Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Twoatlow8
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think even today, you could shoot a 16 gauge in an All Bore (12 gauge)event as long as you were not shooting more that 1 1/8 oz Shot.
Scott Janowski is offline   Reply With Quote
16 gauge skeet over/unders?
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Default 16 gauge skeet over/unders?

Scott
That is a great factoid.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

Sixteen gauge was never disinvited. There is no time in NSSA history that the sixteen could not be shot. In the five class system, the 1 ounce class was inclusive of the sixteen, but heavily loaded twenties could shoot also. The twelve was unofficially eliminated from that class because no factory one ounce twelve gauge loads were listed in the "shell list". When the "Twenty Gauge" class was created, all 16 gauge shooters were in All Gauge because of the nomenclature of the "Twenty Gauge" class. Today, the sixteen will shoot with the twelve gauges regardless of shot load because no gun larger than a twenty can compete in the twenty gauge class, just as it has been since 1937 or maybe earlier. Remember, we have no rule books from 1935 and 1936. Shaughnessy's national championship was won in 1936, but we don't know what rules made him compete in the All Gauge category.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Very interesting Bill. All this time I have been laboring under the misconception that the 16 had been eliminated from official competetion. Thanks for the information.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

What I know about the 16 gauge:

They used to be quite popular, being lighter than 12s and still shot good patterns with and oz or 1 1/8 of shot.

I read that the magnum 20 was a heart shot for the 16, which was on shakey legs anyway. I had never shot a 16 until I shot mine and since then I've developed a liking for them, or if for no other reason that I like being different. (I still like girls tho.) In addition my two 16s are quite a lot lighter than a like model 12. A lot lighter.

I hear people are complaining when some one cuts loose with a magnum 20. I've never fired one, but I guess they crack similar to a .410. The report of a .410 bothers me. I also read that the mag 20 shoots a long, ragged shot stream that does not pattern well. We also know that for standard range shooting more muzzle velocity doesn't make much diff when it comes to killing birds. So why the mag 20? I hear of very few hunters are using them. Is that so? They, and I, shoot the standard length 20 gauge shell.

I think that when magnum mania hit the rifle world it trickled over to the shotgun folks, thus the 3" magnums. I have never shot them in any gauge, even if shooting at ducks. I'm a 2 3/4 shell guy even with steel. If I ever shoot steel through my new Wingmaster 20 I'll probably shoot a 3" steel shell....if I decide to go duck hunting with a 20.

If the mag 20 is falling from favor then the 16 IMHO just might come roaring back. I hope so.

People have a harkening for the past. If they made a new Model A, I'd buy one, even without seat belts. Doesn't putt putting around in a Model A sound like fun? For the same reason, folks might harken after the 16. It would give us all another reason to buy a new gun. If they made a new strong damascus gun in 16 I'd buy one of those too.

If Connecticut Arms made a new damascus tube don't you think it'd sell like hotcakes? NOTHING shotgun IMO is more beautiful than a damascus barrel. I'd love to fit one into my 97.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote