Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

2 5/8 10 gauge load ...
Unread 10-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 602 Posts

Default 2 5/8 10 gauge load ...

Hi fellas ,I just finished up my big Greener and was wondering if anyone has any experience the 2 5/8 chamber ?

I have new Remington green hulls on hand,
CCI and Win 209 primers
SR 4756 powder
and BPI multi-metal wads

Thanks for any help
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hi Chris, SR 4756 is pretty slow for any shot weight under 1 5/8 oz. I once loaded up some 2 5/8" hulls with 1 1/2 oz. of shot,a trimmed back Rem SP wad and 30 gr. of SR 4756. I did not have much hull length left after adding the shot so I roll crimped it. The load worked fine but the powder did not seem to burn completely. Anyway, I went back to Red Dot for target loads and Green Dot for 1 3/8 oz. hunting loads for my short tens, and am much happier with those powders.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Austin J Hawthorne Jr. For Your Post:
Unread 10-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

chris any of the the short ten loads of pete lester s should work in the 2 5/8 inch hull you will have to play with how much wadding or cut some off the plastic wads... a real good load is 19 grains of reddot powder and 1 1/8 ounce of lead is a low pressure load and shoots mighty good or 21 grains of green dota 1 1/8 ounce of lead shot..you will be pleased with these loads...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'm aiming for a good hunting load for waterfowl in the 1 1/2 oz range ...I should of stated that earlier ,I'm also using Bismuth no -tox
Unread 10-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

Chris

there are several Bismuth loads for 4756 in Peter's chart- just not for that wad
Unread 10-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
Chris

there are several Bismuth loads for 4756 in Peter's chart- just not for that wad
Yeah ,I seen those Rick....I went about this the wrong way I know ,but getting reloading components where I live is a nightmare ,so I got whatever I could get my hands on and thought I could build a load around them ...not so easy
Unread 10-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #7
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

yeah, i get it

try tying salmon flies some day

wads are cheap to ship- try Precision Reloading or Ballistic products
Unread 10-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

They don't ship to Canada,I tried that route ...there's a guy on the mainland who brings their stuff across ...if all else fails I'll try him for some different wads,I would like to use what I have on hand .
Unread 10-06-2014, 05:41 AM   #9
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris dawe View Post
Hi fellas ,I just finished up my big Greener and was wondering if anyone has any experience the 2 5/8 chamber ?

I have new Remington green hulls on hand,
CCI and Win 209 primers
SR 4756 powder
and BPI multi-metal wads

Thanks for any help
Loading the Short Ten is made more complicated when components are difficult to obtain. Data is limited. With regards to your post I have a few thoughts and some questions.

First what are you trying to do with the load, for ducks or geese, decoy or pass shooting with bismuth? Or is this a game load with lead shot?

Remington green hulls are hard to place on the Sherman Bell data because he references black letter, white letter and OS. The new empty Remington hulls are devoid of any such markings. I think they are black letter from comparison, anyone else have experience with the ID of this hull?

I have used 4756 but don't any more, especially with loads in the 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 ounce range, it will break your heart. It's not if but when you will have a squib load. It will most likely happen when you are shooting at game. Been there done that.

The SP10 was is about the best wad to use when shooting lead and bismuth. Although Precision reloading won't ship to Canada. Can a friend in the US ship them to you? You really want to get some of these wads if you are going to reload a short ten.

The old tens are usually tightly choked and throw very dense patterns, because of that you will find they perform really well on game with what are considered light loads. 1 1/4 ounce of bismuth is very effective out to 50 yards if you are using the right shot size. A 1 1/4 ounce of lead out of good full choke will drop a crow as far as most people can shoot, 60 to 65 yards is not exaggerating. Pattern the gun, you may find 1 3/8 very satisfactory for Turkey's. I have found there is no need for the punishing recoil a 1 5/8 load will generate.

I loaded a bunch of 1 1/4 ounce bismuth #1 in the Remington hull for a snow goose hunt last year and I have a bunch of leftovers. This year and last I have been using them on decoying Canada's. They are folding the birds hard in the 30 to 35 yard range. I used 31 grains of 7625 and Win 209 primer, SP10 wad, a sliver of a cheerio for filler and 6 point crimp. They work great.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #10
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you Pete,I will see about some new wads ...what would you recommend as the best all around powder choice ? this gun will be used for decoy and pass shooting ducks .

Best ,
Chris