Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 07-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #51
Bill Anderson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here is just one of the many hunting situations I've encountered that made this electric UTV shine for me... this spring I was hunting wild turkey on a 150 acre farm that I did not have a lot of time to scout. A couple turkeys gobbled, close to sunrise that morning, but I found myself at the wrong end of the farm and several hundred yards away, with only 10 or 15 minutes of "gray light" left until it would be too late to move at all. I jumped back on the Bad Boy and sped toward the gobbling birds through the hay fields, which I could hear gobbling as I raced toward them. I stopped about 150 yards from their estimated location, behind a small hill near a large pasture. Crawled to the top and stabbed a lone hen decoy in the ground and slid off to the side, hunkered down behind a small bush and tried to calm down. After waiting close to a half hour I started calling, very little and softly. Two gobblers immediately sounded off and the waiting game began. I gave one more soft call a few minutes later and they both came back with a loud gobble telling me they were much closer. I leveled off my Remington 1893 28 gauge and cocked the side lever. Both long beards stepped into view at 35 yards, I picked one out and the 28 did the rest. I may not have had an opportunity that morning, possibly, if I wasn't able to close the gap like I did.
Bill Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 07-23-2015, 10:51 PM   #52
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

bill what kind of load was you useing in that 28 ga...and can you tell us about that remington 1893 28 ga is this gun a single barrel a double or what donot think i ve ever seen one of these guns...and i also see how the silent 4 wheeler pays off...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2015, 11:30 PM   #53
Bill Anderson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
bill what kind of load was you useing in that 28 ga...and can you tell us about that remington 1893 28 ga is this gun a single barrel a double or what donot think i ve ever seen one of these guns...and i also see how the silent 4 wheeler pays off...charlie
Hi Charlie,

I use Winchester high brass 1 oz of #6 out of this tight choked Remington single barrel. Patterns well out to 45 yards. This 1893 is a B grade with solid rib, double ivory beads and checkered stock and forearm. It is the only B grade and only 28 gauge 1893 I have ever run across in 30 years or so of searching. What a blast to hunt with!

Bill
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 07-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #54
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill That is neat. My neighbor has an electric Club Car. He sneaks up on me on a clear day it is so quiet.
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gerald McPherson For Your Post:
Unread 07-24-2015, 07:50 PM   #55
Bill Anderson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald McPherson View Post
Bill That is neat. My neighbor has an electric Club Car. He sneaks up on me on a clear day it is so quiet.
Hi Gerald,

Yes, not everyone needs a trail ready Bad Boy. If you hunt on fairly dry farm land with just rolling hills, fields and pastures, a raised golf cart is fine or an electric utuilty grounds vehicle like the ones used on golf courses with a cargo bed on the back. I used a raised golf cart for four years, that did me well, and only cost $3000, like new. They are for sale everywhere, especially in the fall. Four wheel drive is rarely needed in a hunting vehicle, unless you drive in a swampy or snowy hunting terrain. Just buy something QUIET and you will have the right hunting vehicle

Bill