Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Researching a V Grade w/Vickers steel barrels
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
The Salty Range Rat
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Researching a V Grade w/Vickers steel barrels

Hello Good People,

I am looking at a Parker Brothers V Grade 12 gauge with serial number 68912. From the information available to me this Parker was made in 1891. I think this is a O frame with the barrels replaced. This Parker now has Vickers Steel barrels. I am not sure when this was done or by who. I did see a #3 stamp that might indicate the barrels were sent to Remington for service. Is it possible that Remington would have installed the Vickers barrels? There is also a T stamp that might indicate this service was either done in 1970 or 1999. The bores are very shinny with no damage.

The wood has either been replaced or re furbished I can not tell the difference. The case colors have been re done as well. Tomorrow morning I hope to get another look at the markings now that I have visited this site.

With all of the changes I do not think this Parker is worth much. My hope is that it is a shooter and will perform well during sporting clays and 5 stand. I would love to be able to participate in some of the Vintage events.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. I am looking for guidance.
Archie Sturdivant III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Archie, The gun in question is not a V grade gun. Vulcan grade guns started around serial number 88600 or so. Most likely this gun is a grade 1,2 or 3 that was built as a damascus barreled gun and had the Vickers barrels fitted later. Get us some good quality pictures and we can tell you what you have.If the 3 stamp is on the water table that would indicate a grade 3 or D grade gun.
Unread 06-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
The Salty Range Rat
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
Archie, The gun in question is not a V grade gun. Vulcan grade guns started around serial number 88600 or so. Most likely this gun is a grade 1,2 or 3 that was built as a damascus barreled gun and had the Vickers barrels fitted later. Get us some good quality pictures and we can tell you what you have.If the 3 stamp is on the water table that would indicate a grade 3 or D grade gun.
Thank you for your quick reply. I will visit the shop first thing in the morning for some pictures. This could get interesting.

If everything is in working order I will still purchase the gun. As a shooting friend of mine often says, " It spoke to me".
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,835 Times in 2,362 Posts

The Vickers barrels have nothing to do with Parker Bros. or Remington Arms Co., Inc. The Vickers barrels were sold by Atlas Arms Inc. of Chicago in the 1960s --

Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
The Salty Range Rat
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you for the good information Researcher. Every little bit helps.

Actually this bit of information is huge.

You guys are great.
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,539 Times in 4,621 Posts

I always like coming across other Parkers with Vickers barrels. I own a P grade with Vickers barrels. I know that Ed Good here has one too. And I saw a 20g. on GB not long ago that had them as well.

Mine are 12g.
Tops of both barrel tubes are marked E.S.C. Gia' Vickers & C.
The flats are just marked "Crown" over NITRO with 2-3/4" stamped next to that.
The bottoms of the barrel tubes are both stamped 18,3 and 17,2 (the second number is 17,6 on the other tube).
They are 26" long and both tubes choked I/M

The fit of my barrels are good except for the dolls head sits a bit low compared to the frame.

I can see replacement barrels being done for guns like mine years ago since the barrels on a P grade would have been twist. But the V grade you are looking at would have been fluid steel. Unless the Vickers were an extra set and now the originals are lost or maybe they got damaged.

Of course, the value of the V grade you are looking at is relegated to a shooter. The value of the buy as a shooter is completely dependant on the price.
Unread 06-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 602 Posts

Archie,I have nothing different to offer about the gun value ,the boy's passed along good info....but I would like to know what that fish is,you're holding up in your avatar.

All the best ,and welcome !
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
The Salty Range Rat
Forum Associate

Member Info

That is some sort of nasty saltwater eel caught off of the coast of northern NJ. They were all over the bottom. They would put up a good fight but were all returned to the sea.
Unread 06-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
The Salty Range Rat
Forum Associate

Member Info

Pictures are in my album. Please advise.
Unread 06-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,539 Times in 4,621 Posts

Thanks a lot for posting the album of pictures. What you are looking at there is a P grade. Not a V grade. It is an earlier gun that would have originally had twist barrels. And the Fishtail top lever was not uncommon on these guns.
The receiver has cyanide type case colors. Much like how Delgreco would restore them.
The barrels are not Vickers made like the ones that I have on my P grade. They are original Parker Damascus barrels that have been cut off at the monoblock and then sleeved with new Vickers tubes.
The grade and guages markings on the sides of the locking lug are indicitive of later Remington made Parkers.
This gun has a LOT of extra stampings and markings. Many look like proof and identification marks from when the barrels were sleeved.
What is the asking price on the gun? If all is functional and the price is under $1,500 I would say that it is a diecent buy for a shooter.