2 deaths tops. But our governor, like so many is getting high on the control he has.

As of today you must wear a mask in public any place in the state, he says just like we had to get used to taking our shoes off at the airport after 9/11 (that wasn't 9/11 it was the idiot shoe bomber) so now he says the new normal from now on will be having your temperature read as you enter a building.

HIPAA will be gutted to allow state databases of illnesses - once controls are in place "for your own good" they don't go away

also - not to minimize any family's loss, but I would be very curious to know about the condition of many of the victims - since they say there were underlying health conditions - my point being for example - every time we have a major snow storm they say how many people the storm killed - many if not most are heart attacks shoveling snow, is that really a storm death- if the same guy had the heart attack dragging a deer out of the wood they say its a hunting fatality - otherwise its natural causes
Unread 04-17-2020, 11:28 AM   #22
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post

also - not to minimize any family's loss, but I would be very curious to know about the condition of many of the victims - since they say there were underlying health conditions - my point being for example - every time we have a major snow storm they says how many people the storm killed - many if not most are heart attacks shoveling snow, is that really a storm death- if the same guy had the heart attack dragging a deer out of the wood they say its a hunting fatality - otherwise its natural causes

I think we need to be careful in categorizing levels of "underlying health conditions" because again, "one size" does not "fit all"... just sayin'...

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #23
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

absolutely - as I said a curiosity, certainly not every case was inevitable

and there are serious existing circumstances as we know or even less serious short term issues like my adult daughter who was fighting non related severe cold last week- she was confined to her home by me first and then her doctor- I ran all errands for her -

as Mark Twain once said - "all generalizations are false"
Unread 04-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #24
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

From what I understand, no matter how you die, if you test positive you are listed as COVID-10 related death and added to the stats as a COVID death, doesn't matter if you die in a car accident if you test positive you will be part of the stats.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2020, 01:27 PM   #25
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,372 Times in 3,073 Posts

I have been self-quarentining for years and find the only difference is that now my dog and I are no longer able to speak freely, as my wife has been working from home for the past month. If I were to die from a gunshot wound, it would be a direct result of her also “sheltering in place” hence, Covid-19 related.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Sheltering hazards!
Unread 04-17-2020, 01:39 PM   #26
Keavin Nelson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 440 Posts

Default Sheltering hazards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
I have been self-quarentining for years and find the only difference is that now my dog and I are no longer able to speak freely, as my wife has been working from home for the past month. If I were to die from a gunshot wound, it would be a direct result of her also “sheltering in place” hence, Covid-19 related.
Indeed Edgar, there may be a rash of these incidents!
Unread 04-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #27
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
From what I understand, no matter how you die, if you test positive you are listed as COVID-10 related death and added to the stats as a COVID death, doesn't matter if you die in a car accident if you test positive you will be part of the stats.
Remember the more Covid and the more Covid deaths there are the more federal Covid money you will get from the Feds. A financial incentive to increase your numbers, but who would do that?
Unread 04-17-2020, 01:57 PM   #28
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Tell me about it... being that today is the effective date in NY for all to wear masks. My attitude is that no way no how will anyone MAKE me do anything of the sort. I can certainly differentiate between the problems that the urban centers face as compared to rural areas in the same state.

This morning I made my routine run to the post office after dropping my son off to daycare and then went to the home center to get supplies for the weekends projects. I put a bandanna in my pocket in the event that someone gave me a real fuss about not wearing a mask and would refuse me entry or something like that.
Yeah, about 80% were wearing masks. But, I was seeing employees with them down under their noses. Or adjusting them and rubbing their faces with their bare hands. A total joke... as Pete said, if you are going to do something, do it. What kills me is seeing people driving around in their cars with masks and with gloves on. Wearing the same pair of gloves everywhere is worse than wearing none and just sanitizing or washing your hands. Unless you put on a pair of gloves to do a specific task, then remove/dispose of them and then wash your hands, they do NOTHING.

When I have to go out, I am cautious and courteous, take it slow and make the point to sanitize or wash my hands after leaving somewhere.

Ultimately you are no more likely to contract the Wuhan Flu than you are the regular flu or the common cold. Just practice the things that will help you not catch those things normally. Like you should have been doing all along.
I really aee that as being the major lasting effect of all this, a real consciousness of how illness is spread and trying to prevent it on the individual level. And that is no by living kn fear.

These are just my thoughts. And I know that everyone has their own level of “taking the situation seriously”.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 04-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #29
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

The are many expert and conflicting opinions. Dr. Z. is a Stanford trained MD and a practicing GP in Last Vegas. I think he makes a lot of sense. He discusses many things including the use of masks and gloves.

Unread 04-18-2020, 08:10 AM   #30
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

A very interesting read and yes it's been fact checked on top of fact checking. Really good reason the numbers are staying up..................

https://saraacarter.com/cares-act-pa...prF_lnd6qDHgpA
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post: