Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 12-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #31
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

There are only a very small number of gunsmiths in the US one would entrust an AAH Parker to for a restoration, a very small number. Don't worry about where they are. BTW, last year a very worn AAH was sold by a major dealer to a another dealer. The price listed on the gun was $10K. It was for sale for but a few days. I believe it brought that. While it did not have cut barrels, it did have a lot wrong with it. I suspect your gun would bring a similar amount, as is. If you do not have the resources to properly "restore" the gun just keep it clean and lightly oiled and stored in a dry spot (especially in a FL summer). Were it my gun, it would have a set of 30 inch "replacement" barrels on it within the week. Best of luck with it.
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #32
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Probably not in Florida. I can think of three such experts here in the Northeast and I hope they're still doing it when you are out of college and ready to take on the task financially.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #33
JLoew
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,143 Times in 830 Posts

Stephen,

Congrats on the wise decision to become a PGCA member. I hope you will find that shooting and owning a Parker shotgun is one of the great joys in your life. I'm 32 and have been a PGCA member since I was in college as well. Now I'm on the board of directors!

Best of luck with your gun. I am sure you have gotten several offers to buy it by now. It is really a treat to see such a high grade gun with workmanship like the one you have. It is a treasure.
Josh Loewensteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh Loewensteiner For Your Post:
Unread 12-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #34
Stephen Lyons
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have not had any offers, not many know about it anyways, just this forum and my local gun shop. And yes i hope the experts are still around too but i guess in some time i may be back on this forum asking who the experts are, in the meantime ill just enjoy it how it is. And "replacement barrels?" Why would i want to replace an original part? Anyhow should i trust my local shop when they said i can shoot it? And Chilled Shot where are they, as in the state? And also how much does it cost to replace the missing buttstock, the steel part? Thank you all for being so helpful!
Stephen Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #35
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Let me guess, your local gun shop offered you $500 or something for it. lol. I know of a few that might do such a thing.

As long as the bores are not in VERY bad shape by way of HEAVY pitting, and the ribs are not separated, shoot away. Try to stay away from shells over 3 dram equ. or buy some low pressure RST loads and you will be ready to go. Would not hurt to have a competant gunsmith look at the barrels if you do not know what to look for.

To check for loose top or bottom ribs, apart from looking at them... Hang the barrels off your finger and knock at them in a few places with your nuckle. You should get a nice "ring" tone out of them. That tells you that everything is tight and "One" piece. If it sounds like more of a dull clang, then you have a rib loose.

The witworth steel was Parkers highest quality steel offered and was imported from Europe. So they are by all means up to snuff to todays standards on even cheap guns. That is if they are in good condition.
Unread 12-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #36
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Am I correct in saying that this AAH was made before the first A-1 Special was made?? I do not have my reference material handy.

So, basically at the time of manufacture, this gun may have been the Finest that Parker had to offer.
Unread 12-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #37
Stephen Lyons
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think that is true, or at least someone said so, and the shop didnt even ask to buy it or offer anything. Probably because i said it was sentimental and they seem like good people. A gunsmith had looked at it, he is older and i asked him just to put some light oil on it and clean it a little. He didnt do much he said because he said it was a valuable gun and he didnt want to ruin its value or add a butt stock or anything. He knew it was special before i did.
Unread 12-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #38
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

What a great gun. It was a very expensive gun new and I'm glad some got their monies worth! IMHO, the only way to restore it is to bring it back to original factory condition. Anything else would probably be a waste of money, ie not increase it's value. That would be very expensive. Far more then the $5000 estimate. Based on what engraving are charging today, picking up the engraving on this gun would probably exceed $5000! Just keep it safe and do it right when you have the cash. Good luck.

Best, Ray
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray Masciarella For Your Post:
Unread 12-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #39
Stephen Lyons
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes I will do so, ill keep on this forum and maybe about four years from now ill put some before and after pictures, that would be nice. For now i think ill shoot it a little, too tempting not too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Lyons For Your Post:
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #40
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Stephen, one of them lives in Connecticut and the other in southeastern Massachusetts. They're getting along in years and may not be in the business in four years but who knows... maybe they will be. The tricky part that requires an expert is welding up the pitted and excessively worn areas and then reengraving them to look exactly as when it left the factory.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote