Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Off face problem
Unread 03-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Tom
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Off face problem

Hi
I have been working on this project gun for a while now. I put a set of VH barrels on a DH, the face was loose so I epoxied a .004 shim onto the lug. I was very proud of my smoking and fitting the barrels, they came out nice and tight.

I just finished my tenth round of skeet with the gun and broke it down to clean it, the shim is gone !! Barrels off face again a complete waste of time. I deserve it for putting my faith in glue.

I am looking for advice on fixing it right. Can anyone tell me what actually wears, the hinge pin or the barrel lug ?

I hesitate to remove the pin for fear of buggering up the screw slot, but I will if that's the worn part. I was thinking take out the pin and either replace it or weld up the worn area and dress it back down.

If it's the barrel lug the only thing I can think of is to put a few beads of weld in the crescent area and again file most of it out until I have what I need.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you, Tom
Virginia Hessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

I am NOT a gun smith but I have been told that the way to fix it is to "spray weld" the lug and then file it to fit the pin. I understand the concept but wouldn't know how to begin that process. I do not think they want to get involved with the pin.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,226 Times in 12,373 Posts

Send the gun to a professional if you want it done right. You will never get it right by hand filing the radius in the hook on the barrel lug. A pro will do it correctly and he'll likely just work on the hook.

Don't attempt to remove the hinge pin. That is another job for a professional.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Use Permatex Black Max as an adhesive. Shims will stay in place with Black Max. Then one can remove the shim easily them.

Cut a spare shim just in case...

Leave the welding and filing to a pro.

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,521 Times in 4,620 Posts

The wear can be on the barrel hook and the roll joint. However, typical work will be done to the barrel hook.
Swapping out the roll joint with another one, or a new one, can remedy things or get you back to a place where you can work the hook some without having to add material.
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #6
paul stafford jr
Forum Associate

Member Info

the best way is to weld the hook. then re-cut the hook on a mill. but I have also had good luck with soldering a steel shim to the hook. that will last for years. use a small torch to tint the hook with solder then clamp the shim in place with a piece of dowl rod ,re-apply heat and sweat the two together. or send the whole thing to batchelder.
paul stafford jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #7
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,693 Times in 871 Posts

"I just finished my tenth round of skeet with the gun and broke it down to clean it, the shim is gone !! Barrels off face again a complete waste of time. I deserve it for putting my faith in glue. "

Working on a Sterlingworth and my shim disappeared. Could not find it. Took action back off the gun and it was under my floor plate when I took the stock off. So shim did not vanish, look down in the action or it fell off onto the ground. You can just place the shim on the roll pin and place the barrels on top of it. Then when you disassemble, remember it is there. I use red automotive grease for hinge pin grease and the shim is usually stuck there.

Of course the only permanent way is to have the hook welded up. As stated a professional job.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
Tom
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks everyone for the responses.

With your advice I am mulling over my options. This gun is my home project it really has no value, that being said it will not go to a gun smith. If this was a real nice gun I agree that would be the way to go. Worse case scenario I throw it in the garbage, but I doubt it will come to that.
I like the solder idea but I can't solder steel, maybe I'll give it some more tries. My first choice would be silver solder, I'm pretty good at that but I feel the heat required would ruin the solder joints in the barrels.
I called around locally and can't find anyone to spray weld the lug. I'm pretty good with a stick welder but that can get ugly fast so I'll hold off on that for now.
Thanks again for the replies I'll figure something out, Tom
Virginia Hessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
Parker Bachelder (Brad's Profile)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,925 Times in 202 Posts

Tom

The only good way to do a permanent fix is to Lazer weld the hook. never try to replace the pin. Lazer welding allows us to bond the hook with a hardened material. The process is so clean that it is visually undectable and it will never wear out.

Brad
Brad Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brad Bachelder For Your Post:
Visit Brad Bachelder's homepage!
Unread 03-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,226 Times in 12,373 Posts

Tom, you may want to send Brad a PM to discuss what's involved and a $ estimate for his work.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: