Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 10-20-2018, 09:21 PM   #51
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

pictures right out of a storey book....great reading and pictures...thanks fellas....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2018, 12:54 AM   #52
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Our second, and last, week is winding down and for us this has been a good trip with generally lots of birds flushed and some decent work from our dogs. The weather provided almost everything, but was basically cool enough to be comfortable while walking hard, and damp enough for scenting conditions to be good for the dogs. Throughout the trip we've found what I've concluded are broods from a late hatch, frequently flushing multiple birds from finds. The birds we've killed have been very young ones for the most part. Our best day, this past Tuesday, produced 42 flushes.

This current week has been one of firsts. My first grouse taken over a point by our pup, Aspen, who improved with every outing (but is still very much a puppy). That first bird for Aspen, which he brought to hand, was also the first shot fired from my new-to-me DH 16 (straight/splinter, two triggers -- the way I like them). This gun fits me well and shoots high, made for rising birds. It's about 1 3/4 lbs. heavier than my Dickson 28, but was still a joy to carry. Made in 1904, I can't help but think that it's original purchaser would have been a kindred spirit.

We also were able to meet PGCA member Jeff Christie and his hunting buddy, Darren, both from northern Iowa. Jeff showed me one of his Parkers, a family owned gun originally purchased in a small Iowa town just a stone's throw from where we live now. Quite the treasure for obvious reasons. We enjoyed meeting Jeff and Darren.

Elaine and I have logged over 80 miles so far with three days of our trip remaining. We are tired, but content, as are the dogs (who logged about 3-5 miles for each of ours). I hate to see the trip end, but will look forward to next year with optimism and anticipation. In our family, there's October in Minnesota, and waiting for October in Minnesota.

Photos:
1. What a treat to take Aspen's first pointed bird with the first shot fired with this old Parker. Almost as good as winning the Billion Dollar Lottery...almost.

2. PGCA member Jeff Christie, his hunting buddy Darren, Elaine and I were able to meet for lunch. One of the highlights of my trip.

3. I have a reverence for trees, especially ones like these that, for whatever reason missed getting cut back in the day. We run upon these virgin pines every now and then, and not far from where we stay is the "Lost Forty," a 40 acre patch of virgin pines that, through a clerical error, was never cut. It's a trip back in time to walk among these giants.

4. Yes, sunset photos are a cliche, but for me, every one is different, especially when it comes after a long day with Elaine and the dogs doing something we love so much. (Note: We stopped no traffic in taking this photo from the center of the road...the benefit of being in the middle of the northwoods.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4889.jpg (526.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1119 2.jpg (307.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1120.jpg (444.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4926.jpg (204.3 KB, 0 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #53
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Here's a postscript to our hunt. We are now home after one of the best October hunts we've had in years.

Jeff promised to send me a picture of the Black Duck of Black Duck, and true to his word, he did. A real pleasure to meet another Parker man.

I'm still hoping that another Northwoods hunter will post a report or photo to help ease the pain of another October gone.

On to the quail cover of Missouri!

Photos:

1. The Black Duck of Black Duck (Thanks, Jeff!!)

2. Cedar in Cabin #6...I assume dreaming of grouse, the Northwoods, and next October.

3. An October sky, something to remember until next year. There are far too few Octobers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (440.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1123 2.jpg (251.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3789.jpg (515.4 KB, 0 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 11-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #54
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

I have been swamped at work, and physically beat up since my return from 2 weeks in the UP. It was a great trip, with a few snafu's. I had better weather than those of you who headed north early in Oct., but still was a little wet.
My main goal was to get my 2 female 15 mo old setters, Willie and Doodle into birds. Goal Accomplished!! I took up 2 greenhorn pups and brought back 2 birddogs. It took the first week to really get them going, but oh my, when the light went on in their pretty little heads, they took off exponentially. I could rely on getting several shots each day over their solid points--they could not rely on me making those shots, however enough were made to make them happy. This was all on grouse, as the woodcock had pretty much departed. Besides finding birds, they will now automatically Back each other, or my other dogs, they also are nicely retrieving, and did a good job of finding "dead" birds that did not cleanly drop. The old reliable veterans Betty and Fancy did there usual good jobs as expected. Betty at 14 still amazes me with her grit and determination--she cant hear, but nothing wrong with her full choke nose.
I mostly used my little VHE 20. A beat up little gun whose original 28" tubes were cut to 26.5, no finish left on this gun, but so comfortable to carry and shoot. A little German 16 hammer( 5 lbs 13 oz) with 30" cyl/F was the only other gun used.
I had fish dinner one Friday night with Rich Anderson, at the Ace of Clubs bar in Sagola, and got to see Kenny Graft also.
I hunt long and hard, and into the second week knew something just wasnt right. I used to run marathons for Sh*ts and giggles, and now felt like I was at high altitude and couldnt get enough oxygen, and my chest was aching.
Basically developed a walking pneumonia, and left one day early to come home. Not to worry, I am back to my old self, and ready to head off to Kansas after pheasant and quail. Well, enough of my drivel, I will post a few pics each day of the trip. Hope you enjoy!
Willie's first grouse culminating a retrieve to hand.
Doodle's first grouse also retrieved.
Willie looks like a magazine cover on point--hard to take pics when a young dog is pointing like that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UP 2018 072.jpg (526.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg UP 2018 077.jpg (577.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg UP 2018 087.jpg (600.4 KB, 0 views)
Unread 11-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #55
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Betty and Fancy--dont know if they really like me, or just want the treats in my pocket.
Betty wit th only woodcock I shot at on the trip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UP 2018 035.jpg (510.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg UP 2018 024.jpg (555.5 KB, 0 views)
Unread 11-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #56
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

My friend Terry, going in over one of Fancy's points. When not hunting birds with me, or persuing monster whitetails, he may be your pilot when you fly United Airlines.
The view from the living room Of camp.
Terry shoots an old Berretta BL4 20 ga, that was his high school grad present.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UP 2018 052.jpg (595.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg UP 2018 028.jpg (521.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg UP 2018 059.jpg (514.8 KB, 2 views)
Unread 11-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #57
birddogdoc
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,527 Times in 267 Posts

Harold...sounds like an awesome trip minus the crud! Glad you're back to normal. Love it when a pup turns the lights on!
The Following User Says Thank You to Shawn Wayment For Your Post:
Visit Shawn Wayment's homepage!
Unread 11-09-2018, 05:36 PM   #58
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,100 Times in 673 Posts

Yep, for me the best time in a dog's life is when the light bulb comes on for a pup. It sure is an exhilarating time for me and I think for the dog as well.

Good to hear your trip went reasonably well.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #59
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Hey, Harold,

Glad to see your posts and the wonderful pictures. Sorry about the health issue you experienced, but it sounds as if your trip was a great success otherwise. To have your pups into wild birds is like a booster shot of experience for them. I sure enjoyed your pictures. Those are beautiful dogs.

It's snowing and the temperatures are dropping quickly here in Northern Missouri. We'll pause from quail hunting for the deer opener tomorrow, but will head to Iowa for some bird hunting next week.

I think you should encounter cooler weather in Kansas over the next few weeks. I hope you'll post more news of that hunt also.

Did you get to hunt over Kenny's Gordon? I've corresponded with him several times and have seen pictures of her (Miss Ruby as I recall).

Good luck with your future hunts!
Unread 11-09-2018, 06:40 PM   #60
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,388 Times in 595 Posts

Harold i look forward to everyone's hunting posts but none as much as yours. Great dogs and photos, thank you and good luck in Kansas.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post: