Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

International Arms Control Treaty
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Default International Arms Control Treaty

Some may think I am paranoid for worrying about gun control but given the current administration, I admit I am a little more than casually concerned. Today I received an email with this link and thought I would share with my fellow gun enthusiasts. For me, this coming from a sitting U.S. Senator has more weight, and cause to listen, than if it came from the N.R.A..

http://sm2.responsebeacon.com/track?...rg/viewbrowser

Sorry about the begging for money part, ignore that if you want but the message seems to be something we should be concerned about right now. I know it will not do much good in one case here in my state, but I will contact both my Senators and express my views against this today.

I thought you might like to be aware of how this is progressing too.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

This has been rattling around for a year or two. According to Snopes, it's false.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/untreaty.asp

Nevertheless, keep paying your NRA dues.
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

John, interesting link.

I know who Rand Paul is but I have no idea who is behind the curtain at snopes.com and can't understand how they became the end all authority on the internet.

You have made a good point and I'm not going to believe either link for the moment.

I just sent off an email to Senator Rand Paul asking him if the link with his signature is truly representing his views and included the link to snopes.com asking why there seems to be a discrepancy.

I'll post his reply when I get it.
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Sam Ogle
Forum Associate

Member Info

Snopes is an organization that looks into rumors and tells the truth. Unfortunately, they have stepped on the toes of those who generate the unending rumor mill, so now, THEY are attacked as being "left wing."
You can print or say anything on the internet, and a portion of the populace will believe you. Whether it is radical left-wing crap or radical right-wing crap.

And.....so it goes.

Sam Ogle
Sam Ogle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam Ogle For Your Post:
Snopes
Unread 02-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Snopes

Hi Sam, I have an article about Snopes I would like to send you. If you are interested send me your emial on a PM. Cheers, Tom
Tom Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Sam,

I never said snopes.com was "left wing" or "right wing". All I said was I don't know who they are and I will not take what they say as the final word on anything. I don't trust the evening news to be accurate, why should I think scopes.com will be any better? Because of the snopes.com post I can not assume the link I first posted to be true either.

So, I asked Senator Paul for clarification. I will believe him on this topic, when it comes directly from him, because it is his job as a Senator to vote to ratify any treaty. He should be more informed than snopes.com on the state of this topic.

I'm sorry I started this thread, I should have contacted Senator Paul first. I apologize for the noise generated here but I will be interested in reading his reply. I just hope it isn't some nondescript form letter that doesn't answer my question, that happens "sometimes" you know.
Unread 02-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Ruff Hunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I did some research on the concept of "small arms" at the international level once. What I found (can't recall where) made perfect sense. Small arms are defined as military weapons like machine guns, hand grenades, mortars, land mines, etc., Essentially, any military weapon that isn't a tank, ICBM, fighter jet, heavy ordinance, etc. The concept of "small arms" is supposedly distinct from civilian "sporting arms" like shotguns, rifles, pistols, etc. I doubt that any international treaty will impact shooters or collectors within the U.S., except maybe the class 3 folks, and I'm even dubious of that, as they are already so heavily regulated. Clearly, the statement that all semiautos will be banned is false. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in the Heller vs. DC case that we have a constitutional right to possess a semi-auto handgun. So I suspect this is mostly hype...but we should still remain vigilant just the same.
Justin Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

Gentlemen,google the official UN website and read their own words on small arms in civilian hands. I think you will find it enlightening.
Robert Delk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks Robert,

I searched around and I found

http://www.un.org/disarmament/convarms/SALW/

which is what you were referring to? Interesting that it is listed under disarmament! I saw the link on that page to UNICEF and clicked it, also interesting;

I always thought that UNICEF was a joint collection of humanitarian organizations similar to United Way but focused on children of the world. I guess not just that; this is turning out to be a real learning experience.
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

I heard that if you send Mr. Paul your money and you'll get a free hat made of tin foil. The Obama Administration has been in place for over three years and people are still worried about him taking guns. In the meantime, the current Republican front runner (of the week) wants to "overrule" the Supreme Court and generally re-write the Constitution to comply with his view of religion. Pick your poison.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote