Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Fantastic time at the Vintagers and a Question
Unread 09-22-2019, 01:22 AM   #1
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Fantastic time at the Vintagers and a Question

First, what a memorable Vintage Cup! Well done to Tom and The Vintage Gunners. And of course, hats off to Hausmann’s for putting on an outstanding, well-run shoot. The weather was, of course, spectacular. The cocktail party was a touch of class. Best of all, the fine company. And congrats to team Parker!

*Seek and ye shall find, on Youtube. I carefully removed the lock and reset the hammers.* Finally, does anyone know how to assemble a back action Cogswell & Harrison Victor? I took it apart and can’t figure out how to reassemble. I assume I should not have released the hammers on snap caps before disassembly. But how to cock them?

Thanks and see you all in April at the Southern!

Joe
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Graziano For Your Post:
Unread 09-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,155 Times in 3,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Graziano View Post
I carefully removed the lock and reset the hammers.* Finally, does anyone know how to assemble a back action Cogswell & Harrison Victor? I took it apart and can’t figure out how to reassemble. I assume I should not have released the hammers on snap caps before disassembly. But how to cock them?

Joe
assemble the gun? the lock? - or re-install the lock?

i never had a lock i could not get a firm grip on the lock plate and pull the hammer back to full cock on

i have also had some guns you can put the lock in uncocked if you push the trigger forward to get the extension that contacts the sear out of the way
Unread 09-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

"you can put the lock in uncocked if you push the trigger forward to get the extension that contacts the sear out of the way."

This is probably the hang up. Without photos, it's hard to know "how much" you've disassembled the gun.

BUT... push the triggers down so that their upper blade drops below the sear arm on the lock... as you push the lock assembly into place. Do this on both the left and right lock/triggers. DON'T force anything. If you're still not able to get the locks in, take it to a good double gunsmith. He won't charge much, and will save any damage.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2019, 11:00 AM   #4
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gents, thanks for your advice. It was a sidelock rookie mistake. I eventually removed the locks, manually reset the hammers and reassembled the gun. It’s all set and I learned something new. The gun shoots beautifully. It’s on the 1878 Scott and Baker patent action,
Sleeved 16 ga barrels, 2 1/2 chambers, great modern stock dimensions, M/F chokes, a touch over 6 lbs. Can’t wait to take it out on upland birds soon.
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Graziano For Your Post: