Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #21
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Kirk, if you buy wads for the SW hulls like RST, the Fed hulls are the same so your wads will work in them also. They lay all over at my gun club. Not many seem to load them. Bill, my loads with the CB-3118 wad stick up into the crimp area - they just fold over with the crimp - I don't trim them. Also, your little home made spacer- all you need is a spacer cut the right shape to fit under the shell hold down plate. That way you can still use it to locate the shells under the drop tube, first and final crimp. I also straighten out the fingers on the shell plate so it fits flat. On the back side of the press table is usually a 1/4/20 hole [ or make one ] . I run a 1/4-20 screw through the spacer and plate into the table to keep everything down . Sometimes the plate wants to lift on the upstroke after the final crimp.
Unread 03-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #22
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just wondering if someone knew I found a nice load I would like to try but it calls for a gualandi gu1222 which I guess they don't make anymore. Could I substute a fiber wad and still remain at or under the pressure and velocity . Also does anyone know does fiber wad cause more recoil than plastic wads. And thanks all for schooling me a little.
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #23
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,173 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
Bill, my loads with the CB-3118 wad stick up into the crimp area - they just fold over with the crimp - I don't trim them. Also, your little home made spacer- all you need is a spacer cut the right shape to fit under the shell hold down plate. That way you can still use it to locate the shells under the drop tube, first and final crimp. I also straighten out the fingers on the shell plate so it fits flat. On the back side of the press table is usually a 1/4/20 hole [ or make one ] . I run a 1/4-20 screw through the spacer and plate into the table to keep everything down . Sometimes the plate wants to lift on the upstroke after the final crimp.
Yeah Paul, I don't think those wad petals being too long is a problem. I have trimmed them but I should follow your method and just crimp the darn things the way they are.

I checked my MEC Sizemaster - no holes to accommodate a hold down screw, or two. May think about making one, probably smaller tho (easier drilling) like a 6 - 32.
OH Osthaus/Rick Losey showed me his MEC Short Kit Plate and I traced it and made a 1/4 inch spacer as you describe. Those tabs in the hold down plate in their original position tilts that spacer plate. Could straighten those tabs out tho to make it sit flat. Definitely worth looking at.

And Kirk, I haven't used fiber wads but wouldn't think they would affect the pressure that much. If they did, wouldn't think it would be much, positive or negative.

Fun stuff.
Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2016, 09:20 AM   #24
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Guys. After getting some great ideals from everyone on this site. Anxious to take on this custom shotgun reloading operation in my garage lol. I began to look at prices and wow. I figure roughly $7 a box. Am I missing anything. I saw Winchester steel shot in Walmart the other day for $5.49 a box and I already have my hulls. Anyone done any research on buying the shells over the counter , taking them apart and using the components to reload their own lol lol. It may be worth looking into. See you in the field. Thanks everyone for help
Unread 03-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #25
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Mckinney View Post
Just wondering if someone knew I found a nice load I would like to try but it calls for a gualandi gu1222 which I guess they don't make anymore.
call Ballistic Products, gualandi wad numbers are gauge plus height - so that is a 12 gauge - 22mm

i believe - its the same as this (its what i have been using)

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/CS1...tinfo/072CS12/
Unread 03-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #26
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,173 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Mckinney View Post
Guys. After getting some great ideals from everyone on this site. Anxious to take on this custom shotgun reloading operation in my garage lol. I began to look at prices and wow. I figure roughly $7 a box. Am I missing anything. I saw Winchester steel shot in Walmart the other day for $5.49 a box and I already have my hulls. Anyone done any research on buying the shells over the counter , taking them apart and using the components to reload their own lol lol. It may be worth looking into. See you in the field. Thanks everyone for help
Kirk,

For loading these light loads, the economics of it is only part of it. I estimate that my 2 1/2" and 2 3/4" 0.5 and 0.72 ounce loads are costing me around $4.00 - $4.25 per box of 25. To get down in that neighborhood you have to get your components at realistic prices and usually in quantity.

Hulls at no cost, lead at around $42.00 for 25 pounds, primers at around $33.00 per 1000, powder at around $20 - 22 per pound and wads at around 2 cents each. My filler wads for 1/2 ounce loads are from Circle Fly at around 1.5 cents each.

Alliant Extra Lite powder that I use for the 1/2 ounce loads is tough to find. I had to go the internet route to find an 8 pound jug and bite the bullet to have it shipped. The powder, shipping and haz-mat fee put the cost of that jug at about $180.00 or about $22.50 per pound. But when I can load 500 rounds or 20 boxes of 1/2 ounce loads for one pound of powder, I'm happy with that.

RST in PA is a good source of light 12 gauge loads at around $10.50 per box for light stuff and up from there. Shipping is an extra cost. If you go to any of the side by side shoots around the eastern part of USA, they may be there and you can save shipping.

As for finding a good buy on ammo and taking them apart for the components, I think kinda risky unless you find a published recipe for using those components. AND DO NOT SHOOT STEEL SHOT IN YOUR STERLINGWORTH.

You might research using the quite available IMR 700X powder that works fine for 3/4 ounce using Claybuster CB0175-12 wads, Winchester primers, Winchester AA or any current Remington hull - Gun Clubs, STS's, Nitro Gold, etc. For 7/8 ounce do the same thing but get your self some CB0178-12 wads.

You probably won't save much money but you'll be able to load up some light stuff that would other wise cost you more $$.

Besides, it's fun.
Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #27
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill you are right. Loading for my kimber 45 was fun and a get away from the hustle and bustle from the work day. I am sure this will be the same. I was just joking about cutting up factory shells for the components and I'm sure the recipe for those are in a vault somewhere. But I think I will try one of your loads and carvels I also got one from Paul I think I will try. Tom shared one with me I will share 2 1/2 rst hulls Winchester 209 primers 1 oz shot 20 gr. International clays gualandi gu 1222 wad 1200 fps at 6800 psi. Sounds like a great hunting load. Look above for locating the wad. My gun has 30 inch barrels with full and mod. I think. I know I have a full. So for skeet I may look for a 3/4 or 78 load with fiber wad for a bigger pattern. A gunsmith who is well known down here Saadi he could lengthen the cones and open the chokes. But I can't change anything about this gun. I know as far a Sxs its a plane Jane gun but it's my first. Feels great and I feel the same when I'm shooting it. By the way no I won't ever shoot steel. I bought 4 boxes of bismuth from rst at $60 a pop. Just so I wouldn't be setting on the bank this fall with nothing in my hands anyone that might have a good lp fiber wad 3/4 or 7/8 oz. let me know. I'm not good enough of a shot for 1/2 oz. Yet . Anyway have a great day. See you in the field
Unread 03-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #28
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the info on the wad OH Osthaus that is one hunting load I will use a lot.
Unread 03-19-2016, 04:01 PM   #29
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Kirk, it's hard to find low pressure loads and or 3/4 or 7/8oz loads. I get primers for 112/5000, powder 108/8lbs, wads 85/5000, and shot for 35/25lbs. I can load 3/4oz 12ga shells for around 3.50/25. Once you accumulate enough stuff you can reload about anything you want, not wait for it to go on sale, or hunt around for some special load you want. Try finding 10ga 2 7/8" shells. I can load them for just a bit more [ I get free once fired shells ] at 1oz because the wads cost more. Kirk, go ahead and sub in fiber wads for plastic, your pressure will drop because the gas seal is not as good. Circlefly has what you need. Get some .125 over powder cards, 1/2 " fiber cushion wads, and might as well get some .028 over shot cards in case you want to roll crimp - they look really cool - amaze your friends with them. Get the 1/2" cushion wads so you can split them to get the right height of your components for a good crimp. CFs web site has reloading info. Bill, that's why I put a screw through the spacer and shell plate - the shell plate would want to come up sometimes on the up stroke after the final crimp after I straightened the tabs. That's why I use the CBers wad - much cheaper than BPI wads. Your right about the CB-0175 wad - makes a nice 3/4oz load. Kirk, if you can't find 3/4oz loads for a powder you can get just use the data for 7/8oz load and go to 3/4oz. CBers has a paper with the wads giving different loads with different powders. Win, Rem, Cheddite primers and a couple of others will all load the same. The Fed 209A and CCI 209M are hot primers and you'll have to drop about .5 grs if subbing one of them.
Unread 03-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #30
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Paul does the mec Jr. Do a good job resizing the 12 gauge hulls ? I know they are cheaper than sizemaster.