Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

shot shell question
Unread 02-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
dubose vann
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default shot shell question

On the forum pages I notice that most or some of the members have parkers that are over 100 yrs old or close it.
my question is what size load or brass height can u shoot through it.
im kinda nervous shooting my parker s.b.t. but excited to shoot the gun.
please help me in any way that anyone can.
thank y'all lots. Dubose
dubose vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

If you are going to shoot brass hulls, you will need to know the chamber length so it fits correctly. Your gun probably has 2 5/8" chamber and I wouldn't hesitate to use plastic or paper 2 3/4" hulls in your SBT.

As for lead, I use mostly 1 oz loads for trap, skeet, clays.... that's all you really need. Keep pressures below 7000 PSI and it will be good for you and the wood on the gun.

I won't post load recipes because there are a bunch of loads out there with various powders. There are plenty of threads in the reloading section on this subject.

You can also get some shells from RST if you really want to see what your Parker can do if you really can't wait to shoot it.

As long as the gun is sound, barrels are in good condition, there is nothing to be nervous about.... Enjoy and show them over-under trap guys at the range your new Parker.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Cronin For Your Post:
Unread 02-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

If you look at a SBT stock it is built like a tank, if in good condition of course. As for my SBT we shoot full 11/8 0z. loads. I try to stay below 10000 psi. Dave
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Holes For Your Post:
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Sam Ogle
Forum Associate

Member Info

My first Parker was an old VH 30" full choke #2 frame. It was "too much drop," "too old, ("why did I buy this thing?") and too tightly choked.
I was unaware at the time about low pressure loads, so I shot regular hunting loads in it.
Of course, when I just centered the first two birds I shot at, suddenly this "old thing" became my magic wand, and even though I trade, trade, trade; there is always a Parker or two in the gun safe. And, yes, a 12 gauge #2 frame with "too much drop."
I would think you could safely shoot 3 dram trap loads; but the advice of other shooters regarding 1 ounce loads is right on. For the last 25+ years, I have shot one ounce and even 7/8 ounce loads, and just can't tell the difference in hits. On the trap fields, I have used 8 1/2 shot for 16 yard to 24 yards, 1 ounce, and it just turns targets into dust if I do my part.
In other words: Oh hell, just shoot the damn thing!
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, Ne
Sam Ogle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sam Ogle For Your Post: