Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Interested in starting to reload
Unread 10-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,422 Times in 4,595 Posts

Default Interested in starting to reload

I have been thinking about maybe getting into reloading my own shells.
I would mostly be interested in reloading shells to cut down on my skeet shooting expense in the long run.

Wondering what type of shells are best for reloading?
If I were to buy them to shoot once and save them for when I start reloading.
Unread 10-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Brian, You will get alot of feedback here on this subject. But to start it off I like Remington hulls for my 12 gauge loads. Also I use the black Remington game load hull for 16 gauge. For 20 and 28 gauge I like to use Winchester hulls.

As far as reloading machines I use MEC exclusively. They can be found fairly inexpensively on EBay.
Unread 10-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,934 Times in 1,411 Posts

I can't speak for the smaller gauges but for the 12, the best hull to reload is the Remington STS/Nitro hulls. I don't reload the Remington Gun Club hulls but they are popular too and less expensive.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Brian, ditto what Dave and Chuck have said about the MEC and Remington STS hulls. When I first got into reloading I bought a case of Remington STS to shoot skeet and clays with and save the hulls. Due to the factory loaded pressures, I did not want to risk shooting them my other doubles except for my Ithaca NID that would handle it no problem.

You can find once fired shells on Gunbroker which I go to when my case mouths start to get crispy and get thrown out. Saves me time instead of scrounging in buckets. The green STS are pretty available. The gold Nitros are there too but they go quick. You can get 500 once fired for about $40. This way you can reload low pressure right of the bat and you can use any shotgun you want.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,422 Times in 4,595 Posts

Yeah, I primarily shoot 12g. I will keep an eye out for those or pic up a box to shoot here and there and start collecting hulls before I get a reloading machine. I am interested in reloading low pressure loads as well. I think that might be a better alternative to shooting RST loads. Are teh RST hulls good for reloading?
Unread 10-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #6
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

Never reloaded RST hulls but have heard great comments about their factory loads. Heck B. Dudley I'd say it's worth a try. I have learned you won't find a favorite until you try. Keep your pressures low and powder drops light and you will be fine.

I too work only with MEC reloaders and might add "look into the Super Sizer" for sizing your hulls.

As Dave said up top. You will get the best most honest info on this site and meet the best of the best in shotgun sports, life, and lessons, you will get info on Parker Doubles and new guns and the whole Shaaabangggg!!!!!! This is by far my favorite go to site for suggestions recommendations and just a nice time...
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Parrish For Your Post:
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

The Remington STS hulls are definitely the best place to start... and finish for that matter. They reload easily and crimp well. The plastic is more pliable than the Win AA hulls. I prefer STS over all others for 12ga target loads. For 20ga neither AA's or STS last more than a reload or two before splitting. Sometimes there is an issue with using winchester primers in STS hulls. They back out. You have to ream the primer holes with a tapered reamer. PITA. I think it mostly happens with 28ga hulls for some reason. Not sure it ever happens to me with 12ga.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

The hulls used by RST, Polywad and Gamebore are Cheddites. At least, they have the same 'star-number' headstamp. The Cheddite hulls come in many configurations from .410 to 12, including 24 and 32. There is a lot of data out there for them. Maybe someone here can vouch for them. Cheers!
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
Michael K. Burnley
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hello Brian, I pretty much agree with the rest of the guys. I reload Remington STS,Nitro 27 and Gun Club in the 12 and 20ga. I reload Winchester AA in the 28ga and .410. Also for low pressure loads there are some good Federal hull loads. Enjoy and have fun shooting them.
Michael K. Burnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
King Brown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Some primers fit loosely in Cheddite hulls. I've forgotten which. I vouch for Cheddite hulls.
King Brown is offline   Reply With Quote