Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 03-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #31
Jack Hamner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Purnell View Post
First, bore is measured in inches. 18 millimeters is .709 inch. I don't know what that means, except it's probably smaller than a 12ga gun. Accurate bore and chamber dimensions will have to be taken with a gage that can measure in thousanths of an inch.
Thanks again, Dave. I was just using centimeters because they're easier to read on a ruler than trying to figure out hundredths or thousandths of an inch on the ruler. Obviously, the ruler is not an accurate enough measurement. I was just using what I had for a rough guesstimate until I can find something else. Thanks for all your help! Jack.
Jack Hamner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #32
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

Jack, Sounds like you have what is known as a 12b brass shell gun, a lot of early guns were chambered for them, and yes they made 13 gauge guns, 4 of them to be exact, as per the remaining records but several thousand numbers away from your gun, I have been looking for one for a loooong time, that will letter as such, I am a patient man, and eventually find one, Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #33
Jack Hamner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Purnell View Post
First, bore is measured in inches. 18 millimeters is .709 inch. I don't know what that means, except it's probably smaller than a 12ga gun. Accurate bore and chamber dimensions will have to be taken with a gage that can measure in thousanths of an inch.
Thanks, Dave--that's what it's going to take!
Unread 03-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #34
Jack Hamner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael Sr View Post
Jack, Sounds like you have what is known as a 12b brass shell gun, a lot of early guns were chambered for them, and yes they made 13 gauge guns, 4 of them to be exact, as per the remaining records but several thousand numbers away from your gun, I have been looking for one for a loooong time, that will letter as such, I am a patient man, and eventually find one, Gary
Thanks, Gary. Does that mean that a regular 12 gauge Winchester brass shell, would not go into the gun, as I mentioned in an earlier post?
I know it sounds goofy, but I sanded down a plastic piece until it passed easily into the shell chamber, but fit very snugly beyond that point. I then carefully pushed it through the barrel and extracted it . I took it to the local gun shop, and he got a measurement of .724" on an electronic caliper. What that means, I don't know because of many possible mistakes on my end, but if the figure is anywhere near accurate, it sounds more like a 12b than a 13. I'm just going to have to find someone with a bore gauge if that's the proper term.
Thanks so much for your input! Jack.
Unread 03-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #35
Jack Hamner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
According to Circle Fly, 13ga. is .710" Since I can't find any published dimensions for Chambers, I'd be more inclined to rely on the info that is published, i.e., Bore dimensions.
I applaud your enthusiasm, and know well what you mean by being impatient, but using dowels, sanded PVC pipes, etc, to attempt to find something that is measured in .001" is akin to using binoculars, when a microscope is called for.

Why don't you let us know where you live, and perhaps you might find a PGCA member close by who owns a Chubb, or similar bore gauge. I have one, and live in N.Central CT.
Thanks, Edgar. I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm cooped up here due to snow and cold and can't get out much. I guess the old cabin fever has struck
I live in Palmyra, Virginia, about 20 miles southeast of Charlottesville. There's a guy at Woodbrook Sports in Charlottesville who has a bore gauge, but everytime I stop by there, he's gone, and no one else knows where the gauge is!

P.S.--the pvc pipe test measured .724" on an electronic caliper, but probably not very accurate on my end of the measurement
Unread 03-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #36
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hamner View Post

P.S.--the pvc pipe test measured .724" on an electronic caliper, but probably not very accurate on my end of the measurement
Accounting for friction, and that you were able to push it through, it's sounding more like a 12 than a 13.
There are a lot of PGCA members in your neck of the woods.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #37
Jack Hamner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
Accounting for friction, and that you were able to push it through, it's sounding more like a 12 than a 13.
There are a lot of PGCA members in your neck of the woods.
Right--I think a "regular" 12 measures .729" or so.

P.S. If there are any PGCA members near me with a bore gauge, I will be happy to come to you--just reply to this thread or send me a PM and THANKS!!!

PPS-- I'm so confident in my methodology and measuring ability that once a bore gauge is employed, I'm willing to bet that my calculations are no more than an inch off! Just kidding!!!

Last edited by Jack Hamner; 03-04-2014 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: add info.
Unread 03-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #38
Jack Hamner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wow--you guys are awesome!!! I just noticed that the total number of replies is up to 36 (just a few of them mine) replies in just about two days! I am amazed at how all of you have stepped up to the plate to help a novice who at times must sound like a lunatic! Anyway, a BIG thanks to each and every one of you, and if you think of something else, keep 'em coming! Jack.
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #39
paul stafford jr
Forum Associate

Member Info

brownells sells bore gauges, buying one would solve this problem and you will be able to check other guns before you buy them.
paul stafford jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 01:27 AM   #40
Jack Hamner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul stafford jr View Post
brownells sells bore gauges, buying one would solve this problem and you will be able to check other guns before you buy them.
Thanks, Paul. I definitely am considering that, but I don't normally buy antique guns. I just happened to see this one in a pawn shop and it appealed to me. I doubt I will ever be buying another unknown gauge, but then again, who knows!
I appreciate your help!

Tags
0968, 13 gauge? uplifter, 1866