Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Plenty of Parkers
Unread 02-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,215 Times in 896 Posts

Default Plenty of Parkers

I took a ride yesterday from the Granite State to our good neighbors to the Northeast, the State Of Maine. Of course my destinations were LL Beans in Freeport, and Cabela’s in Scarborough. In about an hour and forty five minutes I was at my first stop, LL Beans. I don’t visit Beans as much as I used to before they “modernized” the store by tearing down the old, square, creaky floor original building and replacing it with the new, “modern” store. I suppose it caters to the “yuppie” generation better. But I digress. For a small used firearms area I found quite a few vintage doubles, to include two nice shooter Parker VH’s, both 12 gauge. One on a #2 frame and another on a #1 ½ frame. Both priced around $1700 or so. They also had a decent DHE in 12 gauge for about $3450 which was on a #2 frame. The other double that struck my eye was an AYA #2 in 28 gauge. Pretty sweet gun. Oh, and a Parker Reproduction in 20 gauge with a PG stock for about $3400. Case coloring was about gone on this one.
Then lunch and off to Cabela’s. I was very surprised to fine several Parkers in the Gun Library. Three VH’s, 12 gauges with two sets of barrels. One has a set of 28” and another set of 24”, both serialized to the gun. I was told the 24” barrels were added to snipe hunt with. A nice shooter 12 VHE with 28”, choked ic/mod, and a DHE 20 gauge with two sets of Damascus barrels. This gun is in pretty nice shape. The nicest one is a VH in 28 gauge, but it has 3”s of drop. The price on that one is about $11,500. But I came close to walking away with a WW Greener 16 gauge. This gun has very nice wood, with sleeved 27” barrels choked SK/SK. At 6 Lbs even it points very will and could be carried all day. $1650 I think. The only thing that held me back was the darn safety on the side. I don’s think I could get used to that. All in all a great day with some nice gun to look at and handle. If anyone is interested in more information on a particular gun just pm me and I may be able to give you more. John, I am sorry that I did not get all the way “down” to KTP, but I usually visit at least once a month anyway
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 02-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,835 Times in 2,362 Posts

What no report on the Kittery Trading Post? Ah for the days of going out to Jim Austin's lovely cherry panelled old barn at Kittery Point!!
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

No, I didn't have the time to get "down" there! But as you know, it's ALWAYS a great stop......................
Unread 02-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Steve, where did you stop for lunch?

A few weeks ago Kathy and I stopped for lunch at the Cape Neddick Lobster Pound and were very pleasantly surprised at the fare there. Prices reflect those of a nice seafood restaurant on the Maine coast but it was well worth the side trip and we were one of only four couples in the place. Right on the Cape Neddick River with flocks of mallards and blacks swimming and flying right by the big panoramic windows.

I've handled the DHE 20 at Cabela's - a very nice Parker indeed.

I surely miss Jim Austin's place too. I was only there twice but spent some quality time with some of his fine SXS guns.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

I haven't seen Jim in several years. I assume he is still buying and selling.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

I think Jim is "off the radar" so to speak.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

I had lunch at Jameson Tavern which is righ next to Beans. Been there a long time and has great burgers in the bar I have also eaten at the Cape Neddick Lobster Pound, it does have fine food and a great view. In the summer though the best place for lobster and steamers is the Ogunquit Lobster Pound on Route #1 in, of course, Ogunquit. You pick your lobster out of the outdoor tank, along with a bag of clams, get seated either indoors or outside and enjoy your favorite libation while everything cooks. When the lobsters come to the table they are split in half for "easy pickens"
Unread 02-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Ayuh, the jokes about Ogunquit that come to mind.....
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Ok Pete, this is a family show
Unread 02-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #10
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Must be cabin fever time. We took a ride up to Kittery, and pre-arranged with friends in Union ME to meet us. The trading post has the same Parkers they had last September; I went to pick up a pre-1898 Winchester. Unless you haven't eaten in days, there is no proper eating place on Rt 1, in Kittery. 5 minutes into Portsmouth and you have your choice of dozens. We chose Jumpin Jay's Fish Cafe, at the top of Congress across from the public parking lot. Then back to KTP to see if the NICS paperwork ever went thru. Seriously, can't they hire some people?
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote