Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

just a tip
Unread 10-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default just a tip

as every one knows that fool with 8 gauges that the once fired hulls of remington industrial hull are really hard to put the wads in...they hold there memory crimp very well which is 6 point..i have never used a spin doctor as i do not own one i came up with a good idea which some people may already know..i used my10 ga trimmer that does the hull trim to 2 7/8 it has an ajustment screw on it to set for desired lentgh of hull...i set the trimmer at 3 1/8 inch thus taking off 1/8 inch the hull being 3 1/4 inch long...it is now perfecly round the plastic wads go in fairly easy now...i have been loading with fiber wads that are hard as a brick they are still rough to put in but i soled this by cutting the 1/2 inch wad in half with a knife put them in sideways and straiten up with wad driver...and if your out of wads over shot split the 1/8 inch wad over powder in half and use it for over shot...the hulls i roll crimp them when fired they go back to being round again...hope this helps someone it makes loading the once fired remington hull a lot eaiser....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

With the 10 or 12 when I roll crimp there's always some shell left rolled in. My friend, a machinist, turned on his lathe a cone with a 1/4 stub to chuck in my hand drill. When I get it turning it's inserted in the shell and the heat from friction opens the shell back up. Kind of like the one BPI sells. I to have always cut the 1/2 fiber wad in half to make it easier to insert. When using plastic wads in the 10 and needing a filler wad in the plastic wad because it's smaller, it's easy to get it stuck in the drop tube and then the shot comes back up out of the shell. For any newbees loading with a filler wad I first push the plastic wad down tight and then push the filler wad down very easy till it just touchs the plastic.