Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New Member From Maine
Unread 04-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
Kent Raymond
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New Member From Maine

Hi all,
I'm excited to have found this forum! I'm hardly a proper collector, I only own one Parker but I'm very interested in the information this forum has to offer. My shotgun is a VH grade, 20 gauge, 0 frame; it was made in 1925. My grandfather bought this gun used at a local hardware store as a teenager at some point in the 40's. On his deathbed he had only a few wishes, one of them was that I was to get his shotgun; I was quite young at the time and really didn't understand the significance of this. I was presented this gun by my dad when I was 13, fairly new to hunting but experienced enough to handle such a gun without damaging it. Since then the gun has rode along side me over hundred of miles of woods-roads, hiked through many fine grouse covers and killed many birds. I own several shotguns including a couple of fine upland guns. Of all of these my old Parker is by far my favorite; It has a pretty big sentimental meaning to me and in my opinion it comes up and shoots better than anything I own. Despite its years of use all bearing surfaces are so tight that they almost appear to be one piece and have no wiggle, the length of pull couldn't have been more perfect for me if I had the gun custom made. The finish on the buttstock has peeled over the years, exposing bare wood. I was wondering what the general opinion is about having this refinished? I've been told this would destroy the collectors value; frankly this isn't a concern to me as I wont ever sell the gun but I do worry that refinishing would mess up the character of the gun. Any input on this is appreciated.
Kent Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kent Raymond For Your Post:
Unread 04-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #2
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Could you post some photos of the stock? Personally...if the finish is down to bare wood, I would have it refinished by someone experienced in the proper method. Is the checkering still in good shape?
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Hi Kent and Welcome to our Parker forun.

You’re a lucky guy to have your grandfather’s Parker and to be able to appreciate it. You’re luckier still to live in Maine where upland hunting is right out your door and grouse and woodcock vie for the number one spot in bird hunting.

I will say Please don’t restore your granddad’s gun - he put all that wear on it and every nick and scar is evidence that he enjoyed his time with it. If it’s really grungy it can be cleaned. If the wood finish is worn, cracked and peeled get yourself some Timberluxe and make it warm and pretty again.

But let’s see some pics of your VH 20 and you’ll get some good advice.

PS where in Maine are you?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-14-2020, 09:52 PM   #4
Kent Raymond
Forum Associate

Member Info

Austin, I've attached some photos. I guess I probably should have specified that the finish is only down to wood on the top and bottom of the stock and is peeling around the rear.

Dean, I never really considered the value of the scratches and dings on the stock; I agree and I'm probably going to keep it as-is. Timberluxe seems like a product that would work well on my gun, do you know the difference between original Timberluxe and #2? I live right outside of Bangor at the moment, I'm going to school in Orono.
50868BA6-15C2-4E00-98A5-2EA4990D2310.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

283003BE-28B7-4720-B4C8-759D4E91240F.jpg

F380E59E-0D88-4C2B-B70B-1B653043CB6A.jpg

7A43C86A-4112-4003-99F1-D43D0E766CBF(1).jpg

1021A038-80DE-4D69-A2E4-31F2AD029250(1).jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7A43C86A-4112-4003-99F1-D43D0E766CBF.jpg (421.8 KB, 5 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kent Raymond For Your Post:
Unread 04-14-2020, 10:32 PM   #5
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Don't add anything. Don't do anything. Leave it as is. This gun is beautiful just the way it is.

PS. There are quite of few of us in the NE area who love to shoot Parkers and other vintage shotguns. We do get together to do a fun shoot at Scarborough Fish and Game. Afterwards we eat lunch and check out the gun room in Cabellas. We do this in the summer and would be a great way to introduce yourself and your nice VH. Having a gun in hand to see the overall condition of your gun and you can receive some good advice. Judging by the posted pictures alone it has honest wear, I wouldn't change a thing though.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Cronin For Your Post:
Unread 04-14-2020, 10:40 PM   #6
Kent Raymond
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Cronin View Post
Don't add anything. Don't do anything. Leave it as is. This gun is beautiful just the way it is.

PS. There are quite of few of us in the NE area who love to shoot Parkers and other vintage shotguns. We do get together to do a fun shoot at Scarborough Fish and Game. Afterwards we eat lunch and check out the gun room in Cabellas. We do this in the summer and would be a great way to introduce yourself and your nice VH. Having a gun in hand to see the overall condition of your gun and you can receive some good advice. Judging by the posted pictures alone it has honest wear, I wouldn't change a thing though.
I definitely be interested in joining you guys for a shoot; I work in Windham during the summer so I'm actually pretty close to Scarborough.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kent Raymond For Your Post:
Unread 04-14-2020, 10:44 PM   #7
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

Great old gun, with a great history. Yeah, I think Timberlux would be ok, but nothing more. Reminds me of my favorite grouse gun, a VHE 20 with a stock in even worse shape.
What are the barrel length and chokes?
Welcome to the PGCA!!
Oh, and by the way, by all means if you can get out and shoot with Frank, and his buddies, you wont regret it. I look forward to shooting with them each year at the NE SXS Shoot
Unread 04-14-2020, 11:02 PM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Kent, that VH is the perfect candidate for Timberluxe but I don't know the difference between them. You should go on his website to find out. Or simply ask Brian Board, owner of Timberluxe, at info@timberluxe.com and he'll give you the simple straight answer.

Below is one of my two Parkers that have recently had the wood finish restored using only Timberluxe.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5894.jpg (501.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5895.jpg (500.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5896.jpg (508.2 KB, 1 views)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-15-2020, 12:30 AM   #9
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Raymond View Post
I definitely be interested in joining you guys for a shoot; I work in Windham during the summer so I'm actually pretty close to Scarborough.
Sounds good. It will be a weekend shoot. Saturday or Sunday. Once this COVID19 goes away, we'll plan it. PM me your contact details and I'll let you know.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Cronin For Your Post:
Unread 04-15-2020, 08:01 AM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I can bring along my bore gauge and chamber depth gauge Kent if you’re interested in knowing those measurements on your gun.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: