Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 05-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
WayBeau
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
you could contact some one like Brad Bachelder - he comes well recommended on this board - and this repair would be a no brainer for him.

http://www.bacheldermastergunmakers....s/Welcome.html
Thanks for the tip. Now if I can find someone nearby in Virginia.
WayBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,155 Times in 3,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayBeau View Post
Thanks for the tip. Now if I can find someone nearby in Virginia.
you can ship the barrels to an expert for repair - make sure any local "gunsmith" knows what he is doing - even for a simple fix.
Unread 05-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
WayBeau
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
you can ship the barrels to an expert for repair - make sure any local "gunsmith" knows what he is doing - even for a simple fix.
I was really hoping someone here would know and could recommend someone in Virginia. If not, I guess I'll be shipping the barrels. I've found a few people who seem to do very good work, just no one close by (or even in the state).
Unread 05-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

That would be a 15min job with a small brass hammer and a few pin gages. It will never look perfect but will certainly be minimized and sound.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Call these guys. Al Edge in Caroline County 804-448-1119, or Ned Purcell in Orange 540-661-3392. Talk to them. They can tell you whether they can do it. This is not a big job. Find a piece of pipe at the hardware store to serve as a mandrel and hammer it out with a brass headed hammer.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #16
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

WayBeau:
A set of pin gauges is likely to cost you more than the cost of this repair by a qualified gunsmith. Way more. If it were my gun, I'd simply take the barrels off, package them carefully and send them to Del Grego. With the help of UPS, your problem will be solved. And professionally so.

Best, Kensal
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #17
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

i agree with the fellows this looks like a easy fix...if youre to unsure of yor self to fix it just about any good car body man has the tools and rite hammers to fix this gun...sure the pros can fix this gun but there usally awful busy most of there turn around time is long....plus the cost of shipping and insuruance is gona not be cheap plus the pros want do this for nothing..im not running the pros down they do quality work....but this looks like a simple repair....just my 2 cents worth..... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #18
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

WayBeau:
I'm willing to bet a good smith will turn this around quite fast because it's so easy for a pro to do. But please... don't consider your local bump shop!
If you're really stuck for service, PM me. I'll fix it up for you gratis. Just pay shipping. And you will never see the fix.

Best, Kensal
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
WayBeau
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensal Rise View Post
WayBeau:
I'm willing to bet a good smith will turn this around quite fast because it's so easy for a pro to do. But please... don't consider your local bump shop!
If you're really stuck for service, PM me. I'll fix it up for you gratis. Just pay shipping. And you will never see the fix.

Best, Kensal
I'll most likely be contacting one of the guys that Ed Blake recommended, but thanks for the offer. I wouldn't take it to my local gun shop. I have a hard time taking ANYTHING there since they mounted the scope on my deer rifle with a gangster cant. Let's just say that I entered a whole new dimension of P.O.ed when I realized that it wasn't because I tend to lean to the right. That's also the last time I let someone pick up my stuff from anywhere after a service job. But I digress.

I do appreciate all of the replies and will definitely post pics once I get it fixed. The next step after that is, dare I say it, getting it refinished.