Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

pistol grip to straight
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
WilliamGuest
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default pistol grip to straight

As mentioned in my first intro post, I currently have a VH 12 gauge and PH on the way to me. I plan on getting the vh restored and having it completed hopefully this spring/summer. Originally this parker had a capped pistol grip, but the original stock is no longer with the gun. I'm wondering if it would take much value off, if I decided to go with a straight grip instead..the original trigger guard is in great shape, serial numbers are hardly wore and the border engraving is still quite crisp. So, would it hurt much if I used a replacement long tang trigger guard and just kept the original for safe keeping?? Or should I just go pistol grip as it was..

Thanks
WilliamGuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

William, The trigger guard bow for a straight grip gun in completely different from a pistol grip one. The straight grip bow has a long tang vs. the short tang on a pistol grip gun.
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,369 Posts

I would be more concerned about what I wanted if I was restocking the gun rather than what would increase or decrease the value. If I was in your situation I would be leaning towards a straight grip built to my dimensions for shooting. However you run the risk the original trigger guard will some day become separated from the gun and never reunited. I might look to see if someone could weld an extension on the original trigger guard, straighten it out and use that, but that's just me.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
WilliamGuest
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for the reply..I know the difference..I guess I never worded it right. Would I lose much value if I used a long tang trigger guard on a new straight grip buttstock and keep the original guard for safe keeping, or should I just have the new stock made into a pistol grip as it would have been originally and then use the original PG trigger guard..
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
WilliamGuest
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thats kinda what I was thinking J.B. Books....I think I would rather have the straight grip...and get the original tang straightened out and some length added to the end to look something like the original straight grips do..
The Following User Says Thank You to WilliamGuest For Your Post:
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamGuest View Post
Thats kinda what I was thinking J.B. Books....I think I would rather have the straight grip...and get the original tang straightened out and some lenght added to the end to look something like the original straight grips do..
Then go confidently in that direction, it can be done. Somewhere along the way I saw a p/g trigger guard that had been lengthened and it looked factory. Somebody around here knows who can do it and hopefully they will come along soon with that info.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
WilliamGuest
PGCA Member

Member Info

Well, The person that will be doing the wood and metal work on my gun is also a member here and also in Newfoundland, Chris Dawe. He has someone who does welding for him from time to time from what I understand, will probably check into that and throw it past him when we get to working on the gun.

Thanks again.
Unread 01-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,518 Times in 3,098 Posts

If it were me, I would put the PG trigger guard away, and buy the nice one that Galazan sells, have it engraved with the SN and then I would always have the option to restock it in the future, in it's original configuration. Once you modify the original one, there's no going back. Galazan's is $75, and to weld, finish and polish the old one, then have it re numbered in the correct location would, I'm sure, cost a lot more.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Good luck with it William, project guns can become money pits if you are not careful but they don't have to be. The point is to have fun with what you have and want what you have.
Unread 01-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
WilliamGuest
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yeah, I was looking at Galazan's...is very nice..I know there are a couple of options...Was just looking for someother opinions..Guess I got a little thinking on my hands...