Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

2.5 inch Low Pressure 12ga Load
Unread 06-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
Scott Stevens Smith
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 2.5 inch Low Pressure 12ga Load

Gentlemen,

I recently purchased a 12 ga Parker PH with 2 5/8" chambers and twist barrels. I had the gun checked out and it was deemed safe to shoot with low pressure loads. I went on to the alliant powder website and got the following load. 2 3/4" Remington STS hulls, 1 oz shot, rem 209P primer, WAA12L shot cup and 18 grns of Green Dot. The operating pressure of this load is supposed to be approximately 6300 PSI.

What I did to achieve the shorter shell length was cut down the OAL of the hull to 2.5" and then loaded it on my MEC 600 as normal but added an overshot card under the crimp to keep the shot from falling out. Below is a pricture.

Any opinions on the load and what do you think about the technique of adding the overshot card under the crimp? Will it increase pressure?
Scott Stevens Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Scott, just load 2 3/4 low pressure loads like the recipe you stated. Your 2 5/8 gun is made for 2 3/4 paper shells. Tests of shooting 2 3/4 loads in the shorter chambers has shown a 2 to 3 hundred pound pressure increase . It is possible to find loads if you want down to the 5000 PSI range. I know shooters that shoot the load you mention.
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to E Robert Fabian For Your Post:
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

Robert's advice is perfect. The first eighth of an inch of the forcing cone is almost chamber diameter anyway. You will probably gain no pressure by using a 2 3/4" Remington empty. Another method of pressure change is to go to a 7/8 ounce load as long as it fills the shell and crimps well.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 06-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Dave Miles
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevens Smith View Post
Gentlemen,

I recently purchased a 12 ga Parker PH with 2 5/8" chambers and twist barrels. I had the gun checked out and it was deemed safe to shoot with low pressure loads. I went on to the alliant powder website and got the following load. 2 3/4" Remington STS hulls, 1 oz shot, rem 209P primer, WAA12L shot cup and 18 grns of Green Dot. The operating pressure of this load is supposed to be approximately 6300 PSI.

What I did to achieve the shorter shell length was cut down the OAL of the hull to 2.5" and then loaded it on my MEC 600 as normal but added an overshot card under the crimp to keep the shot from falling out. Below is a pricture.

Any opinions on the load and what do you think about the technique of adding the overshot card under the crimp? Will it increase pressure?

Your style of crimp, is called the Hardin Crimp.
It will not increase pressure.
Dave Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Miles For Your Post:
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

If Mec would make their plunger that goes in the housing for the final crimp station with threads about 3/4" longer you could crimp shorter shells. I have one made with the longer threads and can crimp 2" shells. I've called them and complained but think it fell on deft ears. Paul
Paul Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 07-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,791 Times in 3,967 Posts

nice looking shell.. sure beats the look of my ready rolls...i have a 2 1/2 inch chambered lc smith 20 ga that i shoot 2 3/4 inch shells in all the time with no noticible effect...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
John Farrell, Charter Member #33
Forum Associate

Member Info

I am curious to know what kind of roll crimper you used to get the Hardin style crimp.
John Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

John, the Hardin Crimp is created with a standard crimper with an eight sided starter, not a roll crimper. The advantage of the Hardin Crimp is that you don't have to fool with a roll crimper. The Hardin Crimp, as Dave posted, is not an aggressive crimp, does not increase pressure over a similar load with another type of crimp. However, some loaders like to seal a Hardin Crimp with a sealer or wax to insure that the shotload stays in place under recoil from several discharges of the opposite barrel.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
Scott Stevens Smith
Forum Associate

Member Info

I use my regular reloading set up. Mine is a mec 650 Jr.
Scott Stevens Smith is offline   Reply With Quote