Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Help with RST 2 1/2 low pressure loads for 12 gauge
Unread 03-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #1
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Help with RST 2 1/2 low pressure loads for 12 gauge

Hello All
This is my first thread and new to the form. I recently purchased my first vintage sxs and will never go back. It shoots 2 1/2 inch low pressure loads. I have a bunch of empty hulls I would like to reload but knowledge of old loads is scarce. Anyone have any recipes they wouldn't mind sharing with me . I shoot skeet for practice. I hunt Quail ,Dove and Ducks down here in Texas. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks Kirk
P.S. There is something special about pulling one of these old guns out for a fine morning hunt. See you in the fields !
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

First I'll assume you already reload shotgun shells. Many guys shoot 2 3/4'' shells in 2 1/2" chambers. Pressures will only go up a couple of hundred pounds. But if you want to reload 2 1/2' that's fine. I've talked to the guys at Claybuster wads and he said if it was him, he wouldn't worry about using wads meant for say 1 1/4 oz loads with a formula for 1 or 7/8oz loads if the loads were down in the 7500psi and under. That way they would fit in 2 1/2" shells. Any data for 2 3/4 will work for 2 1/2 if you can get everything to fit. That's where the shorter cushion wad comes into play. In my Fed papers cut to 2 1/2 I use the CB-3118 wad meant for 1 1/4oz but load 7/8oz of shot, 16.5grs of 700X and a mild primer like Win or Cheddite will give 6500psi and 1150fps. In a Rem hull it's 7600psi. You could also substitute fiber wads for the correct load height [ for a good crimp ] and have even less pressure. Fiber wads will usually give about 10% less pressure, not always, but never more pressure. Go online to any of the powder companies for load data for the 2 3/4 and feel safe in using it. You'll just have to figure out a way to make it fit. One more option is to use a roll crimp - it takes about a 1/4' less shell to make the crimp. https://www.precisionreloading.com/ has the best roll crimp tolls that go in a drill. Good luck. Oh, my keyboard took a crap and prints only the foot symbol and not the inch symbol.
Unread 03-17-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just reread your question - I believe RST shells are straight wall hulls, so anything for Federal hulls will work. I know CBers claim their wads for Win and Rem will work in a Fed hull, but then why would they make a wad for straight walled hulls ? The ones for Win and Rem fit quite loose and you'd reduce pressure. I've always used the wads meant for straight walled hulls in them - after all, men like a tight fit.
Unread 03-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Im sorry Paul for being so green. No I hadn't loaded shotgun shells but I do load for my 45 auto. So any load for a 2 3/4 shell will be the same pressure. velocity etc if put in a 2 1/2 inch shell??? I know crimped there is only an 1/8 inch difference in length. I never thought of it that way. but I don't know anything about shotgun powders and wads . I only know that the recipes call for specific wads , powder etc. Even with my 45 I started with Bullseye and when it was extinct (now come back from the dead) I switched to Titegroup and I will never go back. I like less kick and all my 45 loads are down there. Ill look at some light 2 3/4 loads. Thanks for the input I may even try that load you use.
Unread 03-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #5
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

No, pressures will be a bit higher, but nothing to worry about if you load at low pressures, say 7500psi and under. With pistols, a grain can make a big difference. We have a little more lee way with shotguns seeing how our pressures are under 10,500 [ max for a 12ga ]. There are many loads with IMR 700x that are from 5000 to the 7500 range with a 7/8 or 1oz load [ all anyone needs ]. Many modern reloaders consider 5000 to 6000psi too low a pressure for good burns. And some are dirty but who cares, we're not shooting autos. What gun do you have ? Are you sure it has 2 1/2" chambers ? And some of our members shoot modern high pressure ammo in their Parker Damascus barrel guns with no ill effects. Most claim it has to be low pressure. To each their own, but a little more info on your gun would help. And someday maybe you'll also step up to a Parker.
Unread 03-17-2016, 04:57 PM   #6
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Its a Fox Sterlingworth 1929.... I had to go the inexpensive route, but I treat her like shes my one and only. Since I was a kid I wanted a sxs. Don't know why but finally got one . Its been refinished which kills the collector value , but shes beautiful.
T like 5000 to 6500 loads . do you know of any for 2 1/2 cheddite ?? I thought about lengthening the chambers but I wont change this old gun. If you cant hit them with a 2 1/2 you cant hit them with a 2 3/4
Cant wait to draw down on a duck this fall.
Unread 03-17-2016, 06:14 PM   #7
Carvel
PGCA Member

Member Info

I shoot an early parker hammer gun with Damascus barrels and 2 1/2 in chambers. I load on a MEC 600 jr with a short kit. Cheditte hulls, 17.6 gr american select, clay buster CB1100-12 wad, 7/8 oz shot and Nobel sport primers. The crimp looks fine and the pressure is under 7000. I have shot this combo for several with no issues. I am sure there are other loads that will work just as well. Carvel
Carvel Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #8
Carvel
PGCA Member

Member Info

I left out YEARS after several in the previous post.
Unread 03-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #9
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Great. I will probably try that one. Thanks Carvel. Sorry for the slow response. We got hammered here in Texas with hail this morning. Do u know the velocity by chance?? How does that mec Jr. do on sizing the high brass ??
Unread 03-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #10
Carvel
PGCA Member

Member Info

The MEC jr does not size the brass. I use a mec sizer in a separate operation. Carvel