Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-17-2016, 08:11 PM   #11
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,155 Times in 3,259 Posts

the MEC 600 Jr resizes on the first station in combination with the depriming
Unread 03-17-2016, 11:27 PM   #12
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,178 Times in 271 Posts

Default 2 1/2" Loads

Kirk,

Here’s what I’ve been doing to load 12 gauge light loads in 2 1/2" RST straight walled hulls for light 1/2 and 3/4 ounce loads. Actual weights are 0.50 and 0.72 ounces from my tweaked MEC charge bar.

I use the neon green Clay Buster CB6100-12 wad intended for one ounce loads. I use a 0.125" thick card wad in the bottom of the shot cup for my 1/2 ounce load. Nothing needed in the bottom of the shot cup for my 3/4 ounce.

In both cases, the petals are a little (1/16") higher than the shot volume. I have trimmed off a little of each petal before loading but I'm thinking that it is not necessary??

I use once plus fired RST 2 1/2" hulls and they look fine when finished, nice 6 point crimps, not dished or crushed.

I use a MEC Sizemaster for my loading and for the crimp start and final crimp stations, all that I did was use a 1/4" thick wood spacer at those stations to raise the hull to the 2 3/4" height. (In the pictures below, note that I have my MEC Sizemaster sitting in a low walled box to contain those in evitable lead shot spills.)

My load data:
½ ounce: RST 2 ½” hulls; Winchester 209 primer; 14.2 grains of Alliant Extra Lite powder (MEC #26 bushing); CB6100-12 wad; 0.125” card wad in bottom and ½ ounce lead shot.
3/4 ounce: RST 2 ½” hulls; Winchester 209 primer; 14.6 grains of IMR 700X powder (MEC #25 bushing); CB6100-12 wad; no card wad in bottom and 0.72 ounce lead shot.

Have shot both loads on the skeet and sporting clays field and they sound and feel great. Very satisfied.

I may send some test loads to Tom Armbrust but I don't think he does any testing in cold Illinois weather. I use basically the same recipe in loading standard 2 3/4” hulls and have had those tested by Tom Armbrust with the following results for ½ ounce loads with Win hulls, Win primers, 14 grains EL powder (MEC #26 powder bushing) average of 5100 psi at an average speed of 1367 fps. The ¾ ounce loads are from published 700X recipes and are around 6500 psi and 1250 fps.

I get my card wads from Craig Smith of Circle Fly Wads in PA and they cost about 1.5 cents each including postage per 1000.

Here's a thread from last June on a similar subject: http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16638

Bill Jolliff

Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Jolliff For Your Post:
Unread 03-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #13
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Bill..... Looks like I am in business. I really like light loads. I think this will do great.They look great and at those pressures my old gun will smile. If I could get it to kick like a 22 rifle I would. lol I am not to familiar with shotgun powders or loading shotshells. But I will definitely give this one a try. Have you ever tried putting more shot in your 3/4 reciepe? like maybe 7/8 Just wondering I have shot the Falcon ultra light and although I like the minimal kick they seemed to break clay in to big pieces. Maybe my aim. Second thought I am pretty sure its my aim One other question have you ever loaded these with fiber wads. I kinda like the expanded pattern I get. Plastic wads at 30yds are only about 24inches in dia. with my gun with Holland & Holland fiber wads they are about 32 in. dia. Is 25 about where I should want to be?? 30 yards seems pretty far for such a small pattern.

Thanks for the Help
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Mckinney For Your Post:
Unread 03-18-2016, 08:25 AM   #14
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

The mec jr DOES resize the brass, just a different way. It has a sizing ring where as the grabber, sizemaster, 9000, and supersizer have a collet with fingers. Federal and all the foreign shells are a straight walled hull where the Win and Rem have a tapered wall. The CB-1100 was made for the TW hull. CB also makes a wad for the SW hull even though they claim the other wads will work in the SW hull, which they will - they're just a loose fit and allow some blow by. If you load the powder and take the shell out of the press and shake it with your finger over the ends you probably find powder has got by the wad. Next time you buy some wads do yourself a favor and buy the other wads - believe they're a CB-2100-12 for straight walled hulls.
Unread 03-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #15
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Mckinney View Post
Thanks Bill.....
Have you ever tried putting more shot in your 3/4 reciepe? like maybe 7/8 Just wondering.
Thanks for the Help
Kirk,

I have not tried anything heavier than 0.72 oz in my 2 1/2" loads. I'm using these loads in a 1900 vintage H&H hammer gun with steel barrels that has the 2 1/2" chambers. The gun is Nitro Proofed for 1 1/8 oz loads according to the proof marks but I'm just sticking with the light loads for that gun.

You could easily go to 7/8 ounce with that wad (neon green Clay Buster CB6100-12). Might have to bump the powder up a tad tho. Should be published recipes for that load. I just haven't tried it.

I have an early A grade 12 gauge Fox that I also use the same basic loads for but use the 2 3/4" Win AA and Remington tapered wall hulls and the appropriate CB0175-12 wads. Same Circle Fly wads in the bottom of the shot cup to take up space.

And for your 12 gauge Sterlingworth, 2 3/4" shells are fine for that gun. No need to go to 2 1/2". And as you mention, you like them "light".

I have not used fiber wads but as you found out, those loads would tend to open up more than shot cups.

As an aside, I load some 12 gauge loads using un-popped pop corn kernals for shooting red squirrels in the barn. Don't have to worry about shooting holes in the roof. And they actually work good for skeet station 8 shots. I use 12 grains of that Alliant Extra Light powder, cut the bottom of a CB 0175-12 wad to use over the powder and the rest pop corn. Can get 0.3 ounces of pop corn in that load. I've patterned them in the snow, and as you point out, opens up the pattern. But fine for anything less than about 20 - 25 feet.

Speaking of Alliant Extra Light powder, it's been kind of hard to find but is a great light 12 gauge light load powder. IMR 700X is good too for slightly heavier loads: 0.6 and 0.72 ounce loads.

Hope some of this helps.
Unread 03-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #16
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

Bill, I use a similar popcorn load on bears that cannot seem to stay away from the house. At 25 yards a shot between the hind legs makes them huff a bit but they learn the lesson.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #17
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,155 Times in 3,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Jolliff View Post
As an aside, I load some 12 gauge loads using un-popped pop corn kernals for shooting red squirrels in the barn.

i certainly hope you wear your Genesee beer t shirt then

only seems appropriate
Unread 03-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #18
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Luckily Gary, we don't have to worry about bears.

Has it ever just made them mad and then looking for a fight? Then I guess, you just switch from pop corn to lead.
Unread 03-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #19
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post

i certainly hope you wear your Genesee beer t shirt then

only seems appropriate
Gotta wear my Genny Beer T- Shirt!
Unread 03-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #20
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill thanks for the info... I think I can get several loads out of this info. I am looking forward to experimenting ( within reason) the info I got on this form. I really didn't know there were so many different ways to load a shotgun shell, wads, hulls, powder, crimp and on it goes. Oh well I guess figuring all that out is half the fun of reloading. Keeps it interesting.
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote