Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

"V3" coded B grade
Unread 08-27-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
Nick de Guerre
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default "V3" coded B grade

Hi All,

I have my black belt in Lefever, but am only a white belt at Parker. I'm looking for a little knowledge.

There's a B grade out there for sale on the interwebs that I'm a little perplexed by. I'm not 'in the market,' per se, just trying to understand.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/classifi...995134080.aspx

What stood out to me straight away was Vulcan Steel barrels, which I wouldn't expect on the B grade. The serial number is listed in the Parker ID book, which says it's code V3, "Probably grade 3 (D grade) with Vulcan Steel barrels."

Below this entry are two others for similarly finished guns, "V4" being grade 4 (C grade), and "VB" being a similarly finished grade 5 (B grade). Both, also with Vulcan Steel barrels.

So given it indicates that at least Vulcan barrels WERE put on at least SOME B grades...and further that these codes all begin with "probably"...

...what are your feelings about the legitimacy of this gun?

I should add, the serial number is within the known serial range listed with code V3 details. If I've missed something obvious, please forgive me...again, merely a white belt.

- NDG
Nick de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,359 Times in 4,428 Posts

Those are almost certainly replacement barrels
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,616 Times in 2,667 Posts

On matter Lefever, I reach for the Elliott book.

On matters Parker, I reach for The Parker Story. That will tell you when Vulcan barrels were first made.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I really like the super long, almost full coverage forend checkering. It's not original finish anywhere on it but it's very cool gun that I'd admit to owning if it were mine!!
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,889 Times in 4,765 Posts

Without looking at the ad, I would guess it is one of the FIRST black barrel (Vulcan) guns that were B and D grades. Totally original. Look in the SB. By the way, Albright had this gun offered several years ago and have a reputation of leaving sold or taken back consignment guns on their site for many moons. Call them and see whether this gun is still available. I would think this is an old ad. Years ago, I looked at the gun and was intrigued, but did not order a letter on it and a $40 letter would be way out of the realm of possibility for Albright's to sell a $9000 gun.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2018, 12:32 PM   #6
Nick de Guerre
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill,

This listing was in my daily GunsAmerica "new listings" email as of a few days ago.

So, your opinion would be contrary to what Mills suggested above? That they are replacement barrels?

I'm not stirring the pot...just cavassing for learned opinions.

Mills,

Could you share why you think the barrels aren't original?

- NDG

ps I'm not certain what members think of someone posting a serial number of a gun they don't own, which I why I just put up the listing link and described the gun, rather than giving the number. But it's clearly in the pictures for anyone who wants to reconfirm what I cross-referenced in the ID book with any other source.
Unread 08-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,359 Times in 4,428 Posts

There are surviving records on your gun for a research letter and that should answer the question. That is what I would do
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #8
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Wonder who did the restoration? Its as nice as I've seen, especially the mullered borders on the forend, the aged Hawkins pad, and the receiver case colors. I need another 30 inch 12 bore like I need a hole in the head.
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
Nick de Guerre
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mike Poindexter,

Respectfully, to me, if this gun was ever restored, it was done a long time ago. I've seen some very good "light touch" restos of guns, meant to look as though they were original, and haven't seen one THIS good. The Hawkins pad isn't right, but the barrels are faded, and the checkering looks properly worn...if lightly used.

Again, I'm no expert with Parkers. But I have seen and owned some restos. I would be surprised and humbled if a majority of collectors agreed this gun was restored.

My two chief questions were: (1) Is the spot on the rib just ahead of the extension a fill where a bead was once bizarrely positioned, and (2) was the gun a "legit" D grade that was upgraded to B purely with engraving enhancement.

The first question I still can't decide on, because it's a little off center, and looks like it could have been a spot where the barrels just got dinged with a peen-style mark. The second question to me seems unlikely, as the engraving style seems fluid throughout, and everything about the gun seems appropriately "aged" to me.

But my real interest was simply to get the crowd's idea of whether this gun seemed legit as originally done, irrespective of whether it was restored in any way.

Further thoughts anyone? It was suggested that Vulcan steel wasn't yet introduced in 1895. Is this true? Or was it just not yet introduced on VH's? Given it's a unique work order code, perhaps as Bill M. suggested it's just a super early Vulcan gun?

- NDG

Last edited by Nick de Guerre; 08-27-2018 at 01:39 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick de Guerre For Your Post:
Unread 08-27-2018, 01:45 PM   #10
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,948 Times in 1,437 Posts

I agree with Bill. I would veture to guess that this is one if not the first B grade made with Vulcan barrels. I own SN 82226 ( 7 sn from this B) my Parker is a D grade which was part of a dozen Parkers that originally came with Vulcan barrels. If I recall there was one or two B grades with Vulcan barrels made at this time.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post: