Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

LC Smith Rotary Joint Check Removal
Unread 03-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,742 Times in 1,257 Posts

Default LC Smith Rotary Joint Check Removal

I have a 1927 Smith that has a rotary joint check mechanisim that among other things controls the extractor. There's a spring inside this rotary joint check that is broken. I need to remove this rotary device in order to get at the spring and replace it. The extractor comes out easy enough with the removal of one set screw.

Pictures of this rotary joint check are attached. I need some experienced advice from any 'smithys' out there on how to remove this rotary joint check to get at the spring.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1202.jpg (487.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1200.jpg (492.1 KB, 3 views)
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
Jawjadawg
Forum Associate

Member Info

Allen, you can also post this question on the LCSmith.org forum without having to register. I can almost guarantee someone over there will provide you a quality answer. You'll probably get one here, too. There are a few people who crossover between forums, but there are also a few Elsie loyalists who would fear being caught on this forum. You can even use a made-up name over there if you don't want the Parker people to know you've been conversing with the enemy so close to the PGCA/LCSCA shootout.
will evans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to will evans For Your Post:
Unread 03-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Will, message posted on the LC Smith forum. I will wait for the 'incoming'. (won't be the first time I've received 'incoming rounds'.) Thanks for your suggestion. By the way, I sent off the frame w/stock to this gun to Jerry in W Va. for his quick fix on the safety. He's going to replace a few worn parts to make the 'safe' very safe and he'll eliminate the 3 position feature and make the safety stricky 2 position. This will make it much safer to shoot, especially downstream when my grand kids inherit this gun and may not have a clue about the 3 position feature (which was meant for competitive shooting mainly) and in keeping with most shotgun safetys today. Less confusing.
Unread 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Jawjadawg
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen newell View Post
Will, message posted on the LC Smith forum. I will wait for the 'incoming'. (won't be the first time I've received 'incoming rounds'.) Thanks for your suggestion. By the way, I sent off the frame w/stock to this gun to Jerry in W Va. for his quick fix on the safety. He's going to replace a few worn parts to make the 'safe' very safe and he'll eliminate the 3 position feature and make the safety stricky 2 position. This will make it much safer to shoot, especially downstream when my grand kids inherit this gun and may not have a clue about the 3 position feature (which was meant for competitive shooting mainly) and in keeping with most shotgun safetys today. Less confusing.
I've never thought about someone down the line shooting themselves or someone else because of that 3 position safety, but you make a valid point to consider. I personally prefer an automatic safety for that very reason, but I've read about other people having their automatic safeties disabled, which just makes me cringe. Seems like if I'd want to retain my auto safety then why not also disable the bottom position on my 3 position safeties.
will evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Hi Will, if 3 position safeties were common place on shotguns today then I'd have no problem leaving the 3 safety positions on this LC Smith as they are. But 3 position safeties are not common today and we're in today's world. Since they're the exceptiuon and not the rule, I don't want to take the chance that anyone down the line is going to be familiar with this feature. I rather think they would not realize the gun has a position safety and would just assume that the lowest position is SAFE when actually the dam gun will FIRE! Jerry saiud it's no problem to disable this and convert it to a 2 position safety gun. NOW I KNOW WHY I LIKE SHOOTING PARKERS!
Unread 03-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
Jawjadawg
Forum Associate

Member Info

Allen, Jerry can also glasbed the stock for you while he has it. It will reinforce the wood to help protect it from splitting behind the sideplates. Well worth the expense, and you will recoup the money if you decide to sell the gun down the line. I would also add that you are probably paying some sort of minimum for the work he is doing, so the actual additional expense for this work will not be that much. This is a highly recommended improvement for any LC Smith which is still in use.
Unread 03-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Will, I gave Jerry the go-ahead to glas bed the Smith if it hasn't already been done by the previous owner. I've not taken the stock off the frame since buying it so I don't know.