Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 03-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #21
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,125 Posts

Different gun.
Here's the description on the gun in question;
serial #4556, 10 ga., 32" damascus barrels with fair bores showing some raised dents in right tube toward muzzle. This shotgun was manufactured in early 1875 and according to a May 1, 1874 dated Parker price list, this was indeed the highest grade gun offered. On a May 1, 1877 dated Parker price list a $300 grade gun was offered. The gun is beautifully engraved with lovely relief scroll on the rear of locks and on hammers with the forward section of locks showing a finely executed geometric pattern. The center of the locks show wonderful game scenes with two setters on left in a field with flushing bird while the right side shows a pointer looking over a rock at a woodcock which is holding in some tall grass. The belly of the action shows patent dates and scroll with a standing buck in panel scene at forward most section and bordered in relief scroll. The triggerguard bow shows a lovely scene of a duck hunter in marshy scene with ducks in flight overhead and gun dog at his side with a freshly retrieved duck in mouth. The fences are beautifully sculpted in a stylized arcaded design. The barrels show excellent damascus pattern their entire lengths and have a pleasing appearance but are likely unshootable. The action and locks bear a pleasing smooth and even gray patina with all engraving remaining crisp. The European walnut buttstock and key fastened forend shows very nice figure and is fitted with its original steel skeleton buttplate which is a gray patina with worn engraving. The stock has a rounded pistolgrip with fancy checkering and well-defined dropper points. The stocks rate excellent having been beautifully and very lightly refinished with proper hand rubbed oil and with the checkering being sharp and crisp. This is an extremely handsome and early high grade Parker. This shotgun was made when the 1873 Winchester was newly released, Marlin had yet to develop a repeating rifle and Baker and Lefever had yet to open their shops. This Parker represents the very finest and highest grade American shotgun available at the time it was built. A great opportunity for the Parker collector to acquire a fine example of the A1 Special of its day. (18105-3) {ANTIQUE}
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #22
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Most likely from Steve Barnett
Unread 03-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #23
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

No, that's the description from Amoskeag. It is a 12 ga. Ser. No. 4558. I went to examine it for a friend.

I think different guns are being confused with each other.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #24
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,409 Times in 3,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Where did that listing come from?
Robin Left it with Steve Barnett while at Hausmanns, and it's on Steve's website.
It is an absolutely beautiful gun, and I'm a little surprised no one has snapped it up.

https://stevebarnettfineguns.com/par...r-ahe-16-gauge
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 03-15-2017, 05:03 PM   #25
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd allen View Post
Different gun.
I'm aware of that Todd.
The point of my bringing up Robins gun was to lend credence to a lining method (Steve refers to the liners as 'sleeves') which would save the existing barrels. This is possibly the same as what Teague did, but, as it was done by Brad Bacheldor, the 'Teague' terminology was not used.
I don't quite understand why monoblocking is referred to sleeving, when 'lining' is installing a sleeve, and not new barrel tubes. But, what do I know.
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 03-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #26
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
I don't quite understand why monoblocking is referred to sleeving, when 'lining' is installing a sleeve, and not new barrel tubes. But, what do I know.
Me too Edgar, but that's what was done to Robin's AHE 16... about invisibly "monoblocked."

The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-15-2017, 09:41 PM   #27
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Then it's the longest monblock ever, as they're the original barrels, muzzle to breach.
Unread 03-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #28
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Ok Edgar.