Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 04-30-2021, 02:19 PM   #11
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

Cheerios have always worked fine for me, 1 before I drop the shot, or if I forget, drop it on top of the shot, either way worked fine for me. As a bonus my setters will gather around as I reload and toss Cheerios out to them.
What gauges are you reloading, just 12?
Unread 04-30-2021, 03:02 PM   #12
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,469 Times in 971 Posts

I never thought of the doggie benefits Harold : ) I'm loading 12 and 20, a 28 press is on the way. This is mostly 12 for clays in my C. Guerini. I have yet to grab a short kit for my VH to load for that. I have a MEC 600jr that is new, but just bought a Grabber for CHEAP from a guy who no longer uses it (he got a PW). My novice take is that Rio hulls suck. The RST and Nitro's just seem much easier to use. I have a whole pile of used 2 1/2" RST hulls I'm waiting to use when I can get wads and such. I have enough to keep me busy and learning but now that trout and turkey seasons are here it's tougher to fit it all in (oh..and work...).
Unread 04-30-2021, 03:14 PM   #13
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

Andy, next time you are here you can hull whore on the cvourse all you want. Take them all, I don't care! I can also give you a lesson on reloading. You have much to learn Grasshopper.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 04-30-2021, 05:07 PM   #14
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

Andy, I have a VH, VHE, and PH 20--all with fluid steel barrels. I dont bother to load 2 1/2" for them. I either shoot factory 2 3/4" 7/8 oz game loads, or my 3/4 oz reloads thru them. Claybuster 1075 for 3/4, and Claybuster 1078 for 7/8 oz , are much cheaper and available then some of the other wads, plus made in the USA. I have also used them in 2 1/2" cheddite/RST 20's that I shoot in my Belgian damascus 20. 3/4 oz loads are just sweet in a 20 ga, and I never hesitate to use them on grouse and woodcock. I've been looking for a 28 ga Mec 600 .
Unread 04-30-2021, 05:46 PM   #15
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Andy, next time you are here you can hull whore on the cvourse all you want. Take them all, I don't care! I can also give you a lesson on reloading. You have much to learn Grasshopper.
Mike I may be down tomorrow. Gia got her first "clays" gun, a 24" Savage 555 28g O/U. At 12 she wants to bust clays and I love it. Yes Mike, I have a lot to learn. If I'm grasshopper are you the blind old dude (Master Po) wearing the smock? My favorite show growing up : )
Unread 05-01-2021, 03:29 PM   #16
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
Andy, I have a VH, VHE, and PH 20--all with fluid steel barrels. I dont bother to load 2 1/2" for them. I either shoot factory 2 3/4" 7/8 oz game loads, or my 3/4 oz reloads thru them. Claybuster 1075 for 3/4, and Claybuster 1078 for 7/8 oz , are much cheaper and available then some of the other wads, plus made in the USA .
I’ll second that I’ve got a pair of VHE and a DHE all 20’s all fluid steel and all get 2 3/4” shells . 7/8 ounce handloads or factory . Also used some 1 ounce factory for pheasents a year or two ago .
Unread 05-01-2021, 05:07 PM   #17
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Craig and Harold, I think I'm sticking with that, so much easier.
Unread 05-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #18
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

I shoot about 2700 20's a year. I use only one brand of hulls and have enough to last a year. I load the 2700 in the winter when things are slow and do not load again till the following year. My current run of hulls are all STS that I scrounged and they are on their 9th loading and ready to retire. So, over the last 9 years I have scrounged another 2700 STS hulls that I will load next year. It does not matter which hull you choose to accumulate although I feel the STS, Gun Club, and AA are the best. Gun Clubs are generally the easiest to find.

The point here is to simplify your reloading life by using one hull, finding a load that suits, buy the components in bulk to save few bucks. Same load and components all the time.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 05-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #19
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

Gary,
All I load are STS and Gold Nitros all in 12 ga. Some I have loaded as many as 20 times. As long as they crimp they are good to go. When the folds start to crack and they get charcoal looking then I discard them.
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2021, 09:35 PM   #20
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch View Post
I shoot about 2700 20's a year. I use only one brand of hulls and have enough to last a year. I load the 2700 in the winter when things are slow and do not load again till the following year. My current run of hulls are all STS that I scrounged and they are on their 9th loading and ready to retire. So, over the last 9 years I have scrounged another 2700 STS hulls that I will load next year. It does not matter which hull you choose to accumulate although I feel the STS, Gun Club, and AA are the best. Gun Clubs are generally the easiest to find.

The point here is to simplify your reloading life by using one hull, finding a load that suits, buy the components in bulk to save few bucks. Same load and components all the time.
In the 20 I’ve had good luck with the STS and AA’s and I’ll run them thru one after the other same components etc .