Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New Member w/Parker Damascus
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
David Macaleer
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New Member w/Parker Damascus

Howdy from SE PA. I just purchased a Parker hammerless damascus 10 ga in good shape. I want to use it to hunt geese. Before dropping it off by the local restoration shop today I recorded the following info: frame size = 2, barrel weight = 5-1 (the one is small and up from the 5 akin to an exponent), grade = 2 (GH right?), choked F/F.

The gunsmith says it's in great shape with plenty of original finish left. He will disassemble, clean and ensure it is properly operable and generally safe to shoot. Pls spare me the diatribe about shooting damascus barrels.

Heres the kicker - SN = 57404. Was this thing REALLY made in 1889 per the SN utility on the PGCA website?????? I intend to get a factory letter shortly.

Thanx, Dave
David Macaleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Macaleer View Post
. Pls spare me the diatribe about shooting damascus barrels.

Thanx, Dave
Your spared I shoot a lot of damascuss guns both hammer guns and hammerless. Your gun could have been from the late 1800's and that isn't unusual. Why would you question the date of mfg? i shoot a 16ga hammergun with a 13K serial number which puts it at 1879.

Enjoy your Parker, take care of it, shoot low pressure shells and it will last for the next generation.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Quote:
Pls spare me the diatribe about shooting damascus barrels.

Thanx, Dave

I don't think I have ever read any such diatribe on this forum.

The vast majority of PGCA Members who own guns with Damascus barrels (which have been fired previously and which have uncompromised barrels) do indeed shoot them often.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Quote:
Pls spare me the diatribe about shooting damascus barrels.

Heres the kicker - SN = 57404. Was this thing REALLY made in 1889 per the SN utility on the PGCA website?????? I intend to get a factory letter shortly.

Thanx, Dave
odd way to say hi

you are a couple thousands after the one I hunted with last week.
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,095 Times in 388 Posts

I hunted dove last month with a damascus barreled 12ga dollar grade lifter action, serial 3402 made in 1874. I used RST 2 1/2" 1 oz MaxiLites. I used the lite loads to protect the stock, not the damascus barrels.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dave,
No offense meant but from my limited time here on the PGCA forum I have found it seems MOST of us shoot Damascus barrels of one type or another, Damascus, Twist, Laminated or some other type. I promise as do the others who have written before me that everyone here will spare you the diatribe about Damascus barrels.

I agree with OH Osthaus. You have an odd way of saying, hi.

Welcome aboard the forums. Possibly you can learn from some of these people who are true experts in the field of Parker Brothers shotguns.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Yes, the barrel weight is stamped with pounds in larger font, with ounces in smaller font, above.

Lots of 10 bore GH owners here. Are your barrels D3 or D4?

I have 3 Pre-1880 HOLY CRAP YOU'LL BLOW THAT THING UP guns and shoot them all the time. What do you mean by 'diatribe' ? Have you spent anytime reading the many hundred past posts on this forum?

I freely admit I am wrong in believing no one in SE PA says "Howdy". Howdy back atcha.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Just in from hunting Pheasants. Went out to the Haymarsh for a couple of hours just to see what we might find. My first shot with the adopted GHE 16 with Damascuss bbl (Sunday it was a Dh Damascuss 16 as well) brought down a nice Rooster. Three birds today on a short mornings hunt.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,835 Times in 2,362 Posts

Technically, a Quality 2 hammerless 10-gauge of the 1889 vintage would be an EH-Grade. The 10-gauges cost $5 more in the Quality 1 and 2 guns than the 12-gauge and smaller gauges up into the early 1900s.

Do keep in mind that the factory loaded 10-gauge shells, when your gun was built, maxed out at about 4 1/2 drams of black powder pushing 1 1/4 ounces of shot. Also, 10-gauge shells came in lengths from 2 5/8 inch to 3 1/4 inch. Actually "factory loaded" shells were scarce and most shooters loaded their own in brass cases or got them from local loaders. A couple of years later, factory loaded smokeless powder shells began appearing and the heaviest 10-gauge loads were 4 1/4 drams of bulk smokeless powder pushing 1 1/4 ounces of shot.

The high velocity progressive burning smokeless powder 10-gauge loads of 4 3/4 drams equiv. pushing 1 5/8 ounce of shot didn't come along until the mid-1920s.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
David Macaleer
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanx for the warm welcome folks. I appreciate the reassurances about owning & shooting a damascus barrel gun. While I'm not sure I read any of the negative diatribes about shooting dam barrels on this site, my request to spare me from the diatribes was a defensive mechanism due to the widespread mis-information still prevalent in the ether. Obviously I'm amongst friends here!

Already I'm receiving great info from friendly people who know a lot more than I do about Parkers. I'm going to wait to respond to a couple of your questions as the gun is at the gunsmith and not in hand. Having it back and getting his full report with all the vital statistics will allow me to respond better (and accurately).

I am especially curious about the chamber size. I didn't want to assume it has 2-7/8 chambers as the chambers on some vintage guns can be tricky to measure. Especially as I will need to handload shells. Many thanx to the gentleman with the John Wayne avatar for the shorty 10 spreadsheet. Way cool. A bunch of food for thought!

I look forward to corresponding with all of you in the future!

Dave
David Macaleer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Macaleer For Your Post: